Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious where you think is the best place for riding in full gear in terms of comfortable temperatures? For example, I'd imagine Toronto is just alright, because while our summers are not *too* crazy, we get up to 6 mths of snow, so that kills riding, nevermind the comfort issue. Is there such a place where you can go ATGATT and ride in comfort for most/all of the year?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I rode all Winter long, and was forced to not ride to work about 30 times between August and June due to rain. No snow this year.

I could also wear all my gear, while just changing to a mesh armored jacket, all Summer long. Seattle is beautiful ;)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
probably I come close by being in So. California. The weather is milder, and the conditions less extreme than most other places. BUT the price to pay - is heavy traffic and I think that's probably TOO HIGH. It's better to have a climate that's more of a problem, but roads that are more open. There's no perfect life - unless you live on two different locations ... summer and winter.

dT

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
There is NO : One Size Fits All.

If you want to ride Northern Europe or its equivalent in the USA, you need thick & warm gear.
To ride the 4 Corners & Death Valley, in July, you need light mesh gear.
To answer your question more fully, we would need to know where you live, where you intend to ride most, etc.
Take Care Out There

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
probably I come close by being in So. California. The weather is milder, and the conditions less extreme than most other places. BUT the price to pay - is heavy traffic and I think that's probably TOO HIGH. It's better to have a climate that's more of a problem, but roads that are more open. There's no perfect life - unless you live on two different locations ... summer and winter.

dT
Yeah, my traffic sucks. lt is every bit as bad as SoCal, from what l have seen of it

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here in Maryland summer gets really hot and humid, while I agree ATGATT is always best, I still ride in jeans and t-shirt along with over the ankle hiking boots(leather), gloves and a full face helmet. During the spring and fall I wear the padded jackets and such.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I rode ATGATT right through the year in tropical central Queensland, Australia. The seasons were twisted though, summer (December to February/March) was hot and humid - 35 deg C upwards ( 95 deg F) - and winter (June to August) was ideal riding weather - 25 deg C ( mid 70s F).

But in the hot, humid summer I'd wear a mesh armoured jacket and Draggin Jeans, my riding boots, light gloves with knuckle protectors and my helmet. In winter I'd wear a full cordura jacket with the lining taken out, the same Draggin jeans, boots and heavier gloves and my helmet.

If it was too hot or humid to ride ATGATT, say over 40 deg C (105 deg F) and 95% humidity then I wouldn't ride. Dehydration can be a problem in those sort of conditions and I just won't ride without ATGATT.

It's a lot easier riding ATGATT all through the year in New Zealand, in winter you'll want extra layers on underneath your jacket and wet weather gear in your saddlebags. In winter I also wear a "snood", a knitted throat warmer to keep the wind off the gap between my jacket and my helmet. Nice if your bike has heated grips too. Keeping warm is important, getting cold can slow your reactions down and lead to poor decision making.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Here in Manitoba there is no "all year" riding! The limits (for me) are 0C at the low end and +30C at the high end. (I have had heat stroke and can not tolerate high temperatures.)

At warm temps, I wear gloves, a mesh jacket, jeans, a helmet, and boots on the highway. In the city, at reduced speeds, the gloves come off and I may switch to sneakers.

As the temperatures cool off, I add chaps and put the liner in my jacket.

As it gets even colder, I switch to a snowmobile suit, insulated boots and gloves, and a snowmobile helmet. Even "all the gear" isn't enough when it gets cold 'cause most of it doesn't have enough insulation or block the wind enough.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
My ATGATT is my car. When it gets too cold or nasty to ride comfortably in jeans I don't ride. I really don't mind wearing one of my textile or mesh jackets, and I always wear some sort of helmet (usually 3/4 style) and at least light gloves, but mostly ride in jeans and t-shirts with shortie boots as well. Maybe its just me, but when I've tried riding with a full face closed helmet, motorcycle overpants over my jeans, knee high motorcycle boots, a heavy leather or textile jacket with a liner, plus heavy gloves, it just isn't much fun.

I live for days like yesterday where it was in the low 80's, with blue skies and little wind. Riding with an open face helmet, jeans, t-shirt and lightweight gloves was about as good as life gets. I guess I am willing to take more risk in return for more fun. I recall one day last summer being at a stop light, and being really hot despite being dressed very lightly (I even left my helmet home that day). Next to me pulls up a young guy on a sport bike, dressed in full racing leathers, heavy duty gloves and boots, and a full faced helmet. To each their own but I could not enjoy riding in that situation where I would have been melting under all of that protection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts