Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks in advance for helping me out! I’m a 20 year old new rider whose about to get his motorcycle license in Northern California. I’m still in school but living in the bay area until January (and will move back after school). I’ve always wanted to ride, but I used to play sports in college (just stopped). My parents aren’t completely for the idea but my dad rode a Harley for a few years so at least I have that for a bargaining chip. Anyway, I am looking to buy my first bike. I will probably only be riding two to three times a week, to the gym or the store. I am 6’5” and 220 pounds so finding a bike for my height has been hard. I think I would be good on a 250cc and my favorite types of bikes are standard, sport and dual. I wouldn’t use the freeway that much but I would like to feel comfortable if I had to ride on the freeway. Does anyone know of any used 250cc standard/sport/dual bikes for under $2000? It doesn’t have to be pretty or fast, it just has to be reliable, comfortable and good to learn on. I would also like to be able to carry a passenger if needed. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You will probably fit best on a dual sport. The 250 sport bikes or cruisers are likely going to be so cramped your knees will hit the handlebars at 6' 5".

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
6 feet 5 inches...
220 pounds...
Plus a passenger (100-130 pounds?)...

I am not sure you want a 250.

$2000 ain't that easy either, but consider the V-Star 650 and Shadow 750.
I have often seen surprisingly good deals on used quality bikes.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Honestly, other than a dual purpose, l don't think a 250 is big enough for you. I am 6'2" and 250, and l wasn't comfortable on any of the 250's they had at my BRC class. I bought a 650.

Maybe an older Shadow 500...it is a twin, so not too powerful.

I am just curious, why do you have your heart set on a 250? Just leery of getting too big of a bike?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Too realistic Hawk. A smaller bike will keep him/her out of trouble. It has plenty of power for a 3 times a week trip to the local store and will not cost a ton of money for fuel or insurance. I normally ride a 1731 cc touring bike but had a ball on the 250cc Rebel they loaned me when I took the BRC course. Yes I weigh well over 200 pounds but that bike was just plain fun.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maybe you should hit the showroom and sit on a bunch of bikes to see what fits, then look for a used version of it. My TU250x fits me great and is a standard, though I'm 5'11" and about 175 pounds. The Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and Suzuki S40 might be worth a look, though are more cruiser types.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Check out an older Yamaha XT350 dual purpose. That should be able to accomodate your height & size OK, and have just a bit more cc's for your future passenger-carrying needs.

Yamaha has made them for many many years, so you should be able to find an OK one for > $2000

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That's a good suggestion Nordicman.

Oldman47 - l guess l missed the part about him just riding occasionally. I thought about getting a Ninja 250 but l just knew it wouldn't be good for hauling my butt on the freeway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to suggest a Kawasaki KLR-650. It is a nice, simple bike with a high seat, so you'll have plenty of room. It's only rated at about 42 hp and 35 ft./lbs of torque, so I can't see any on here having any problems with that. The engine has a smooth, flat torque curve, and, at the same time, the gear ratios allow for plenty of acceleration and highway riding when you are ready.

You should be able to find a 2000 or so model in your price range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For around the same price, you may also be able to find a pre-2000 BMW F650 funduro. They are a nicer bike than the KLR. That would be my choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts