Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a learner rider looking for a new bike to start on. Anything 250cc or under.
I was thinking about a Hyosung GV250 but I have now heard a lot of bad things about them.
Does anyone have any recommendations???

·
Registered
978 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!

I believe that anything made in China is a roll of the dice and likely to end with you frustrated. Are they cheap? Yes, but also cheaply made.

Recommendations are based on the type of riding you plan on doing. No point in recommending a sport bike or cruiser if you are interested in doing some off road work...

·
Registered
8 Posts
DON'T buy a Chinese bike. I have had two, and both were a waste of time and money. What's worse is that I think the cheap made nature of them ended up in me getting injured. I got rid of it and bought a name brand bike. Bottom line is that they might look the part, but they are made with very cheap and soft metal. There is a HUGE difference between the metal used in bikes from Japan and the china metal. Save yourself the aggravation, don't make the mistake of buying a china bike.

Buy a Honda Shadow. Great beginner bike.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you’re dead set on a 250 I’d say either a rebel or a ninja 250 are going to be better bets. They can had cheaply and parts are going to be more readily available if something goes wrong. Many people have started on a rebel and sold it later for the price they bought it for.

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
I agree with the idea of a Honda Rebel.
It might cost a bit more in the beginning, but you'll get it back later
when you sell it because they hold their value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you’re dead set on a 250 I’d say either a rebel or a ninja 250 are going to be better bets. They can had cheaply and parts are going to be more readily available if something goes wrong. Many people have started on a rebel and sold it later for the price they bought it for.
+1 on a 250 Ninja.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Ninja 250. Great fun little bike. A 250cc bike will be fine to start on -- that's what I started on, and I'm bigger than you. People say you'll get tired of a small bike, but my experience is that, regardless of the bike, most people will want to swap out their first few bikes relatively quickly anyway. Maybe they want a more powerful bike. Maybe they decide they're more comfortable on a cruiser, or a dual-sport, or whatever. Learn the ropes on a small bike that won't kill you, then upgrade. I don't know where you live, but I never bothered to ride on the interstate anyway, and to this day I prefer back roads to interstate despite having a bike more than capable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, it has to be the Wr250 r hasn't it? It will get you up and down the road, it will take you anywhere and it is good enough to teach you a lot of skills. Wr250R anyone? Or the crf250L...Indestructible but not as fun... Why aren't they on the list? Am I missing something? Probably!
Unknown-2.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts