Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
not really. Newbie's make plenty of mistakes, hey, it's part of the learning process and this bike is not a very forgiving bike. Wish you luck. Hopefully you do fine.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
No. Heavy with a high center of gravity and very powerful. It is one of the worst choices for a first bike.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
On your new member post you said you have been riding for about a month. How has that gone for you? Your answer probably depends on that. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, riding has been going great. I am very careful with this bike. So I haven't had a wreck and I'm having a fantastic time!

·
Registered
804 Posts
RobMoore is correct, the FJR is not a super sport, it's a sport touring bike. It's made to haul a$$ for a very long time (500+ miles in a day) at high speeds. The bike has a high potential for getting you into trouble, and here's why. It has a slightly detuned Yamaha R1 engine (the big boy motor for racing) stuffed into a large chassis. So, not only is it powerful, but it's large on top of that, which makes it somewhat unwieldy. It is designed for experienced riders who have the skillset to handle that combination.

As a previous owner of an FJR and one who has 40 years experience on motorcycles, I strongly recommend you rethink keeping it. That bike is not only powerful, but it's a bear to maneuver. Go over to the FJR Forum and look at all the guys who have trouble with it, and they're moving up from smaller bikes and have experience.

Just as an example, here is a quote from one guy on that forum:
What I’ve been thinking about is this – My riding has gotten more dangerous in some areas indirectly proportional to my improved skill. I know I am better able to handle a situation that may arise with my improved riding. But if a surprise happens on a corner there is a good chance I’ll be going faster than I used to when I wasn’t as confident. I don’t hang way off like I learned in Lee Parks Total Control training, but I still shift my weight and setup the corner and find I have to be going pretty fast to get the feel of the lean I’m desiring.
If you decide to keep it, I'd recommend you get a LOT of training so you learn to handle it. Take an advanced riding course (start with the beginner course, if you haven't already done that). You should also become an active member on the FJR Forum as well. There are lots of guys there with experience who might be able to help you out in some way.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from riding. I'm telling you that that bike demands a healthy dose of respect and experience to handle it.

Good luck with it.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
No. SuperSports are 600cc race replicas. ZX6r, R6, GSXR600, CBR600RR.

Superbikes are the 1000cc counterparts to those bikes, but sometimes dealers list them as supersports as well.

The term "sport bike" on the other hand is a very broad category. A bike doesn't have to be a super sport to be a sport bike. A Ninja 250 is a sport bike. A CB300F is a sport bike. Neither of these bikes is very fast or very expensive, but contrary to what the general bike buying public thinks, they don't have to be to be considered a sport bike.

·
Nightfly
4,416 Posts
Learn to do the things you think you cannot do. If you have the belief that you can do it, then you will acquire the ability to do it even if you may not have it in the beginning. As your confidence grows learn to embrace it. Confidence is just believing in you and having the skills to back it up. Whereas cockiness is bragging or showing off without the needed skills to back it up.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Learn to do the things you think you cannot do. If you have the belief that you can do it, then you will acquire the ability to do it even if you may not have it in the beginning. As your confidence grows learn to embrace it. Confidence is just believing in you and having the skills to back it up. Whereas cockiness is bragging or showing off without the needed skills to back it up.
:thumbsup: Truth.

And wise words.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
One of the hardest things for me to learn was proper hand positioning. On more than one occasion I accidently grabbed too much throttle. Thankfully, my bike is a very forgiving bike and I didn't get myself in much trouble. Scared the pants off of me, but made me learn the proper hand position. I can't even imagine doing that on a bike like this.

·
Registered
804 Posts
One of the hardest things for me to learn was proper hand positioning. On more than one occasion I accidently grabbed too much throttle. Thankfully, my bike is a very forgiving bike and I didn't get myself in much trouble. Scared the pants off of me, but made me learn the proper hand position. I can't even imagine doing that on a bike like this.
You raise a very good point. The FJR is known to have a jerky throttle. A lot of riders remap it with a Power Commander to smooth it out.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Let me wish you the best of luck. If you had asked the question before buying, I am one who would have tried to discourage you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. SuperSports are 600cc race replicas. ZX6r, R6, GSXR600, CBR600RR.

Superbikes are the 1000cc counterparts to those bikes, but sometimes dealers list them as supersports as well.

The term "sport bike" on the other hand is a very broad category. A bike doesn't have to be a super sport to be a sport bike. A Ninja 250 is a sport bike. A CB300F is a sport bike. Neither of these bikes is very fast or very expensive, but contrary to what the general bike buying public thinks, they don't have to be to be considered a sport bike.
Ok thank you. i have been misinformed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me just say to all of you that this bike is my dads and i didn't buy it. My dad trusts me enough to ride it. Second, i don't have insurance because its SUPER expensive. Also I don't do anything stupid or dangerous (except for empty, long straight roads to see what it can do). Finally I have a mentality that I control the bike not the other way around. I understand the power that im sitting on and respect it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts