Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been considering getting a crotch rocket. I'm no expert by any means but I do have a decent amount of knowledge. I have a 2,500$ budget.
I want somthing that is at least a little bit comfortable,
a somewhat-upright seating position, good power, and gets good mpg. I want somthing that won't cost a fortune for parts and maintenance. I could do basic routine maintenance myself. I have been looking at some ninjas, some hondas and suzukis.
If money wasn't an issue I would get a ducati. I like the style and seems to have a more upright seating position on some of them, and have good power.
But the only ones I can afford are ones that are 10 years old and I hear that the older ones are expensive to maintain.
So what is the best crotch rocket that I could get for under 2500$ USED,
is somewhat comfortable for short trips, has a more upright seating position, looks good, is fast, and gets good mpg?

I have ridden them before so it's not like I am a complete newbie to these, it's just that this will be the first I will have owned. I know how to handle power and how to use it responsibly

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'm guessing your price range would put you on a Katana, but you can pretty much forget about ZX6rs, GSXRs, R6s, or CBR RRs unless they are in bad shape. In decent shape those all still command $4-5k price tags for '03-07ish

Maybe a CBR 600 f3 or one of those cheaper middleweights.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
If you're lucky, you can find a gen I FZ1 for $2500. Not a exactly a "crotch rocket", but can hit 70mph in first gear, is quite comfortable, and gets over 40 mpg on regular gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're lucky, you can find a gen I FZ1 for $2500. Not a exactly a "crotch rocket", but can hit 70mph in first gear, is quite comfortable, and gets over 40 mpg on regular gas.
Yeah, that's actually kind of the style bike I am looking for. I just don't want somthing where you are almost laying down on the bike, i'd prefer to be sitting up or close to up.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Try http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see how you'll look on a bike.

I don't lay down on my ZX6R unless I am purposely tucked in behind the screen to go real fast. I actually feel more upright on it than I do on my SV650.

Coming from cruisers, clipons will probably all feel like you're stretched out over the tank.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"I want somthing that is at least a little bit comfortable,
a somewhat-upright seating position, good power, and gets good mpg. I want somthing that won't cost a fortune for parts and maintenance. I could do basic routine maintenance myself. I have been looking at some ninjas, some hondas and suzukis."

650R is my suggestion, especially if you've been riding cruisers / standards up until now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a ducati be out of the question if I don't want to spend a fortune on maintenance? Does it need special maintenance or can you do it yourself?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Ducati makes a number of different bikes. Some are super moto, some sport touring, some super sport. The super sports aren't what owners describe as "comfortable", as you stated you wanted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts