Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
WELCOME, and

Make a few more posts here and the rest of the site will open to you.
This is the spambot control at work. The sites attempt to insure you
are a real person and not a spambot. Other members like to know they
are welcoming a real person.:smile: And I believe you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures unless you use Tapatalk which
somehow gets around that restriction.#welcome

As far as helmet goes, the one that fits well without getting hot spots or getting uncomfortable. All helmets that are DOT rated will do the job of protecting your brain matter. Some have extra features and some are lighter and some cost more. Go to a shop that carries a lot of them and try every helmet there, in your approximate size. That will be different normally depending on brand.

I had one of the cheapest helmets you can get when I had a major crash that has so far required 10 surgeries. But that cheap helmet, in almost 2 pieces, did what most helmets are designed for. I was still knocked out for 45 minutes but at least my brain matter wasn't a puddle on the street. You simply cannot go by what others suggest is the bottom line. That might steer you away from a helmet you would wear every single time you get on the bike. Get what fits in your budget that fits well.

I currently have a Nolan N100-5. One of the heavier but was a modular with drop down sun-visor. I'm discovering I do get some ear discomfort after a couple hours but not enough that I can't go all day. But it's caused by the speakers that I also wanted in it. I'm trying to figure out how to get just a tad more room. I think I can but just haven't done it. That is just how little it bothers me.

Would be great if you could tell us a little about yourself too.

Reactions: RonK

· Aging & Worn
3,923 Posts
Inexpensive; DOT “approved” and “SNELL” rated (if possible).

Comfortable, and appropriate to the type of riding you are about to do.

· Registered
42 Posts
My best helmet is an Icon Alliance that another guy sweated in for at least five years. It was super comfortable right out of the box. The helmet liner stinks of the other guy's dirty hair, but that is also what makes the helmet so comfortable.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
Now that I've been riding my BBSHD converted fat bike for about a week now I realize that maybe my "regular" bike helmet might not be protective enough going 50+ km/h. I am wondering if any of you use motorcycle helmets or a more robust helmet (eg. a helmet for a powerful bike) and How Long Is A Motorcycle Helmet Good For reading from this site bikerwhizz? I would be interested to know what type of helmets you guys are using while riding your bikes. Any recommendations or suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Cheers!

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
DOT approval is a minimum for highway use. SNELL is a step up in protection and cost. Comfort while fitting snugly is crucial.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts

· Mod of the North
758 Posts
View attachment 74897 View attachment 74898

The bicycle helmet is priced at $299. The motorcycle helmet is priced at $49.99. Can anyone explain why the bicycle helmet costs 6 times as much?
You are paying for the open spaces & the engineering required to keep your melon in one peice with the bike helmet. The other one is actually a cereal bowl, I would not put that on my head & expect to live.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Wow! Just in time for my purposes. I was aware that DOT stickers were practically purposeless pencil promises, but have always considered SNELL to be the gold standard. I did, however, gain nearly all of my performance driving exposure on four wheels at a time ... though the inside pair were often very lightly weighted.

These two videos are very enlightening ... and at the right time for me as I was heading out very soon to upgrade my bargain DOT helmet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts