Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I managed to drop the bike forward off the center stand. No big deal unless you are a total bonehead,right?

Wait for it.............................

The rear tire and wheel was removed at the time:coffeescreen: Somehow, the song LowRider keeps playing in my head.:confused: The bike did stay in a vertical position, at least.

So how about some of your swift moves in the shop? Of course you guys are probably smart enough not to post them............

·
Very Famous Person
9,694 Posts
--

Does this self revelation include dropping your 14mm socket into the unreachable space between the motor and back wheel? Then you can't get the battery box out to get to it? Then you have to go to the store and buy another one to finish the job?

--

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Bone head

Not sure if this is bonehead but definitely a failure.
The Dunstall Norton had twin floating discs on the front. They grabbed well at high speed but faded. I took the calipers apart and studied the O rings for a long time, spent even longer making a selection, installed them and the brakes worked great.
Off to the races, about 200 miles, rolled the bike down the ramp, applied the front brake at the bottom, bike kept rolling, and all the fluid puked on the ground. Said to Bruce, better push it back on the truck. Never again would I go to the track with only one bike, and I chucked the useless Dunstall brakes.
In hind site, the O rings probably did not like brake fluid, although I did a lot of research.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Um... ahh... Bonehead moves... ah... no, can't think of anything all that funny or serious. I did leave the keys in a customers bike once. It got stolen. Recovered it the next morning, no damage. I'm still real cautious about not letting that happen again!!!

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Got a center stand on a Harley. Ran the jack stand under it to do an oil change and got it right up as close as I could to the center stand. One pump on jack stand once it touched the frame moved the bike up enough for center stand feet to catch on jack stand lower rail. Not enough to completely stop. Just enough to catch and with the next pump bind a little but release. No big deal right? Not until I went to lower the bike. Pull center stand down, lower bike, now center stand stops squarely on top of that rail it got caught on before so can't get bike back on the ground. So back in the air it goes to pull side stand down and let the center stand stay up until back on ground. No biggy, just never should have happened.:thumbsdown:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Dropped a project bike off a ramp coming out of my barn a couple years ago.. wasn't happy about that one.

This Winter I hooked up a new electronic Volkswagen distributor backwards and let the magic smoke out. Total bonehead move there - just wasn't thinking.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Um... ahh... Bonehead moves... ah... no, can't think of anything all that funny or serious. I did leave the keys in a customers bike once. It got stolen. Recovered it the next morning, no damage. I'm still real cautious about not letting that happen again!!!
Oh c'mon Jack. Look me right in the monitor and with a completely straight face tell me you've NEVER been doing an oil change and forgotten to put in the drain plug before you started adding the new oil.

(It's amazing how fast that stuff runs out of there.)

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Oh c'mon Jack. Look me right in the monitor and with a completely straight face tell me you've NEVER been doing an oil change and forgotten to put in the drain plug before you started adding the new oil.

Psst.... Just 'tween you & I Eye, Yeah, I've done that one before. But like Slumlord said, I'm smart enough not to post about it!!! :p

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
--

Does this self revelation include dropping your 14mm socket into the unreachable space between the motor and back wheel? Then you can't get the battery box out to get to it? Then you have to go to the store and buy another one to finish the job?

--
No,but it did involve the loss of part # 52136-mei-670. No Longer Available. It is the little stopper that the chain tension adjuster tightens against.....

So I made one with out of a rear Chevy brake rotor as the source of the correct thickness steel and by using the survivor as a pattern. It actually fits very nicely. About a half hour's work with just a drill and mini-grinder

Probably find the lost one once the chain is on.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Bonehead

I was checking the timing on my 650 BSA. Bits stuck anywhere, or Bloody sore arse. Finding TDC was not happening as planned, so I decided to stick a long needle ( I have long needles for upholstery ) down the plug hole and gently bring the piston up with the kick starter. the piston came up much faster than planned, the needle shot out and poked me just above my right eye.
It was about that time I decided to think more about the consequences of any action I take.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
--

--

Telescopic magnet comes to mind... Please Ron, tell me you didn't leave that socket there!!!:confused:

·
Very Famous Person
9,694 Posts
Telescopic magnet comes to mind... Please Ron, tell me you didn't leave that socket there!!!:confused:
--

It has company with various bolts, nuts, washers and a spare key box over the last 7 years. :biggrin:

I was down here in Arizona where I don't have all my tools. I hate to have two of everything (tool) I own, don't 'cha know. That bike will be up in Colorado this summer for a bunch of work and I'll fish it out then. That unloading should lighten up my bike considerably.:p

--

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts

I think that's a common one. It's best to call it an oil flush.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Yep. Used to do that with kerosene all the time. Kerosene not as plentiful so that's the next best thing. Right?:D

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had a Yamaha gas tank on top of my Honda (the Honda tank was soaking in vinegar) supplying gas while I tried to get the thing running. The Honda had no air box on it so I could work back there, making adjustments. What I didn't notice was the split gas line.

The line was directly behind the number 1 carb. While cranking the engine over, it backfired thru the carb.

That's when I found out my shop fire extinguishers were not charged. I threw the gas tank out of the shop and put out the fire on the bike. Once that was done, I turned and noticed that the dead grass in front of the shop was on fire. I ran out and stomped on it the best I could, putting out the fire there.

However, stomping on a gas fire will spread the flames as I found out when the side of my wooden garage caught fire.

Damage? New wires, choke and throttle cables for the Honda, a very black Yamaha gas tank, a scorched garage, and my 'know it all' pride.

Does anybody get a prize for all these embarrassing stories?

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I'd call that fire domino effect. Hard to top and good job you didn't come off worse.

One of my spectacular numnutz moments involved a change of rear shocks on a small motorcycle. First I popped the left one off, undid the top and bottom of the right side, leaned the bike up on the side stand and whipped off the right one. My intent was to slap on the new right one, lower the bike back to the ground and put on the left one. Yeah, maybe not as smart as just doing them one at a time, but I'm pig headed that way. Oh, ordinarily it isn't a big deal on a smallish motorcycle.

Unless it is a Honda TLR200 where the dang side stand is mounted to the swing arm. As fate would have it my right hand ended up trapped between the tire and the fender and I was sprawled across the seat, head on the ground on the right side of the bike, feet on the left.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Does anybody get a prize for these embarrassing stories?"

I don't know,but you have my vote so far..... I think that it is time for a shop fire extinguisher!

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
I'm just going ouch ouch ouch. Funny how you can laugh at others. Sorry but I'm laughing at that cause it sounds like something I'd do in so far as getting myself hurt doing something.

·
Registered
533 Posts
In the shop you say;

Working on the brakes of my F150, drivers side caliber was stuck in after I had forced it open with a C-clamp to get the old pads out.

Shot a little air to it, without putting a pad or anything to stop forward progress...

Lucky it didn't take my head off when it blew!

Funny thing the problem turned out to be the line feeding the caliber, but it cost me a caliber to find that out...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts