Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First motorcycle camping trip of the year was great, but now I have a dilemma. My 20 year-old Honda Nighthawk 750 runs well but it's about time to spend some money on it. The 20 year-old gaskets are leaking a bit (just enough to be aggravating), and I decided to get them fixed. Then, on the trip, I noticed I needed new tires. Meanwhile, several budget-buster expenses have come up and it's hard to justify spending money on the bike. For the first time, I'm thinking about selling it.

I would feel selfish spending money on my bike when we have other needs. I'm the only one who rides and enjoys the Nighthawk; new porch furniture and new back yard sod can be enjoyed by the whole family. On the other hand, if I sell it, I know I'll never get another one, and at 63, I'm not ready to stop riding. Anybody else ever face a dilemma like this?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Just because right now you can't afford to put money into the bike doesn't mean you have to sell it. Why not put in some Stabil, put it on a battery tender, and park it until funds become available? That way, when your situation gets better, you won't be kicking yourself because you wished you had a bike, and you won't be trying to gather up even MORE money to go buy one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with store it awhile, its already paid for (I assume) so it is not eating anything.

Do the repair a little at a time. You eat an elephant one bite at a time they say.

Consider doing the work yourself:

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

If you need tires that's where you start. One at a time...

I love them nighthawks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man I'm 40 and I have the same financial decisions as you. There is plenty of stuff I could spend money on for the house, but since I live by myself it is not as important for me. I had pipes freeze and crack over the winter which took out my bathroom and kitchen floors, and part of the living room carpet. The part of the repairs that insurance didn't cover came out of my pocket. I still need some of the padding in the living replaced and the carpet re-stretched and I have just been putting it off since it's just me and the dog. I may even replace the floor entirely.
I had been saving up all winter to buy some new (better) riding gear and bike accessories. Guess where some of the money ended up going? Repairs. My advice is wait for the deck. Go one more summer as is and when the weather changes for the worse, get some prices then. Should be a little lower (like buying a bike). In the meantime try save up some of the money for the deck. My idea has always been as long as the house is still standing then I'm good.

·
6,509 Posts
You guys have apparently not contacted the full malignant dose of Motorcycleitis or you would have no choice but to put all things motorcycle first and the rest can come later.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
533 Posts
You guys have apparently not contacted the full malignant dose of Motorcycleitis or you would have no choice but to put all things motorcycle first and the rest can come later.
Porky, you know a good dose of wife will sometimes clear that right up!

No offense to any wife's reading this. And I would rather we didn't tell mine that I said it either. :icon_cool:

In all seriousness, it is good that the OP is putting family obligations first. That is the right thing to do, I just hope he can work something out to keep his bike in the process.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I never met a man that didn't regret selling a Honda Nighthawk. They are relatively bulletproof to own. Change the oil regulary, tires as necessary and keep the chain lubed and they'll usually run for a long time. The cost of ownership is relatively low on Nighthawks. I agree with Eye: store it for a while and fix it as you can afford. It's a lot cheaper than selling and having to come up with money to replace it.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Well, as a wife, all I can say is Store that bike!!! Go to an auction, yard sale, etc and get some good lightly used porch furniture. Buy a couple of $30.00 bags of grass seed instead of sod. And for goodness sakes, talk another family member or two into riding with you. :D :D

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Park it

Park it for a bit. You have lots of time. Do whatever work on the house and bike that you can. I do all my own work. Have been three weeks working on my boat. One bike is not running, so it will have to sit until I get time.
Missed the bike races last weekend, because of too much other stuff happening.

I will be 69 in July and still adding to the bike roster.
Hope it all works out okay for you. It always does in the end.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
"63" is the new "43" these days..........you'll buy another one!!
Sell it and that gives you a REASON to shop for another one.

The Spouse will see how willing you were to surrender your bike for the sake of the family, and WANT to see you replace it, later down the road, after she basks a while on the new furniture and on the new Deck.

Just don't make the mistake of moaning about it. When "next Spring" is nearly here, let her see your interest in the bikes at a showroom or two, and WHALA............you have a new bike!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,660 Posts
You need to meet my first wife soupy. There's a bunch of reason why she's first and not only. Selfish was just one item that became apparent after several years. 16 hour days 7 days a week did not fix it either. I don't think OSHA even allows that anymore but it sure never stopped her "wants".

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
............... 16 hour days 7 days a week did not fix it either.......... it sure never stopped her "wants".
I guess what you're saying is, that no matter how much you tried to put her first, it was never enough? Sorry to hear that, bro. I have (after 37 years of marriage to the same gal; my college sweetheart) found that when both individuals consider themselves as second to the other (not in a forced or intentionally "see how humble I am" way), there is a bond, a closeness, that is stronger than steel. We still have our rough spots, and a marriage truly IS something that needs to be worked at, every day.

Back when the kids were around, it was easy to see our mutual objectives as parents, and our purpose in our lives together. Once they grew and moved out, it was hard to re-find our focus and purpose. The Grand kids cured THAT! (lol).

I realize of course that my former posting in here sounds manipulative, but that is not the intent. It is important to be honest with your spouse in all things, so I would tell her, "I think we can come up with some needed money to fund the deck and stuff we want to get done, so I think I'm going to put the bike up for sale to generate some funds, and then perhaps later down the road, we can go look at replacing the bike, if possible. What do you think, hon?" That keeps things on the up-and-up, and still leaves a window for riding again someday.

Hopefully your second wife and you have been able to see things more eye-to-eye, and more fairly.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,660 Posts
1957 said:
Hopefully your second wife and you have been able to see things more eye-to-eye, and more fairly.
Actually the shoe is on the other foot. I retired and she is still working. So I have to make sure I'm always there for her. Which she takes advantage of sometimes. I was the security type on protecting company assets so she tries to grab what I "knew" and use it today's world so I have to remind her that was a LONG time ago. Things have improved dramatically.

So sometimes she thinks I'm holding things back when in fact it's just changed so. And I have to do dishes and stuff. WOMAN's work! Ya know? It works. I can handle it and all the bull I get from others. It's all part of the package. Under different circumstances I'd be a pedophile so the way it is now is just fine.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, nobody's going to buy a bike with leaking gaskets, so I'll have to get that fixed to sell it. Same thing with tires. My latest plan is to fix it myself, get new tires, and put it on craigslist. If nobody agrees to pay the price I set, I won't sell it since it won't bring much anyway. If someone wants it for that price, I guess it's gone. I'm not going to give up on getting another one, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's been almost a year and I still have the Nighthawk. It sat for all that time, but I recently put in a new battery and took it for a test ride: had a flat tire.

Now I have new tires in the trunk and am planning my spring camping trip in the TN mountains. I decided to keep riding. Thanks for all the encouragement last year.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Lucky You!! Glad to hear you kept the bike and are planning your trip! We only got to ride once last year due to Randy's hand issue. It was a miserable year!!! We're now looking for a trike. I'm so anxious to get one, kind of like a little kid on Christmas eve. :)

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I had an 82 Nitehawk and put 101,000 miles on it before I gave it to a guy to ride that couldn't afford a bike. He rode it for a couple years before cancer got the best of him. At least he got to ride.

I still have the title to the bike, but it's long gone, don't know what ever happened to it, but it would look good next to my old 360 in the barn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
that's great that you kept your bike. unfortunately, my bike sits more than it gets ridden, but i know that if i sell it, i will regret it immediately. it's paid for and not costing me anything so i just keep hanging on to it. enjoy your trip. i love camping but have never tried a camping trip on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Motorcycle camping is fun. We camp on the North River just off the Cherohala Skyway in Tennessee. Lots of fantastic riding nearby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts