Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, pulled the trigger... passed the class this past week here in Florida... Love the Bike, needs new Battery along with other minor repairs for now... Turning over a 121 Total Performance motor isn't easy on a Battery. I don't want to be hard on this starter either. As mentioned on here, I have a custom bike and all parts will be researched, cant just pull up a cross ref. sheet for this bike. Contacted Mfg. and looking for the info, or the best info I can get.....

The Extreme Magna Power Battery in it has NO info on it. Tags are gone. i have measurements, that is it and have an extra inch in length I can use... Already, here I am floating on "WHAT TO DO" 200CCA, 325 ? 400 CCA ? Any thoughts would be awesome... Is it possible to have to big a battery on a bike ?
Best Mfg and type ?... Dont think I want lithium and reading bad things on the EXTREME magna's...
Who sells the Best, most popular battery that last and is really reliable, regardless of price ? Price really shouldn't be a factor in this situation as your lively hood, a lost day, a tow from 200 miles away can depend on it...

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
You can't go wrong with Deka but not sure about size.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
If you're thinking about AGM types, the Odyssey and MotoBatt batteries have a good rep. I have the latter in my VS800, and many use the Odyssey brand in their 800 and 1400 Intruders. It seems the AGM batteries have a bit higher cranking ability, and hold up well, even without a tender over the winter; bonus: no water maintenance.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
BTW, 300cca is generally good for most bikes. If your bike doesn't have a lot of extra electrical draws and is basically "stock like" a 300cca battery is probably adequate. Personally I like going a little higher just to have some reserves but that also generally comes with more dollars attached. Your physical dimensions for size maybe your deciding factor to begin with though. It is on my present bike anyway. I'd like a 400cca but there are none in the correct size. There are some battery sites where you can search by physical size, brand of bike or CCA too you might want to scan. This is one I just randomly selected. I've never used it but is an example of what's available with a simple search.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
good question.
Lots of good answers though.

I have seen lots of new fangled, gel, dry charge, and packs that fit inside a box. I have seen a couple of the capacitor systems too. considering a new type of battery can be a real chore...you need to look up the CCA your machine draws, and consider any accesories that your system is going to use. Your manual will tell you the exact specifications that you need, and that your bike uses.
HINT: to many amps will burn up your stock wiring, and not enough will fry all your motors... so use the exact match, unlesss you customized everything....in that case you need to do the math.
buy that green one... reminds me of slime and goop.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I use Motobatt because they work and have two sets of terminals for hooking up accessories and the tender leads. Have never had a failure, but I change batteries every three years whether they need it or not.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
HINT: to many amps will burn up your stock wiring
Sort of true, but a battery can't provide more Amps than are asked of it, it can't force more just because it has a higher Amp rating. If you strapped a truck battery to your bike, as long as it is 12V, it would work just fine.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sort of true, but a battery can't provide more Amps than are asked of it, it can't force more just because it has a higher Amp rating. If you strapped a truck battery to your bike, as long as it is 12V, it would work just fine.
Good call. I often use a car battery in the shop to work on bikes on the lift. That being said, if I have any wiring issue or just testing things like lighting circuits out, placing a small amp fuse [5 to 20 and start out small if in doubt] in the jump wire can save you from the magic smoke...

There are a bunch of questions here that eventually trace back to weak batteries. That little battery with a short warranty will not last forever especially if it is allowed to discharge.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
^^ Good technique, if you don't trust the wiring, or are chasing a wiring issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
BTW, 300cca is generally good for most bikes. If your bike doesn't have a lot of extra electrical draws and is basically "stock like" a 300cca battery is probably adequate. Personally I like going a little higher just to have some reserves but that also generally comes with more dollars attached. Your physical dimensions for size maybe your deciding factor to begin with though. It is on my present bike anyway. I'd like a 400cca but there are none in the correct size. There are some battery sites where you can search by physical size, brand of bike or CCA too you might want to scan. <Link cut out because I don't have enough posts, yet> I've never used it but is an example of what's available with a simple search.
Wow! Most of the batteries I've seen for MY bike have LESS than 200cca, and those are the expensive ones! I have found a few that have 220cca, but those are few and far between, so finding one with 300-400cca seems virtually impossible! Then again, the 'sizes' that will 'fit' my bike are pretty small, dimension-wise. Maybe that's why.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Yes, 300CCA seems high, to me, too. The CCA of the stock battery for my CB450 is ~125, while the TruGel AGM in it is rated 140; the stock battery for my VS800 is 230, and the MotoBatt AGM in it is 250. I haven't looked up the one in my Valk, though, which is possibly higher.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The Deka (Harley) battery for a Dyna (Super Glide) is 300 and the one for the Softail is 325.

(I just happened to be testing some electrical issues today and you have to find the amps to be able to read the load tester. I don't actually KNOW what each model uses on a daily basis where I can spout it off at the drop of a hat. :biggrin:)

And out of curiosity I just went out in the garage and looked, and the one for the the Road King is 400.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I guess HD uses the same batteries as are in small cars. I looked it up, and the battery for my Valk is 200CCA stock, with an optional high-output one at 220.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
You know what they say. Go big or go home. :D You'll be limited by the actual opening the battery fits into. Harley was wise and made a rather huge opening. Their battery weighs 22 pound and is the size of a small care battery. It's massive by motorcycle standards.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Low blow.:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts