Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job that is about 55 miles from my house. Right now I drive the work truck to and from and they pay the gas...butinsurance rules are chaging and they might be moving us to driving our own vehicle to the office to get the truck each day.

I have had several bikes over the years, but I am still really not that knowledgable. In the past I was not very handy, but I am getting a lot better at mechanical things with my car. This is all just for background.

I am looking at getting a bike now, but it would have to be cheep...under 2k? under 3k for absolute certain. I have an 11 year old that likes to ride with me. I would need to take her to school in the mornings on way to work. Her school is 20 miles from the house. I do have an over VW Passat so that is backup for bad weather etc. I might need to get stuff on way home...but were talking about a couple minor things....milk and bread type stuff so nothing huge, but would need some bags. I am 215lb, daughter is tiny...under 100 lbs. Drive is 65-75 mph posted speed limit although in the truck I stay around 65

MPG and reliability are the biggest issues. Just looking for suggestions on which bikes would be comfortable enough for that much driving every day and best mpg etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My suggestion, is to set your "macho" aside and get a nice Suzuki Bergman scooter or something similar in the 600cc range. They are fun, quiet, economical, cheap to insure, RELIABLE, comfortable, and VERY maneuverable.

If you are beating your chest now at the thought of buying a scooter, well ... go get whichever bike gives you wood, and don't worry about enjoying private conversations with your daughter or singing along together with a song on the radio during your "quality time" together. Just roar up to the school and drop her off. I am sure your fire breathing road beast will attract a really nice boyfriend for her, but of course, she won't be able to tell you about it on the ride home.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I don't see why it has to be a scooter, OR, a chest pounding wood-fest... :/

There are a lot of options in that price range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha.
I am far from a chest pounding kinda guy. In fact, and hope this doesnt get me banned...I dont like really loud bikes...I am looking for ideas on Bikes. I dont think I can buy that scooter you are talking about for the price I want to spend.

As for talking to my daughter on the way home. Not an issue. Wife picks her up. :) I just drop her off in the morning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been in a similar situation before, except for the kids part. I recommend the kawasaki 650. I owned a 2012 before but older models are just as reliable and also cheaper. The seating position is upright which helps a lot with comfort during longer rides. The big fairings also help with wind.

·
Registered
518 Posts
For around $3,000 you might find a Suzuki Savage or S40. A thumper. They have a cult like following. Check their forums for the most common upgrades and repairs.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The best commuter I have had was a GL1200 Goldwing (1984).

Great element protection, lots of luggage space. I got 47 mpg solo.

I gave under 2K for it.

I sure miss it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well Mr Compton, I understand your situation. With the miles you need to drive, you will need something that is safe for you and your child, dependable, economical ( good mpg ), in good condition, and comfortable. You certainly don't want something that you're going to have to work on every day when you get home. Rather than looking for a particular bike, look around and consider something that looks like it will meet all of your needs regardless of manufacturer. There are plenty of sweet deals like this loaded Silver Wing for $1500. A lot of people that own these say they get 50 to 60 mpg. They also made this bike in a 650cc version. Or this bigger Goldwing for $2000 with all the amenities and two nice full face helmets.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You should be looking at any typical bike around 500cc with 2 or more cylinders. That will easily go at 65 MPH but will also give you good fuel mileage. Bags are easy with plenty of after-market ones that can be used on almost any bike. I love my 1731 cc bike but recognize that it is far from the most fuel efficient choice of bikes. If you go to 3 or 4 years old and used you should be able to pick up a bike in your price range.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
You could consider the Honda Shadow. I found 59 on Craigslist in Maine alone under $3000, and several were under the $2000 mark. I think the 750 would probably give the best compromise between comfort and economy, with the 1100 giving more comfort, and the 600 giving the best economy. ALL the Honda Shadow bikes seem to have one common denominator, and that is being very reliable bikes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My suggestion, is to set your "macho" aside and get a nice Suzuki Bergman scooter or something similar in the 600cc range. They are fun, quiet, economical, cheap to insure, RELIABLE, comfortable, and VERY maneuverable.

If you are beating your chest now at the thought of buying a scooter, well ... go get whichever bike gives you wood, and don't worry about enjoying private conversations with your daughter or singing along together with a song on the radio during your "quality time" together. Just roar up to the school and drop her off. I am sure your fire breathing road beast will attract a really nice boyfriend for her, but of course, she won't be able to tell you about it on the ride home.
Good luck finding a Bergman in that price range.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Love my V-Star 650 for my commute, costs me $10 in gas a week and it looks great. You can get them for 2k - 2.5k all over Kijiji and eBay.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Pretty much any 1-2 cylinder 600-650cc max would suit you well for the daily commuter role. If I had to do it all over again today I would seriously look at the CB500 line from Honda.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Honda CTX700 series are good commuter bikes that get fantastic mileage. There is an automatic transmission model, but I prefer manual. Suzuki SFV650 is another great commuter bike. I'm averaging over 53mpg so far on mine. Honda NC700X is another good one that gets great gas mileage.

Another factor in the above three is that they are all very reliable.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just been out on my bike with my wife on the back, lovely ride across the city and onto the motrway and across the Harbour Bridge. Thoroughly enjoyed it so I'd recommend a ....

Suzuki Boulevard M50 fitted with saddlebags and a sissy bar.

800 cc mid size cruiser with a nice low seat, and the pillion seat is not too high - you could fit a screen to reduce buffet on the pillion if needed. Enough grunt to do 125 km/hr (70 mph) on the freeway and enough torque to be able to dribble around town easily. And they're quite cheap, and look just that little bit different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts