Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm in the process of researching my first bike/gear/etc., and I was researching helmets, and came across the Bell Rogue. It's terrific aesthetically, but I wondered about coverage. I'd link it here, but I can't post pictures for another dozen posts. That said, it's pretty easy to find.

Anybody have any stories about them or thoughts about how protective they'd be?

How does the muzzle compare to a full-face helmet, protection-wise?

Thanks!

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Why not wear a full face helmet of you're going to cover your face anyway? The protection of the rogue is the same as a 3/4 helmet. The face mask section won't do much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And RobMoore, as far as why bother with that, I like the aesthetics of it a lot, and I like the notion of flipping the muzzle off if I'm in a stretch of highway/desert/whatever where I'm unlikely to encounter any obstacles.

Also, Calculon, do you know of something similar to the Gringo that has better chin protection? If I fly off the handlebars that's one of my main worries. Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have the Gringo and like it a lot. It fits me well and gets you some facial protection while still allowing for the wind in the face. Minor niggles would be the ear holes are slightly small for me, so my ears get pushed down by the foam a bit, but it's only a minor annoyance for me. If you get the face shield, which I have, it doesn't seal, so if you get caught in the rain, I'm thinking some water will come in unlike a helmet with a sealed shield. How much and how fast I can't tell you cause I've not had it in the rain. I got the red and white one, but it's more of an off white. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the all white one and save the $40.

The only other similar helmet I know of from a major manufacturer is the Bell Bullitt. It's a lot more expensive, but a very nice looking helmet. I've never seen one except on the internet. It looks like the chin bar is smaller than the Gringo for whatever that's worth, but either will probably afford you more protection than the Rogue. I tried on the Rogue once. The top part fit OK, but the face shield part touched my nose slight. I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust it, but I'm guessing at 55MPH, it'll be worse. When I was looking for at the Gringo, I did see a couple other similar helmets, but I'd never heard of the makers before seeing them. Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Calculon! Will probably go with a Gringo and hope I don't A. Crash, and B. Land chin first.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I dug the Bell Rogue at first as well, thought it looked pretty badass. Then I tried it on and my wife started laughing hysterically... so I quietly put it back on the shelf and went looking at jackets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dug the Bell Rogue at first as well, thought it looked pretty badass. Then I tried it on and my wife started laughing hysterically... so I quietly put it back on the shelf and went looking at jackets.
DanR it always amazes me how easily them girls can slap us down to reality... Hahaha

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
DanR it always amazes me how easily them girls can slap us down to reality... Hahaha
LOL! Now see, my wife would never, ever say anything. Especially if I appeared to be excited about getting something. She wants me to be happy.
But, her raised eyebrow look over her glasses usually says it all.:biggrin:

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Once I find gear that's in the range of the protection I want, yeah, the "wife look" has a lot of influence over what I get.

Have you gone into stores and tried on the helmets you're interested in?

·
10,763 Posts
I tried one on. Looked in the mirror and gave myself the look. The print ads make it look like a neat helmet, but it was not so much in person. I have never actually seen a person wear one in public. So I have no opinion on how they would work/look actually in motion on a bike. But maybe the total lack of use by the public speaks volumes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TBH, my primary concern was their coverage. I think they look awesome, but I was mostly wondering how that facemask will hold up in the event of an accident.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts