Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been benched, not caught doing anything.
More like doctors orders, Not allowed to drive, for at least a month. Planes, trains, automobiles or heavy equipment.
unfortunately this includes bikes. This will get lifted, sooner or later.
I am back up, out and about on my feet. Kind of frustrated by the whole thing.
Just thinking some other old farts on here might have experienced this before.

Getting back in the saddle after heart surgery, one of my concerns, I can’t lift anything,
Not because I don’t have the strength, just cause I’m all held together with duck tape and string.
One of the reasons I haven’t gone down, is nothing to do with my amazing skill’s, more I have been strong enough to mussel it to stay up. Recovering from my errors.
Dropping my bike in public and needing help would be down right embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
BTDT brother...............do the walking and such to get the blood flowing back in legs where they took out veins, crucial. I drove a car in 29 days and not released yet because a tornado struck less than a mile from house and I had to see the damage.

I strained the cut they put back together in sternum by doing 200 ft.lbs. on FWD axle nuts around 31 days, stupid but I worked up to it and did it. At the end of the month I was hurting again and they went back in to add another stent to the bypasses and then OK, all in '07.

There IS life after a heart attack.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,895 Posts
Follow the exercise regiment religiously, in fact do the PT and then do it again. Here the cardio unit rehab center allows you to continue after the recommended course for like 15-30 bucks a month.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I am up and about dog insisting I need fresh air and taking me for a walk. Funny I feel a bit stronger than I did before. In some regards. every day I can do a bit more. Not used to being limited. Want to get back at it.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
717 Posts
So, here we are later, how are you doing ? .

Keeping active is the key here, not killing yourself .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
I am doing pretty good, Doctors haven’t approved me going back to work yet. Otherwise life is good and I’m quite active. The winter was pretty cold wet and a lot of snow, I let my insurance expire, I wasn’t riding. I renewed at the beginning of April and am back on the bike and out on the road regularly now. A friend persuaded me to go skiing again. So I went up to Whistler and spent a day skiing Blackcome My wife was quite annoyed about that. The side benefit she was pretty quite about me taking the bike out for a ride up the Sea to Sky to Whistler.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
When the weather was co-operative, I started riding my wife's bike before my doctor or my wife approved. I was careful as could be for that first six weeks while the breastbone was knitting back together, but after that I started doing more and more of what I wanted to do and what I felt I could do.

And, oh yeah, I did drop my Geezer Glide in public and had to get a younger guy to help me get it back up. Embarrassing, but I survived it. Heck! After broken fingers, back, toes, covid, heart attack and a heart operation a little embarrassment is easy to get over.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
717 Posts
The trick with physical therapy is to be diligent, not overdo it .

Then remember to remain mobile ~ don't always park as close to the door as possible, take the stairs etc. .

Reactions: Jmacd62
1 - 11 of 11 Posts