Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda...

I'm actually in a move from Georgia to Ohio right now, so wish me luck! I accepted a graduate assistantship and a TA position at Bowling Green recently. I guess you could say I'm leaving my nest after being settled for far too long... and what better way to highlight that move, than with a BRC and gently used motorcycle?

Wish me luck as I prepare to deal with the frigid Ohio winters!

-Also-
This forum has answered ALOT of questions for me as a new rider. So thanks for that. Time to give back in whatever way I can! Plus, everyone seems really cool on this forum, so here's to you!

I have questions of my own to ask, as well as a progress report for gearing up and getting ready to ride for the first time, but I'll save that for a different section of the forum. For now I'll just say I have plans to buy a CBR250.

Cheers!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum. Have you taken the BRC yet or will you take it in Ohio? Either way, Good Luck to you in all of your new ventures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im scheduled to take the BRC in Ohio! I'll be teaching English.

Isn't it odd that the BRC is $250 in GA, and $50 in Ohio?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
The BRC is $215 in MO and I've seen others on the Forum talk about it being Free in their state. But it is well worth it.

It teaches you a lot of the basics you need, you get to practice those in a controlled environment where they can tell you if you are doing something wrong and they teach you a lot of the things you need to be thinking about and looking for while riding to keep yourself safer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will you help us with our grammar?
I aim to never correct anyone on their grammar hahaha. Communication is more important than the method, I find. Also. California emission checks. Are they horrible? I would hate it...

I'm not savvy enough to quote more than once... ><

MONI:
I hear that the BRC teaches almost nothing about Counter-Steering... which is actually what I think will be the most challenging for me.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
It was taught in our class. If it's not covered for you there are a LOT of threads here on the Forum that will help you.

Do you have a bicycle or access to one? If so go ride it and then make a left hand turn by only pushing on your left handle bar. Then try a right turn by pushing on the right handle bar. You will then understand what counter steering is all about. That is the best way I know of to help you learn it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a bicycle or access to one?
I just sold mine! :frown: But I'm sure I'll be fine. No use in worrying about something in the future. If they teach it, great! If not, I'll ride around in big parking lots for a few hours.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
Okay, I can't sit back and watch anymore. I don't normally respond to noobs but in this case I'll make an exception. Beware bucko. Do you really think there was no one better qualified that was resident. They got you to move so they know they can control you. You don't have any control now and they know it. It is all about control. I'll let you sit back and think about that now. Beware grasshopper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beware bucko. Do you really think there was no one better qualified that was resident. They got you to move so they know they can control you.
Thanks for the warning. I think I'm ok! :) There is actually a pretty good reason to 'shop' out of state. It's known as 'academic inbreeding'. Its why I didn't apply to my alma mater, because I already know the faculty really well, and they've given me all the experience they can. In fact, they flat out told us they would reject all applications from former students to the programs they offer.

The position came as a package deal. Free tuition to grad school + a two year paid position. Applications for these types of programs are pretty intense. Trust me when I say that I am getting a good deal here. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Communication is more important than the method,
I like that; I only wish my high school English teacher felt the same way.:frown:

I find. Also. California emission checks. Are they horrible? I would hate it...
I manage a truck shop. We deal with the EPA and CA air resources board all the time. They are costing the trucking industry millions of dollars for nothing. Guess who pays for those costs? To bring an older truck up to CA air resources requirements is about $18,000 dollars. Our primary industry in this state is agriculture, and it all moves by truck. :mad:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. Congrats on the new position and I am so sorry you are moving here...lol Given that you are moving to Bowling Green, I hope you like flat straight roads. If you like the twisties you will end up like most of us, taking trips down to Southern Ohio, Kentucky or Tennessee to let out our frustrations. And yep, the winter sucks here. Be prepared to ride in freezing temps to get rid of the cabin fever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from Ohio. Congrats on the new position and I am so sorry you are moving here...lol Given that you are moving to Bowling Green, I hope you like flat straight roads. If you like the twisties you will end up like most of us, taking trips down to Southern Ohio, Kentucky or Tennessee to let out our frustrations. And yep, the winter sucks here. Be prepared to ride in freezing temps to get rid of the cabin fever.
Haha. Thanks. So thermal jackets and lots of layering, right? Perhaps the straight roads will be good for practicing. New scenery at least! Hopefully after I move up in bike size I will take a road trip back down south. I love North Carolina.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Ohio is not all that challenging. Yes there is winter to deal with, but my local weather is basically the same as Ohio. I still ride 12 months each year. Yes there are days when local roads have snow or ice on them and I do not ride. On the other hand there are lots of days when it is only cold. If you dress appropriately those are riding days. Your own tolerance will determine how long the riding season is.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Im scheduled to take the BRC in Ohio! I'll be teaching English.

Isn't it odd that the BRC is $250 in GA, and $50 in Ohio?
Prices vary all over the place. I am in Illinois where they ask you to put up $20 when you register but they refund the whole thing if you actually show up for the classes. The state here, read that as taxpayers, cover the entire cost of the BRC. Every state has a degree to which they support the BRC. It sounds like Ohio feels it is more important to its state than where you are moving from. Maybe GA has reasons to make sure the cost to a student is high. Maybe they don't see a public benefit to the course.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Other motorcycle riders actually fund the Illinois programs. They are paid for through the DOT from motorcycle registration and licensing fees.

Don't sweat the countersteering. It is covered specifically in the class on day two, even though you will be using it often on day one (sometimes without even realizing it). You push left to go left and push right to go right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Other motorcycle riders actually fund the Illinois programs. They are paid for through the DOT from motorcycle registration and licensing fees.

Don't sweat the countersteering. It is covered specifically in the class on day two, even though you will be using it often on day one (sometimes without even realizing it). You push left to go left and push right to go right.
That's actually really cool.

Since the course I'm taking is a three day course, I bet the first day is going to be all classroom lecture. Probably. At least I'll be well equipped for day one! :icon_cool:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That's actually really cool.

Since the course I'm taking is a three day course, I bet the first day is going to be all classroom lecture. Probably. At least I'll be well equipped for day one! :icon_cool:
The first 1/2 day (or evening) is classroom. There won't be much lecture, but a lot of participation from the students going over the workbook material.

I meant range day two. Exercise 11 "Pressing to Initiate Lean" specifically covers countersteering. The class is divided into two groups, and while one group rides, the other observes. You can tell when someone gets the "press left to go left and press right to go right" technique by how smoothly they transition through the path of travel. If they are fighting it, it doesn't look very smooth. The easiest way to accomplish the exercise is to make two long presses, first to the right, then to the left. Count it out: "Press-one-thousand, Press-one-thousand"

It's a really fun exercise, one of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts