Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I'm 16, and I'm planning on getting my first motorcycle. First off, I know that there's a taboo on teens getting motorbikes from the get go due to their tendency to do stupid and risky things. But I am smart and responsible (according to the standards of my parents, teachers, etc.). I understand that you are much safer in a car, especially when learning, but I really love bikes and I plan on being as cautious and careful as possible. That being said, I'm considering getting a Kawasaki Ninja, or one of the Honda CRB bikes. I really like the looks of the ninja, but am open to others as well.

Thanks!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Take the BRC first and then consider what bike to start on. Take it slow and be very careful so you can still be riding when you're 60.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of a Kawasaki Ninja 300, Honda CBR250r, or a Suzuki GS500F. Which one would be best? I'm open to suggestions as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You should consider the Honda Grom too. Sporty look, 125cc. The Ninja and CBR 250/300 are great options too, as is the SV 650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm really leaning towards the ninja 300, but how would it compare to an SV650? I plan to sell this first bike and move up to a more powerful one as soon as i can :biggrin:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
What type of riding are you planning on doing? Commuting back and forth to work and school? Picking up groceries? Riding across the country?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mostly want to commute to school and through the city (San Diego). I would also like to go on short trips eventually (up to L.A., Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, etc.). I don't really need a bike with tons of space (though it would be nice), as I don't run many errands.
I did a bit more research myself and I boiled it down to (in no particular order) :
A) SV650S
B) Ninja 650r
C) GS500F
D) Ninja 300

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 16 year old riding a motorcycle, granted they have the maturity to accept the risks involved. I know plenty of 50 year olds who should not be on a motorcycle because they don't have the maturity to ride responsible. You just need to understand the risks involved, and be prepared to accept them. I for one have accepted the fact that I may possibly die on a motorcycle. But I'd rather die on my bike, doing something I love, rather than wasting away to cancer or some other horrible disease. You need to know your limitations and your bikes limitations and never cross the line.

The BRC course should be your first priority. Learn how to ride, learn how to ride safely. (and don't do wheelies in front of Mom, she may lose it.....)

·
Registered
245 Posts
You should consider the Honda Grom too. Sporty look, 125cc. The Ninja and CBR 250/300 are great options too, as is the SV 650.
If you can afford it, the grom gets 120 MPG.........!!!!!!!

Plus the BRC will really teach you whether or not you want to ride a motorcycle. Some people do not have the ability to ride safely and the course may help you realize you need to stay on 3+ wheels.

I have the ninja 500 as a first bike an it is very manageable. Do as the newbie legend here says, "Stick to two cylinders, no more for a first bike."

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
Yep. We have a Legion Rider that has taken the BRC twice and failed both times. First time he dropped the bike and broke his leg. Second time just dropped it. Guess he learned his lesson about putting foot down. Most have suggested he try a trike but I'm not so sure he should even do that. Some should just not go with two or three wheels. We need support people in cars and trucks to carry water and flags just as bad and that is what he's doing for now. But he really wants to ride. I understand but his safety as well as others should come first. JMO

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think a Ninja 250 is hard to beat. I bought one for my first street bike and sold it for exactly what I bought it for after riding it for a season(lots of demand for them and turnover). Don’t buy new if you’re planning to sell soon. Sure a 300 is better but it will cost a lot more and there are way less new ones. I wouldn’t even consider the CBR250 after talking to owners. Anyway, I would do it again as long as not planning on a lot of freeway riding.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
In the San Diego area I would start by asking if you will be using the interstate. That would indicate a need for one of the larger of the bikes you like. I lived in that area for a while and can say that aside from interstate riding the 300 cc bike should be plenty, especially for a new rider. It will be more forgiving of your mistakes, and you will make them, compared to the larger bikes. If you ride in heavy traffic on I-5 or one of the other interstates I would want at least a 500 cc bike. Traffic on those roads can be murder and you will want the ability to just get out of bad situations. As far as stupid and dangerous actions, who am I to judge you? I ride a 1730 cc Victory at age 66 and it can get me into more trouble than any 500 cc bike, but I just love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where would you be riding on a daily basis? If its mostly surface streets, a Ninja 250 would be a great first choice (Cheaper than a 300 -- if you like the 300 body style, an 08+ 250r looks virtually identical). If you plan on hitting highways, I'd suggest the 300 at minimum, ideally something like the SV650, Ninja 500, or my current long-ride bikes: 2003 Suzuki Katana GSX600F / 750F. The katanas are inline powered, but fairly tame - the 600F was my first bike. They are a little on the heavy side though, so smaller/shorter riders might feel more comfortable with a lighter bike.

In my area, they cost about as much as a Ninja 250 (My 03 katana 600 was actually cheaper than a 250 and had very low miles. Haha) they're a respectable looking bike, and definitely get you where you want to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts