Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
WOW that's incredible if U.S. drops its boycott on Cuba!

American tourism will flood that island. Cubans can actually get modern access to stuff like the internet, lol. Trade sanctions will be lifted too?

..sadly though it probably means all those cute vintage Cuban cars/taxis will be replaced with modern Corollas :(

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
There goes the neibourhood.

There are lots of bikes in Cuba. Most quite old. Many Jawas.
Canadians are well liked in Cuba. US visitors will not fair so well IMO.
But things have a way of changing. If the US visitors accept Cuba for the way it is, they will get along. If they want to be opinionated, and change things, they will not.
Would not be the first place where a US citizen, has a Canadian flag on their back pack.
Bon chance with that.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... US visitors will not fair so well IMO...
This would not have been my guess, based on my travels in Cuba (and not only in Cuba). He who arrives as a guest and behaves as a guest is treated as a guest. Guests generally wave no flags, and ignore big buildings flying one. Ordinary folks and landscape away from flags is much more interesting; in Cuba (and not only in Cuba).

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
OK... someone is gonna say it eventually... might as well be me. Is anyone else taken aback by this "unseen sudden action"?? When did We The People vote for this? When was it ever mentioned that this was even in the works??!! The President "suddenly" decided to open borders with Cuba??? Am I seriously the only one that sees what is REALLY going on here? As if we don't have a serious problem keeping people out from South of the Border, but NOW we're gonna let the Cubans migrate here illegally??!! Oh, and guess who or what they vote for when they're given the right to vote... Yup... You got it. SMH.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
WOW that's incredible if U.S. drops its boycott on Cuba!

American tourism will flood that island. Cubans can actually get modern access to stuff like the internet, lol. Trade sanctions will be lifted too?

..sadly though it probably means all those cute vintage Cuban cars/taxis will be replaced with modern Corollas :(
There is nothing in the agreement that says the Cuban people are going to get any more modern, non-government controlled access, goods, services, or freedoms then they already have. Somebody down there will benefit but I don't think it will be the average Joe on the street. Just because we change our policy doesn't mean that the Cuban government has any plans to change.

Yeah, I think Jack has it right.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
There is nothing in the agreement that says the Cuban people are going to get any more modern, non-government controlled access, goods, services, or freedoms then they already have. Somebody down there will benefit but I don't think it will be the average Joe on the street. Just because we change our policy doesn't mean that the Cuban government has any plans to change.

Yeah, I think Jack has it right.
I was thinking along the same lines. Good way to prop up a dictatorship that oppresses its people.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Might be different if the end goal was to get control of all those islands out there but I think that is not even on the table. There's just one reason this is being done and it isn't at all what I'd want.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I agree with the last 4 posts. Also why would I care to travel to a country where I have to hide where I'm from to feel safe?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rum, cigars and other pleasures?

... why would I care to travel to a country where I have to hide where I'm from to feel safe?
Back to motorcycles, which, BTW, was my first thought when I have seen that news item:

Why? Empty roads, climate made for riding year round, rum, cigars and various other pleasures usually associated with motorcycle riding?

(And I assure you no hiding will be required).

US citizens on two wheels will finally be able to take their machines on a trip across a border to a country where they will feel safe (unlike Mexico) and one that will not be excruciatingly boring (unlike Canada ;).

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
As a Canadian who often goes to Cuba, this kind of sucks. Apparently this will cause the average price of a vacation in Cuba by 30% or more because the demand will increase so dramatically. Booooooooo!

But in all seriousness, the Cuban folks are a very friendly, open people and I enjoy the country very much and have always felt welcomed and secure. It's very sad to see how poor the local populace is though and I hope this helps their infrastructure. I go every year, sometimes twice a year and I always bring an extra suitcase full of large ziplock bags containing simple goods like toothpaste, toothbrushes, kleenex packs, crayons and goodies fort he kids, pens, pencils, little notepads, socks, candy etc etc all stuff from the dollar store. My daughter and I shop and make the bags. We also throw in gently used infant or youth clothing from friends and family, and my daughter always sets aside stuff she's outgrown. When we go, we visit the villages and shops and give out the bags to people we meet or kids we see. We also give them out at the resort to the employees.

Couple of years ago on a trip to Cuba I would fish almost every morning with a guy that would pilot one of those free catamaran rides at the resort. He would come on his time off to take me fishing for $20 an hour instead of having to pay $600 for a charter boat. And we caught a TON of fish, it was amazing. He had two daughters a bit younger than my daughter and she gave him like 6 pairs of her old shoes that were still in near new condition that she brought to give away. He was in tears... the next day he brought us a thank you drawing one of his daughter's made for us and some gorgeous seashells he had found for her.

I have so many wonderful stories about Cuba, it's a gorgeous country so while it sucks that prices will be going up due to american tourists, I think it's cool that you guys will be able to experience such a beautiful country and people.

Dan

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Back to motorcycles, which, BTW, was my first thought when I have seen that news item:

Why? Empty roads, climate made for riding year round, rum, cigars and various other pleasures usually associated with motorcycle riding?

(And I assure you no hiding will be required).

US citizens on two wheels will finally be able to take their machines on a trip across a border to a country where they will feel safe (unlike Mexico) and one that will not be excruciatingly boring (unlike Canada ;).
I can find nice roads, year-round riding climate, rum and cigars all in the US and I won't be financing a dictatorship while doing so.

Your "assurance" doesn't provide me with any comfort. If the corrupt Cuban Govt. doesn't like my Flag on my riding gear, or my use of the internet, or my desire for any of the other freedoms it denies it's own people, I'll just tell them I have the "assurance" of a forum member.

"Feel safe (unlike Mexico)" So Cuba is safe because of the good Cuban people; And Mexico is unsafe why? People are generally good everywhere. It's the corrupt govt in both countries that make both countries unsafe.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
"Feel safe (unlike Mexico)" So Cuba is safe because of the good Cuban people; And Mexico is unsafe why? People are generally good everywhere. It's the corrupt govt in both countries that make both countries unsafe.
I'm afraid I completely disagree with you. General populace vary greatly country to country and region to region and the government's level of corruption doesn't always have much bearing on it. There is a massive difference in the behavior of merchants and public officials and regular citizens in Cuba vs Mexico, HUGE difference. So yes, many parts of Mexico are unsafe because of their aggressive citizens and lack of respect for their own tourism industry. Cops shake down tourists in Mexico constantly, this is very rare in Cuba because they are punished so heavily for it. The cuban people seem to have MUCH greater respect for tourists and welcome them with open arms, their merchants aren't trying to overwhelm you and you can actually walk the beaches in the dead of night and not worry about armed criminals killing you for your watch. I have been at resorts and hotels in Mexico (and in other countries) where there are armed security guards at beach entry points that will turn you away because it's unsafe after a certain hour.

Try traveling to Spain and walking the streets of downtown Madrid for an hour.. anything not nailed down to your skin will be stripped off you. Any tour operator will tell you to take off everything and anything, no bags, no camera, nothing. And last I checked, Spain has the same government set up as the UK. A monarchy with a constitutional parliament. I have no such concern walking the alleys and streets of Havana.

Then go to Venezuela, the only country that has actually helped Cuba over the years and unfortunately has a similar government structure. It's a GORGEOUS country in terms of geography, but it's a ****hole where you can be stabbed walking down the street talking on your cellphone. They generally despise "western" outsiders and the populace has grown in to a dog eat dog mentality with much of the impoverished population now fully reliant on meager government handouts to get by. My wife moved to Canada from there 10 years ago and it saddens me a great deal to hear the horror stories of her native country.

So while a corrupt government can obviously affect the social aspect of it's people, there are plenty of examples of **** governments with good people, and solid government with **** people. I've been traveling the world for business and pleasure for 20 years and from my experience, there is a huge difference in the attitudes and behavior of people all over the world. Another example would be France. Any american I know that has visited Paris loved the country, but they all mention how many shop owners looked down their noses at them constantly, as well as many citizens. And they're a constitutional republic.

Again, HUGE difference in the general attitudes of Cubans with tourists vs Mexicans.

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
Big Owe

OK... someone is gonna say it eventually... might as well be me. Is anyone else taken aback by this "unseen sudden action"?? When did We The People vote for this? When was it ever mentioned that this was even in the works??!! The President "suddenly" decided to open borders with Cuba??? Am I seriously the only one that sees what is REALLY going on here? As if we don't have a serious problem keeping people out from South of the Border, but NOW we're gonna let the Cubans migrate here illegally??!! Oh, and guess who or what they vote for when they're given the right to vote... Yup... You got it. SMH.
It is likely an illegal action by the Big Owe. A judge just ruled, another of his executive orders illegal. There are about 400 of these types of memos that have been issued.
Initially I had decided to let the US members worry about it without my input. I used to be a US resident. The current amnesty deals are a joke IMO, compared to what was required to legally enter the country.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
A friend of mine is Cuban and still has family there and all that. I talked to her this morning briefly and she's not happy with the announcement. I wouldn't say she's angry, but she's definitely disappointed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
back to motorcycles

To lighten this thread, and to give those interested in two wheeled transportation for fun and profit a glimpse of what they'll see if and when they choose to visit the island, here'a a dozen of images from the capital and the countryside:

Havana:

Santa Clara:

Vinales:

Havana:

25 shades of grey:

His MZ and his cracker:

Early morning in Havana:

Most ride Jawas, some get to ride Yamahas:

Mighty Jawa 350:

Almost like the Slingshot?
(Two wheels good, four wheels bad. Three wheels - somewhere in between?)

Romancing the scooters:

Full throttle in Havana:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts