Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a recommendation for some motorcycle gear! In your opinion, what is the best gear for all weather riding? I'll start.

Helmet - Scorpion EXO-400
Gloves - Alpine stars Vega Drystar
Boots - Sidi
Jacket - Yoshimura leather
Pants - Jeans

·
6 year old biker
43 Posts
650 V Star--I know riding in Florida is HOT! Unless you have on shorts, t shirt, and flip flops(not recommended) I've invested in hot weather gear including Feildshear hi flow mesh jacket with armor- purchased a cold weather liner with it for those chilly January nights, also a nice vented AMX modular helmet, and mesh gloves. I've heard that denim blue jeans filled with flour, dragged behind a truck will wear thru in 3.5 seconds. I wear jeans and pray that I'm not sliding for that long. Over ankle hiking boots, wet weather gear is a good consideration too. Hope this helps, Ride safe, God bless.:cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Helmet - any full face or modular helmet that fits your head. Then let features and style and price be your guide. The one you've picked is fine.

Gloves - I am not fond of the carbon fiber inserts, having heard that they break into sharp fragments. I have gloves from Fox Creek, which are great. You need more protection in the palm than in the knuckle.

Boots - get something you like that fits and comes over the ankle. I have Red Wing boots which I like because they come in widths and they have a lug sole so they don't slip out from under me, important since I have an 800 pound bike

Jacket - The Yoshimura one looks fine. I have a Firstgear jacket that is very similar, for warm weather. I also have a Fox Creek jacket for cold weather.

Pants - Jeans are not gear. I have the Fox Creek overpants.

----

There's no such thing as all weather gear. I have hot weather gear, cold weather gear, and electrically heated gear, and I select based on the weather I expect on my ride. I have a Goldwing which has fairings and a windshield, which keeps enough of the rain off that water resistance is not a primary concern for me for gear. Depending on what you ride, your answer may be different.

I too skip the overpants when it's hot but I know it's a risk, and I didn't start doing it until I had been riding for some years.

Lots of choices in gear. I like leather gear but that's me. Aerostich and their imitators make textile gear which has its advantages. I'm not convinced that it offers enough abrasion protection. I have shoulder and elbow pads in one of my jackets but not in the other. Road rash and concussion have always been my main concerns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out aerostich. Their suits are the best that I've worn. Very well vented and very protective. It's a little expense but worth the money. I'm in no way affiliated by the aerostich company.

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
i'm not the safest rider, but here's my setup:

helmet - HJC cl12 white full face
gloves - none, but coming soon
shoes - rocky 16 inch snakeproof/waterproof boots
jacket - tecnik chicane leather, elbow/shoulder/back protectors
pants - levi's 569's. looking for some overpants or draggin jeans sooner or later

the jacket is awesome. 300 dollar value, i got it for 100 on clearance. very breathable. as for the boots, i wear those daily anyway at work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts