Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Its my husbands 40th in January and he is bike mad..
He has always had fast bikes until he has a crash a year ago, he has been wanting another bike but it does scare me. So I'm thinking as a surprise 40th give I want to get him a old classic. Something fun so he can get his fit but something he can't go crazy on. I've done a bit of research but it's still a minefield out there. What bike brand should I look at which is reliable and fun to ride and looks cool. I love retro but maybe being a women my cool is a guys Gordy.
I've looked at ....
Yamaha rd350 / sr600
Honda cb1100 / cbr250 / cb750 / cox
Triumph bonneville
Honda cbr250
Suzuki gt250/ gs500
Kawasaki w800 / w650 / Mach III

PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
Bikes are very personal. You would have a better chance than anyone here because we all have our "wish we had" bike. You will have to think back about the little hints he gave you. I'm honestly not sure I would attempt a surprise like that myself. You put him in a very awkward position and he will most certainly like what ever it would be just so as not to hurt your feelings. My personal choice would be a Triumph Bonneville. But everyone will have theirs as well. I hope your surprise doesn't back fire on you though. It's obvious your heart is in the right area. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to your fast reply. I've done quite a lot of fishing in regards to old classic bike from my husband. He loves the classic bikes not his first choice obviously, he would prefer a fast bike but he knows my thought on them after his crash so he said a classic would be more fun and would stop him going stupid on it as he doesn't have a stop switch re guards to speed on a modern day bike. I brought him the bike in which he crashed on and he loved it. He was gutted when he wrote it off.
I just want a bit of guidance on the classics, I pretty much know what he would love in regards to style just need a help with reliability and fun to have on a classic.
Many thanks again for replying

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I like the RD, but I don't think their all that dependable. But, being a 2 stroke they are somewhat easier to work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rd has come up with raving review for its time. This is my top choice but was wanting to see what bike lovers would recommend. Other then ebay and auto bike where else should I love to find a classic bike. I live in newquay but am willing to travel to get the right bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My 1st street bike was a RD 400, and I know those things were called pocket rockets for a reason :D despite being relatively small they were crazy powerful! It was a fun bike, but the 2-stroke smoke left such a huge vapor trail behind me, I didn't mind giving it up for a 4-stroke :wink:

One of the bigger Yamaha benchmark bikes of that era was the XJ750 Seca. A really nice bike for its time! Might want to add that 1 to your list :)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A smaller motorcycle might not be the solution for someone who tends to be reckless or unsafe on two wheels.

Bad accidents can happen at legal speeds if the rider doesn't have the proclivity to put safety first.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
how about Either a 650 Yamaha? or a "Classic" Kawasaki 4 stroke like the KZ series of 900's or 1000's?
Also a Honda 750 maybe?
Just some thoughts
Regards
Ed

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum I wouldn't dare recommend a particular bike for you to buy for your husband. I'm a firm believer a rider needs to find the bike that just feels right to them. Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
how about giving him a gift certificate good for the classic bike of his choice. You could specify must be 70s or 80s, engine size, price range, etc. That way he gets the bike he wants and you get to give it to him with some restrictions.

If it was me I would go a little farther back in time for one of these.

1929 Cleveland

·
Registered
34 Posts
how about giving him a gift certificate good for the classic bike of his choice. You could specify must be 70s or 80s, engine size, price range, etc. That way he gets the bike he wants and you get to give it to him with some restrictions.

If it was me I would go a little farther back in time for one of these.

1929 Cleveland
I second Old fart,

and why did you have to post that picture :eek:????? Now i know what i want for my next restoration project after i finish my current one, that thing is gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I own a newer sport bike, albeit not a rocket ship, but l also love the older sport bikes. It is hard to say what he would like, but l can tell you what l would like if l had a choice...

1983 VF750 Interceptor
1984 GPZ900 Ninja
1983 Suzuki GS1150
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
They were all pretty kick-ass in their time, but don't really stack up to the supersports of today. What's more, they don't have huge resale value, so you can get a really nice one for a few thousand dollars.

Something else you might try is, if he has old motorcycle magazines, dig through a few of them and see if you can find an article or two that were very well-read. I actually have bought old magazines on Ebay that l remembered having as a teenager, just to re-read the articles and see if the bike actually matched up to my memory of it in the mag.

And kudos to you for not being "that wife".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts