Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost 19 in about 15 days and I am looking for my first bike. I originally was looking at a cbr250r for a good beginning bike and then was told by 2 people that this bike would be too small for me because I am 6,3 and about 205 pounds. So I started looking at 600s but my only problem is that I have never rode and a bike at all so I do not want to kill myself with the power. I feel I would be comfortable on a 600, but again am not sure if it would be too hard for me to get going on a mid range bike. I am taking a motorcycle training course/ safety course and that also gets me my license. What do you guys think, should I go for a 250 or a 600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in this same position a few months ago. First off, you need to decide what you'll mainly be using the bike for. I'm 5'11" 180lbs, and I was looking mainly at the ninja 250 vs the ninja 650. I ended up going with the 650 because the 250 did feel a bit small, and the majority of my riding will be on the freeway.

Keep in mind that the Ninja 650 is not a supersport, whereas alot of the 600cc bikes you may have heard of are. Kawa zx-6r, yamaha r6, etc etc.. I wouldn't get an inline-four as a first bike, but the ninja 650 is an excellent starter bike, and I bought a brand new one for $7300 OTD.

edit: the 250 felt 'small' in comparison to the 650. However I could easily ride the 250. I suggest going to a dealership and physically sitting on some bikes to get the feel for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in this same position a few months ago. First off, you need to decide what you'll mainly be using the bike for. I'm 5'11" 180lbs, and I was looking mainly at the ninja 250 vs the ninja 650. I ended up going with the 650 because the 250 did feel a bit small, and the majority of my riding will be on the freeway.

Keep in mind that the Ninja 650 is not a supersport, whereas alot of the 600cc bikes you may have heard of are. Kawa zx-6r, yamaha r6, etc etc.. I wouldn't get an inline-four as a first bike, but the ninja 650 is an excellent starter bike, and I bought a brand new one for $7300 OTD.

edit: the 250 felt 'small' in comparison to the 650. However I could easily ride the 250. I suggest going to a dealership and physically sitting on some bikes to get the feel for it.
How was the power for you? Did you feel it was too much at first or were you able to get used to it pretty quickly?

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
In addition to the Ninja 650, if you don't mind the look, a Versys 650 would be a great choice for a tall guy. They both have essentially the same engine. The way they make power is very friendly for new riders.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I suggest reading the "stickies". A 600cc Super Sport is WAY TOO MUCH for a beginner. PERIOD. Remember that this will be your "first" bike and NOT your LAST bike. Stick with the smaller displacement 250. Leave your ego at the door. So what if you think that others might laugh at you. Those folks who would laugh are invariably morons who know nothing about proper riding and can only go fast in a straight line. These are the same 600cc wannabes that wet their pants and slam on the brakes whenever they encounter a 10 mph corner. Even an Italian grandmother can out-corner them in her dinky Vespa. Who the f*ck cares anyway? Ride that 250 for several seasons, learn how to ride PROPERLY and then perhaps consider getting something slightly bigger. Sorry if I sound harsh but we're talking about your safety here. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm 6' and around 200 lbs and I ride an RS125. I previously had a Yamaha FZR600R but I'm learning more and having more fun with the tiny 125. And I will never sell her. :biggrin:

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
I thought of an other type of bike that would probably be great for a tall beginner. A 250cc supermoto such as the Yamaha WR250X looks like an excellent choice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Slightly irreverent and NOT aimed at the OP but here's a gem for those morons who insist on getting a Super Sport for their first bike despite the good and sage advice to the contrary. :tongue:

A note of caution as expletives and foul language abound.

http://youtu.be/kUsjv-MRoTs

Yeah, we've heard a ton of excuses (too tall, too heavy, ridden dirt before, want something to attract the honeys, don't want a "girl's" bike, buddies will laugh, etc, etc, etc). Same sh*t, different forum. Guess what, a 600cc SS is NOT exempt from the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Slightly irreverent and NOT aimed at the OP but here's a gem for those morons who insist on getting a Super Sport for their first bike despite the good and sage advice to the contrary. :tongue:

A note of caution as expletives and foul language abound.

http://youtu.be/kUsjv-MRoTs

Yeah, we've heard a ton of excuses (too tall, too heavy, ridden dirt before, want something to attract the honeys, don't want a "girl's" bike, buddies will laugh, etc, etc, etc). Same sh*t, different forum. Guess what, a 600cc SS is NOT exempt from the laws of physics.
That's awesome. HA! :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I suggest reading the "stickies". A 600cc Super Sport is WAY TOO MUCH for a beginner. PERIOD. Remember that this will be your "first" bike and NOT your LAST bike. Stick with the smaller displacement 250. Leave your ego at the door. So what if you think that others might laugh at you. Those folks who would laugh are invariably morons who know nothing about proper riding and can only go fast in a straight line. These are the same 600cc wannabes that wet their pants and slam on the brakes whenever they encounter a 10 mph corner. Even an Italian grandmother can out-corner them in her dinky Vespa. Who the f*ck cares anyway? Ride that 250 for several seasons, learn how to ride PROPERLY and then perhaps consider getting something slightly bigger. Sorry if I sound harsh but we're talking about your safety here. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm 6' and around 200 lbs and I ride an RS125. I previously had a Yamaha FZR600R but I'm learning more and having more fun with the tiny 125. And I will never sell her. :biggrin:
I agree 100%. Ego has cost many new riders I know serious injuries and sadly a few fatalities. Not to mention any new issues you experience should probably be on a bike you are learning on that is inexpensive and less likely to get you killed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts