Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when riding my TU250x, when going longer than 15 minutes, my neck gets a little sore/stiff. It's not terrible, but I'd like to eliminate it if possible. I also noticed that I'm slumped over a bit with my head slightly downward. If I sit more upright, my head starts to get some wind as I'm assuming it's above the windshield airflow pattern. Anyone have any tips for better posture to prevent the soreness/stiffness? Thanks for any help.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
What type helmet do you wear? I've found that wearing my 3/4 with the face shield lowered I don't notice the buffeting like I do when I wear my 1/2 with no face shield. That might allow you to sit up straighter. If nothing else, you might need a taller windshield. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
also if you are slumped down to hold the handlebars there are a couple of quick fixes...the one that worked for me (free) was to loosen the risers just a bit and rotate the handlebars up just a bit so you don't have to reach so far down to reach them....once I save a little more money I'm going to change the bars and risers out

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have two helmets a 3/4 Z1R, no shield, and a Gringo, which can go both ways and often does.

I like my windscreen as it's perfect height, just tall enough to see over without having to look through it.

I don't really feel I'm reaching for the bar is the reason I'm slightly slump, but now that I'm more conscious of it, I can try to do better and maybe try some different seating positions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
also if you are slumped down to hold the handlebars there are a couple of quick fixes...the one that worked for me (free) was to loosen the risers just a bit and rotate the handlebars up just a bit so you don't have to reach so far down to reach them....once I save a little more money I'm going to change the bars and risers out
Or get some "ape hangers". :biggrin:

·
6,496 Posts
When I see my image in a plate glass window as I go slowly through town, I've also noticed my "slumped down" riding posture. I had to consciously train myself to sit up straight so that my spine wasn't bent forward. It works and I feel better.

The seat to footpeg to handle bar triangle is very important for comfort and posture. Most of this can be changed and/ or adjusted to enhance the riders comfort.

Remember what your Mom and Dad used to tell you: "Stand up straight!" Try sitting up straight.

Sam:)

·
10,763 Posts
You may look into handlebar risers. They will move the bars up and back toward you, allowing you a more upright seating position. Most of the time you will not need to change the wires and hoses on the bars with just a 2" riser.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
THIS bike, is the first one on which I've had Foot PLATES rather than Pegs.

With the Pegs, I found that I was rolling forward (slumping forward), but the Foot Plates keep me more perpendicular to the bike for some reason.

-Soupy

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
I have found that the most comfortable positioning seems to differ among different riders. Due to back and shoulder injuries, I like to have a decent forward lean with my arms stretched out. This upper body position was reached for me by placing drag bars on my Shadow.

Other riders will find a more upright position better.

I suggest trying out various grip positions, until you find a combo that places them best for you, and then get your own bike to match, either with different risers, handlebars, or both. From there, get a windshield to best match your needs with the upright position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts