Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i stopped at Napa today because advance auto parts was missing their bolt size board, me stupidly thinking that Napa would be faster and more competent.

I got the new cashier who didn't know jack squat. Took him 25 minutes to get me 1 ft of brake line and 4 bleeder valves for my calipers. I want your guys advice on how to get faster service without being a complete a**hole to the new guy, or should i just say the heck with that and tell them to get me someone competent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have asked to work with another cashier for the first week and have already memorized what we had on the floor so i would know where the common stuff is. And if i was that incompetent, i would quit.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The training is really lacking at a lot of retail stores. They put someone out in front of the public not knowing what they are doing. I guess that culls out the weak ones, but the customer suffers.

·
Very Famous Person
9,682 Posts
--

So it is expected that a new person in a store with two million different parts available know all about each one? Even the store stock is probably five thousand items. Have a little compassion for a newbie.

Then there's the process of learning how to write up an order, operate the computer/register, research a part, and even understanding what is needed. Many customers don't know anything about what they need, let alone what options are available.

--

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
RonK posted while I was typing. I agree with every thing he said. The only thing I would like to add is...We can only assume he "needed" the job or he wouldn't have been there".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
--

So it is expected that a new person in a store with two million different parts available know all about each one? Even the store stock is probably five thousand items. Have a little compassion for a newbie.

Then there's the process of learning how to write up an order, operate the computer/register, research a part, and even understanding what is needed. Many customers don't know anything about what they need, let alone what options are available.

--
Not in the least, but Napa has a rather limited selection of things on the floor, and knowing where your hose rack is rather basic. I would totally agree if i was looking for something less common, but 25 minutes to get a 1 ft piece of 3/8 straight hose and 4 bleeder valves? If i didn't have compassion i would have just asked to have someone else service me or complained to the manager.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I would have asked to work with another cashier for the first week and have already memorized what we had on the floor so i would know where the common stuff is. And if i was that incompetent, i would quit.
:coffeescreen:

For all we know the guy might have asked for more training and been told "no." It could have been his first day. Who knows? We've all been new on a job and struggled at some point in our lives, including you.

No, what I meant was, if you were the new guy cashier, how would you hope the customer would handle it?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
"Is your manager here? Would you tell him I'd like to talk to him?"

*interminable wait*

"Hi 'Steve'." I appreciate you have to hire and train new employees but I don't think putting them out front here to "sink or swim" is fair to them OR to a regular customer like me.

I come to NAPA because I want professional grade parts and expert service. That's why I'm not down at Autozone. "Steve, " I just don't have TIME today to help train your new employee, Jeff here, despite Jeff's great attitude and desire to help.

Do you have someone more experienced who could help me today? Or COULD YOU ride shotgun and help "Jeff" here instead of just letting him struggle?

Thanks.

OH, and you don't need a bolt board ever again. THERES AN APP FOR THAT!

or

or

or

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5615-Screw-Pitch-Gauge-4-84/dp/B00012YDZ0/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1412899176&sr=1-11&keywords=screw+bolt+gauge[/ame]

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
At least it wasn't a doctor doing his first surgery.

I appreciate people learning a new trade. So what if it takes a little longer to get what you want. Imagine how he felt having to do something he had never been taught to do, or was just told it will happen someday. He was probably more intimidated than you were upset. Next time you are in there, he may be the best and most efficient employee they have.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Or he may thank you for having patience with him today while he was learning...if he didn't already.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
What I learned in the Oregon commune is "It's always ok to politely ask for what you want --- i.e. better service."

It's NOT ok to make yourself upset or others uncomfortable if you don't get what you ask for. The world doesn't revolve around you. Not even in retail

But you have to ask! Otherwise, who's to blame? NAPA? "Steve," the manager? "Jeff the trainee?"

Nope. YOU!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I learned in the Oregon commune is "It's always ok to politely ask for what you want --- i.e. better service."

It's NOT ok to make yourself upset or others uncomfortable if you don't get what you ask for. The world doesn't revolve around you. Not even in retail

But you have to ask! Otherwise, who's to blame? NAPA? "Steve," the manager? "Jeff the trainee?"

Nope. YOU!
Wade thanks, thats why i posted on here :) Sadly android does not have wonderbolt app:frown: i guess apple takes the win on that one.

Eye_m_no_angel Thats how i would want somebody to treat me if i was in that position

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
""Is your manager here? Would you tell him I'd like to talk to him?"

*interminable wait*

"Hi 'Steve'." I appreciate you have to hire and train new employees but I don't think putting them out front here to "sink or swim" is fair to them OR to a regular customer like me.

I come to NAPA because I want professional grade parts and expert service. That's why I'm not down at Autozone. "Steve, " I just don't have TIME today to help train your new employee, Jeff here, despite Jeff's great attitude and desire to help.

Do you have someone more experienced who could help me today? Or COULD YOU ride shotgun and help "Jeff" here instead of just letting him struggle?

Thanks."

-Sounds perfectly reasonable, well thought out, and considerate to me.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
If we ain't got it,You don't need it!

Remember that commercial tag line for auto parts? :smiley_drinkcoffee:

There are plenty more examples of cashiers and others needing training.

Example 1. The local hardware store that I frequent is affiliated with two national buyers services and has just been sold. It is perfectly natural to expect that the new owners would place a few of their people in there along with the other retained employees. when one of the imported employees runs the cash register and I have to help her with my cell phone calculator,well that is a fail. In a hardware store,not everything is sold by scanning a UPC sticker. It is not just me, as a friend on mine messed around with her for 20 minutes getting the math correct on some custom cut and threaded pipe...

Example 2. When I call the same store to get a price on wood [fuel] pellets sold by the one ton skid and say, "OK, I am coming to pick them up".I do not want to then be told when I arrive in my fire breathing Diesel and trailer that they have been out of them since two days ago. When I voiced my displeasure,I was told that "Well,you did not ask if we had them"

There is a silver lining to this story. I found a farm store 8 miles farther up the road that had massive supplies of wood pellets, They were the stocking dealer for the other farm stores in the area, because the building [a former K-mart or something] had so much extra floor space. The cashier burned wood pellets for heat and took the time to take me in the back to show me the five brands and tell me her personal likes and dislikes and what to look for.
The farm store will also price match ,and I saved $115.00 on nine tons. I also have a great place to buy pellets that are carefully stored inside a nice dry warehouse.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I wouldn't blame the new employee. The lack of training and support is the problem. A new employee shouldn't be left by themselves without someone to answer questions they may have.

·
American Legion Rider
18,567 Posts
I really don't see what the complaint is. I'd much rather see someone "trying" than to hand them a welfare check like so many have resorted to. What will you do if you end up with a mentally challenged individual the next time or how do you know this person wasn't. This person wasn't responsible in an immediate life or death position but just trying to help.

Actually I've never been helped at Napa stores nearly as well as others like O'Riley. But I don't make a big deal of it at those Napa stores either because of my second statement.

[sarcastic rant] Maybe I'm seeing why so many choose welfare now. Why deal with the hate. Is that where we are as a nation? [/end sarcastic rant]

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
This is why I'm glad I get to talk to the guy at the back counter y'all never even see. When he's busy and someone from the front counter answers, if I have time I'll give them a chance, everyone starts somewhere. If not I just leave a message for the back counter guy or ask for the manager.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I keep on hearing that people don't understand the complaint, again i would like to emphasize,

Twenty Five minutes to get 5 items, 4 of them were the same, so he only had to find the location of 2 items. And this is not because he was helping someone else, that is the time from when i walked up to him and the time he gave me my change before i walked out. I don't know about you guys but i value my time because i work 60-70 hours a week so when i am getting to do one of my own projects, i would prefer not to waste it just standing there with my thumb up my arse.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Bar codes and novice cashiers...

Globalization will be the death of America. Trying to put UPC codes on nuts and bolts and bulk items was the death knell.

Including those lousy Chinese nuts and bolts they sell at Home Depot, with lousy threads and terrible plating.....

You can watch their Chinese "Stainless Steel" BBQ's rusting out front as the seasons change...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts