Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start riding again. I'm 40 years older than when I had my last bike and have lumbar cervical degenerative disc disease (spondylosis).

I could use good low back support without having to reach to far forward for the handlebars.

Ideally a good shock absorbing suspension with a minimum of vibration would be possible.

My old bike was a CB350 but I expect to need something in a much bigger package to accomplish my ends.

Comments on any of the above are welcome!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well, you asked;
The motorcycle with THE least vibration and most comfortable suspension ever is a BMW 500 or 600 made from 1955 to 1968. The R50 is considered slow, but it also will be the least expensive. An R60 can cruise the freeways all day at 65-70mph no problem.

A good kidney belt is a God-send, too, btw.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Not certain which bike would be best for you, where as you have the arthritis issue, but I 2nd the kidney belt. They do seem to help those with back issues a LOT

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I want to start riding again. I'm 40 years older than when I had my last bike and have lumbar cervical degenerative disc disease (spondylosis).

I could use good low back support without having to reach to far forward for the handlebars.

Ideally a good shock absorbing suspension with a minimum of vibration would be possible.
You want a Mercedes or Lexus.

Believe me, I am also 40 years older than the first time I was on two wheels and a motor. I also have a very bad back and arthritis in most of my body. Any bike will be rough on your back. maybe one of the smooth cruisers like the BMW bikes would be better. Any rice rocket is going to have a very bad seated position and tremendous hand grip buzz.

BTW: for me even working the clutch lever is tough because of arthritis. But the back thing is killer. A couple of months back it was so bad I had to quit riding for a while.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If heat helps your arthritis, you might think of installing heated grips on your bike. A lot of folks swear by them in cold weather.

·
Registered
912 Posts
learning I'm going to have to start wearing a back brace when I ride. 4 bad disc in the lower back is RUFF on long rides. Course the way I sit on my bike don't help "slouched"....my chiropractor will give me the 3rd degree when he hears I'm riding again, and I don't dare tell my Dr..... and the handle bar buzz is aggravating, lol when I ride for an hour or so the hairs on my arm stand up and tingle, weird almost crawls like I've used some type of medication that was used back in the 70's to stay awake....

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,359 Posts
I'd go for a Goldwing or a new BMW K1600 GTL. Great seating position and they feel light. The HD Ultra is a really comfortable bike and smooth as glass when moving but they shake at idle. HD also makes whats called the "Hammock" seat; which suspends you rather than cushion you with tons of foam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions

I'll watch both BMW and Goldwings. I appreciate the feedback. I wouldn't have considered either of these as I was thinking smaller, but what ever has the smoothest ride with the least vibration will get my vote.

·
3...2...1... V Boost
400 Posts
What about a Can-Am Spyder, never ridden one but I've heard they are pretty easy on the body for even long rides. Not a traditional bike true, but it is unique and I'm sure a blast to ride.

I have arthritis and tendonitis in my right shoulder from breaking it twice on mountain bikes and I feel the pain after a long ride.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I'd go for a Goldwing or a new BMW K1600 GTL. Great seating position and they feel light. The HD Ultra is a really comfortable bike and smooth as glass when moving but they shake at idle. HD also makes whats called the "Hammock" seat; which suspends you rather than cushion you with tons of foam.
+1 :thumbsup:
I was thinking the same.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,359 Posts
What about a Can-Am Spyder, never ridden one but I've heard they are pretty easy on the body for even long rides. Not a traditional bike true, but it is unique and I'm sure a blast to ride.

I have arthritis and tendonitis in my right shoulder from breaking it twice on mountain bikes and I feel the pain after a long ride.
I had the opportunity to test ride one a couple years ago. Really a rough ride and not comfortable at all. I found myself leaning far forward and it takes a lot of effort to turn them. They do have a larger "touring" model that may rectify some of the issues like the riding position. I also found that there isn't much similarity to riding a motorcycle; so if the act of riding is what makes you happy this wont do it. If you couldn't tell already, I really didn't like it much at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts