Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a preference to what final drive they prefer? I currently ride belt drive but have ridden chain and shaft. I would prefer belt for various reasons. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I prefer the belt or shaft drive, but if I found a bike I really liked, and it had a chain, it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
Isn’t there a thread already that hashed this out? Seems like I remember stating that due to the gravel roads I have to ride that I prefer shaft but my bike of choice doesn’t have shaft and that didn’t stop me one bit.

With the horsepower bikes have today it makes little difference that shaft robs some. Even though gravel can certainly ruin my day, I still risk it to find out where these roads go that few bikers try. And I see some amazing views. But shaft would make it less stressful.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a belt drive bike. Adjusted it once & never touched it again. The efficiency of chain drive with (almost) the low maintenance of shaft drive. Only problem is you're stuck with the gearing. You can't buy bigger or smaller pulleys. My old Suzuki S40 sounded like it was going to explode over 70 mph so I put a larger diameter rear tire on it.

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once again I get stepped on, this time for bringing up a thread that some say - maybe - not sure - could have been - on this forum at some time in the past.

Too bad, no one said you had to stop and make sure we all knew there was a possibility we may have talked about this before. Sort of like half the lame subjects I see on here.

Thanks for the reply Juan_Banjovy, glad you had good luck with your belt. Changing gearing with belt drive does not always require a change in belt. Like many things, it all depends how big the change.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Once again I get stepped on, this time for bringing up a thread that some say - maybe - not sure - could have been - on this forum at some time in the past.

Too bad, no one said you had to stop and make sure we all knew there was a possibility we may have talked about this before. Sort of like half the lame subjects I see on here.

Thanks for the reply Juan_Banjovy, glad you had good luck with your belt. Changing gearing with belt drive does not always require a change in belt. Like many things, it all depends how big the change.
TR - I'm not going to kick you while you are down. Did a quick search and came up with about 6 or so threads on the subject, but I think this is the one people are talking about.

belt, chain, or shaft

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
Nah!! I'm not down John, just playing the game. Same one Larry plays...
Got to do something to keep from blowing sky high.

BTW everyone, notice that the admins did
get gifs functioning as they are supposed to
function. So they are trying. It would have
been better if we were not the ones being
used to test their software for them. Things
like this should have been caught and fixed
way before shove it down our throats. But it
is fixed now.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I love my shaft drives and my CVTs, though I don't have any specific preference. So long as the bike keeps rolling it really doesn't matter to me how it achieves that. :D

Though I do love the simplicity of a CVT. It may not be the most engaging type of transmission, but it's an excellent gateway drug to moto modification. You can change springs, weights, clutches, and other bits and pieces for cheap and with simple tools!

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
Shaft drive, hands down.
I've owned 7 of 'em over the years.
They are about as trouble free as it gets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts