Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
In 1971 I stopped to get gas in Amarillo, TX, where I was stationed in 1966 and there was a new Camaro SS396- Kinda/ sorta my dream car because I spent time driving a friends with the 425 HP Power Pack in it and I was to say the least impressed! As I was pumping gas into my little economy car, I strolled over to the Camaro and noticed it had all of the Texas State Trooper markings and lights mounted everywhere on the thing and then--and then-- Out strolled two of the sharpest and well dressed, Texas Rangers, with the thousand dollar cowboy boots, $500 Stetson hats and pearl handled, chrome plated Revolvers and I was very Impressed! We talked for a few minutes and then they tipped their hats and said their "see ya alls" and did a slight burn out going out the driveway!

I love Texas. I should have stayed there:)

Sam
That's a cool story! A friend growing up had a '69 SS (Chevelle) with the solid-lifter 396. That's a whole lotta brute-force horsepower and a beautiful thing to listen to. I've never met a Texas Ranger but I've always heard they're basically a different species than any ordinary LEO's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beware in the Rural areas of Texas. There are some new Leo's in town

Oh, I thought you might have been referring to Waller county just west of Houston.
Only thing, it ain't the new Leo's you gotta beware of... It's the same corrupt good old boys that have been running the same con/s for years and years that I know of.
A couple of their con's even made the local news. Like the one where you WILL get ticketed for weaving if they see you talking on the phone while driving.
It is NOT illegal to talk on a phone in Waller county Texas while driving so you were weaving. (Not that what is right or lawful matters in Waller county, to the police, OR the courts).
It's kinda like our own little banana republic over there.
They pull in some serious money along the I-10 freeway.
They really hate motorcycle riders too so, beware.

Just Sayin
S F

River Road down by San Marcos and the Guadalupe River (Hwy 41 and 306) is one of the nicest rides in the state. Biker friendly, not very crowded and plenty to see.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I've never met a Texas Ranger but I've always heard they're basically a different species than any ordinary LEO's.
I've met several TSCRA Special Rangers and I can say they aren't
part of the good ole boy problem you hear about. You might think
they would be with their history but they are some of the nicest guys
you would every want to meet, unless you are on the wrong side of
the law that is.

Reactions: Porky

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
I've been there, but it was long, long ago and not on 2 wheels. That tears it! I'm taking some vacation time and spending a few days in the Hill Country this spring.
Make sure you ride the road between Vanderpool and Leakey when you do.
(Part of the three twisted sisters). (y)(y)(y)

S F

·
Registered
87 Posts
Make sure you ride the road between Vanderpool and Leakey when you do.
That's farther west than I was thinking, I'm more familiar with the San Marcos/ New Braunfels/ Canyon Lake area, but I could make a run out there. That stretch sure looks purty and wiggly on the map. Thanks for the recommendation.
I have the Butler map of the area, so I'm going to plan several days of the best rides and best stops I can fit in.

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
That's farther west than I was thinking, I'm more familiar with the San Marcos/ New Braunfels/ Canyon Lake area, but I could make a run out there. That stretch sure looks purty and wiggly on the map. Thanks for the recommendation.
I have the Butler map of the area, so I'm going to plan several days of the best rides and best stops I can fit in.
Look at it on Google Earth. You can even go to the street view and see the turns and hills and the turns in the hills. AWESOME roads in that area.
Some of the best parts of the Hill Country, if not the best....

S F

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
There ya go, letting the secret out.;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's okay, I only told one guy.
I won't tell anyone, I promise.
I did look at the map and the satellite view, it looks totally bodacious. I'll make that run a priority for sure. I don't see a good way to go from there, other than turn around and go back the same way, but I'll just have to bite the bullet.

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
I won't tell anyone, I promise.
I did look at the map and the satellite view, it looks totally bodacious. I'll make that run a priority for sure. I don't see a good way to go from there, other than turn around and go back the same way, but I'll just have to bite the bullet.
Look again.
You NEED to do the Twisted Sisters: TX 335, TX 336, TX 337.
See map here ^

While you're at it you might want to make your way over to the Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia.
Made more famous by the movie, Seven Days in Utopia with Robert Duvall.

S F
....... Dang, I think I just told again ...... and again ......

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Did you say something Semi? I don't think anyone was listening

Reactions: SemiFast

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Up north, Argyle and Keller are 2 more traps. Don’t ask how I know. :( :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
87 Posts
You NEED to do the Twisted Sisters: TX 335, TX 336, TX 337.
OK, OK. I'll do it. I don't really seek out the words 'most challenging' in a potential vacation destination, but it's intriguing. I'll have several days for other, more leisurely scenic riding too. Thanks for the tip on Lost Maples too, I love good road eats.

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
OK, OK. I'll do it. I don't really seek out the words 'most challenging' in a potential vacation destination, but it's intriguing. I'll have several days for other, more leisurely scenic riding too. Thanks for the tip on Lost Maples too, I love good road eats.
Maybe I should have said, You may want to..... Lol
Anyway, Happy Trails

S F

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's cool. I don't have to push myself. I can camp or get a room in the vicinity and just make a day out of those 100 miles. I'm just cruising, but I still like curvy roads. If those are the best curvy roads in the area, I'm in.

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
Garner State Park and Lost Maples State Natural Area are in the area for camping.
If you want to do some hiking along with a place to sleep, probably Lost Maples.
Garner has a nice clear water swimming hole.

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Hell now he's got you camping and hiking. Not to mention swimming. Maybe you better plan on a couple of more days for this trip :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts