Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are times riding toward the sun when you'd give anything for a visor.

An opaque visor like in a car. Not sunglasses, a tinted shield or one more piece of plastic you have to look through.

Something to completely block direct sunlight.

Riding with one hand out in front of your face blocking the sun isn't all that safe...

How would you like an Honest-to-God visor. Adjustable, no less! For less than a nickle?

Turns out there's an incredibly easy way to do this.

Take blue painter's tape and put a 1" strip along the bottom of your visor.

When you're battling the sun you simply raise your visor to whatever level is necessary for the tape strip to block the sun.

I bought a used helmet that had tape on it; I didn't know what for. The first time I rode into a blinding sun I went "Aha! --- Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Go ahead. Admit it. It's pure genius.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Visor

I flip the visor up and slide in a pair of sun glasses. Pure genius.
I only use clear visors. Tinted visors are useless in the rain.

Unkle Crusty

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer not to add yet another layer of plexiglass / polycarbonate between my eyes and the road. Three provides plenty of distortion, esp if one or more is bug splattered.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I stick a strip of limo black plastic window tint on the inside of a clear shield, just wide enough that my line of sight is just below it.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
We bought helmets with internal, retractable visors, similar to what fighter pilots use. The unfortunate issue is that due the maker's safety concerns (read, fear of being sued...), it is woefully under-tinted. My wife wears sunglasses inside of her helmet, with the tinted visor down; I put my eyeglass clip-on sunglasses on, beneath my tinted, internal visor. Sunglasses, plus the internal, tinted visor, makes it bearable. Distortion is minimal, for us. YMMV. Cheers!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,908 Posts
Polarized Sun Glasses are well worth the money even if wear prescription lenses can get them ..

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stick a strip of limo black plastic window tint on the inside of a clear shield, just wide enough that my line of sight is just below it.

That's a good solution for those who feel tape looks too.....*******.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
If the sun is that low that I can't block it with a slight tip of my head, I find a place to pull over and have a coke or walk around until it isn't a problem. There is no where I have to be that urgently.

Same thing if the sun is directly behind me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a sundowner strip on the top of my faceshield. I don't like riding with it up after being smacked in the eye with a bug.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If the sun is that low that I can't block it with a slight tip of my head, I find a place to pull over and have a coke or walk around until it isn't a problem. There is no where I have to be that urgently.

Same thing if the sun is directly behind me.
^^^ :thumbsup:

And, I don't have a face shield anyway.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I've been using the blue painters tape trick for years. Even though all my helmets now have the flip down sunscreens. But I use just a single piece of 2 inch tape X 3 inches long towards the top of my shield. So all I need to do is tip my head to block getting my retinas burned out. Especially from all the jackwagon riders that insist on running with their brites on day and night "for their safety.":rolleyes:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'm not saying I dislike my carbon Star. Quite the contrary, it's great, but the visor is what has kept me from trying out a Shoei or an Arai.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just picked up a Bilt Apollo to gear up for the basic course tomorrow. For giggles I tried on a Shoei in CycleGear...

Oh
My
God!

There's a reason why they're $600!

Since you gotta replace a helmet every five years, it was hard to justify the expense as a returning rookie. Paid $75 for the Bilt marked down from $200, so figure that should work for a while. I also like the pilot style fit.

It has an internal visor for sun glare reduction though I've not used it yet. I made sure my sunglasses fit behind it all though as those are polarized and the flip down visor isn't.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts