Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have what they consider the perfect setup for bike and car ? I guess the mothers polish ball comes in handy... Do need a good buffer for car, 7 inch... Fair price... Should have done this all years ago..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I have an Eastwood 1/2hp buffer and use a variety of 6-8" wheels. It can run for hours at a time and as long as you bolt the stand to the floor and don't let your wheels load up it hardly vibrates.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Porter-Cable oscillating variable speed buffer. PoorBoy cleaning, waxing, and sealing products.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
+1 on the Porter-Cable. But it's take your pick after that. Way too many fine products to focus on just one as far as I'm concerned. Quick and easy is another issue.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Another vote for the Porter-Cable; I have model 7424. Choice of buffing wheels and compounds depends on what your needs are.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
The ideal wax depends on the condition of the paint and clear coat. Personally I prefer Meguirs for an older, less perfect finish. It's slightly thicker and more abrasive than say FinishLine2000 which works well (and is virtually effortless) on brand new paint/clear coat.

Thicker and more abrasive also means more elbow grease is required.

I usually apply and buff out wax by hand but sometimes will get out the power buffer if I'm doing several cars. I'm really not sure it saves much effort as you have to follow up by hand, and holding the buzzing, shaking thing is itself a workout, and not a very pleasant one.

Orbital buffers sell for $10 or less at garage sales, etc. Right up there with exercise equipment that gets used once and...parked.

The thing is to purchase a dozen or more cotton buffing pads and to change them every 2 square foot or so of area. Otherwise you risk picking up a piece of grit and swirling your paint job. Ditto for buffing by hand, constantly turn your buffing rag or change to a fresh one.

Most alloy/aluminum wheels have a clearcoat that most owners let go to hell, and then the wheels look bad all the time. Again, a once a year wax from day one and they can stay fairly new looking for a decade.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Never use buffers because I hate swirls. Never use wax because it doesn't reject dirt.

I use dish soap and water, then Rejex twice a year, no swirls and dirt and bugs just wipe off.

If I have bad paint that needs that much work, I will just have it repainted with plenty of clear coat on top.

Wheels are a different story, they get Mother's every time the tires are changed and then a coat of two of Rejex.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The P-C buffer I have uses a 'random' orbital function, instead of the standard circular motion. I get no swirls when using it. I also use a sequence of cleaners, clay, and pre-polish and polish, to get a really wet shine.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Ah, I was thinking he was asking about a stand type buffer for polishing and re-conditioning metal. My bad.

I don't have a hand-held buffer. I've never used one on my truck and never needed one on a bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I was thinking he was asking about a stand type buffer for polishing and re-conditioning metal. My bad.

I don't have a hand-held buffer. I've never used one on my truck and never needed one on a bike.
I was, as you wrote... Bought an Orb. at the autoparts store for 29.95... Wasn't looking for a great one, yet, mostly for JEEP cleanup to sell... The Meguilars works great, compound, polish, wax, turned an old looking Grand Cherokee into a nice looking jeep, even their plastic restore works great ... Did buy my bike... Working on it now, getting it ready to ride. Does needs a lot of little things repaired, Tuneup,Oil change, etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts