Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm Space and I'm looking for a great intermediate/beginner sport bike. I want something affordable, something capable of going on the freeway for < an hour without my ankles, wrists and organs being vibrated to mush. I've grown up riding dirt bikes before, driven a few midrange cruisers and the only time I've put a bike down is when I'm on the dirt, I've been driving/ had my class C lisence for 2 years now, I've had my Class M permit for a while and I'm finishing my motorcycle safety course soon. I've decided I want to get myself a sport bike. It doesn't have to be new or fancy as long as it works, is (relatively) comfortable and preferably under 700ccs and it's gotta be Honda.
I'm 21, about 5'10 and 171 lbs.

Thanks all!
Space.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,506 Posts
Sportbike no vibration under 700cc sounds like the 600cc types you want then. I like the 80 bikes any runner if you can work on it should do.

·
Registered
2003 Buell XB9S, 1989 Yamaha Radian YX600
62 Posts
Nighthawks 650's and VFR 500's are good dependable bikes of old.

CBR600RR's can be found in every city, of every state, and at any price. Not beginner friendly, and not very comfortable, but easy to find, cheap to buy, and very quick.

CBR500's and CBR650's are both newer bikes that are available on the used market for 3-5k. Would lean towards the 650 since the 500 isn't much more than a beginner/commuter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far, someone else recommend an 06-09 vfr 800 to me. Is this reasonable? 800 seems like a lot of power especially on a a sport bike. I understand that no bike is going to be perfect especially for my skill level or my budget. Comfort on a sportbike I understand is relative, vibration is part of the business too. My only consideration is a bike that isn't particularly uncomfortable or a bike that vibrates too harshly at highway speeds. Thanks again for all the help so far guys n gals!

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,506 Posts
Any bike can be good, but also can be bad, if you have no self control on how you twist that throttle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'd suggest taking a hard look at a CBR F4i! Am I biased? Yep! Been riding mine for about 2 months and it is much more comfortable than my "beginner" Ninja 300 that I rode for a year. Seat is nicely padded and the bars are about an inch or so higher than a typical sport bike, with more than enough grunt for street riding. I can ride sitting fairly straight up or leaned over the tank. The only part that gets uncomfortable after an hour or so is my knees but I just hit 50 so I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know Im a little late to the party. This question needs a lot more detail. How much do you want to spend? Do you like the older look or newer? The older ones were a lot "fatter" looking. Newer looks more aero/"alienish". Just be warned that a cbr 600 will rip your arms off. Its a supersport race bike. As long as you're disciplined and know what you're getting into, you should be ok.
Im exactly same height as you and about 10 pounds heavier. I have a 13 cbr 1000 (inline 4) and an 05 vtx 1300 (twin). The inline 4 is smooth as glass (no vibration) even at high speeds over 100. The twin is also smooth (in my opinion). But, more definitely more vibration than the cbr. Depends how youre riding it. Its definitely not a harley that will shake your arms off at a stop light though :).
Just because the vfr is an 800 doesnt mean its too powerful. Don't look at the cc's. Look at the category of bike. The cbr 600 will blow it away. You really need to research a little. Many people think a cbr 1000 is only good for the track and racing. I find it fun to ride even at lower speeds. I do ride aggressively though. If you don't I dont see a reason to have a cbr style bike. Thats just my opinion. You might want to go to a sport touring which still has a lot of power but more comfortable. Its up to you. BTW, the sport touring tires will last many more miles. I only get about 3k tops out of my tires for my cbr! But, you are glued to the road at extreme angles

Hi all! I'm Space and I'm looking for a great intermediate/beginner sport bike. I want something affordable, something capable of going on the freeway for < an hour without my ankles, wrists and organs being vibrated to mush. I've grown up riding dirt bikes before, driven a few midrange cruisers and the only time I've put a bike down is when I'm on the dirt, I've been driving/ had my class C lisence for 2 years now, I've had my Class M permit for a while and I'm finishing my motorcycle safety course soon. I've decided I want to get myself a sport bike. It doesn't have to be new or fancy as long as it works, is (relatively) comfortable and preferably under 700ccs and it's gotta be Honda.
I'm 21, about 5'10 and 171 lbs.

Thanks all!
Space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts