Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've got a C50t. My first bike. I love it. Porky taught me how to change the shaft drive oil. Easy! If I had to do over again I'd have saved a little more and bought the C90, or better yet, a C109rt. All shaft driven.
In retrospect you don’t the c90 would have been too big for your first bike?

·
Registered
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
11 Posts
You could be right. That is as lot of bike for the first one. I think I could've handled that big of bike initially, but that is my experience talking, which I did not have initially.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've got a C50t. My first bike. I love it. Porky taught me how to change the shaft drive oil. Easy! If I had to do over again I'd have saved a little more and bought the C90, or better yet, a C109rt. All shaft driven.
I had a C50, now I have C90T and M90.......they are NOT the same engine and they are geared different which I'd guess is in the wheel end of the final drive.....some day I'll take it apart and count teeth

Yes the shaft oil is extra easy, oil and oil filter is also easy.

The C90, M90, GSXS are all change oil 3500 miles.....filter every 3rd oil change......I change the filter every time C50 is probably the same

If look at Kawasaki, M90 and Mean Streak are very similar motorcycles, Kaw has 7500mile service interval.......but they have an oil strainer to clean every service......the oil strainer is keeping the oil cleaner before it hits the filter......on the Suzuki's you are changing the oil sooner and the oil is cleaner hitting the filter

Really the only downside to 3500 service interval is if I take a cross country trip

Some people don't like floorboards, the footpeg brackets for M50 will replace the floorboard brackets for C50

Enjoy the C50 for at least a couple yrs.......you'll be amazed at how much you'll get for it, so your first couple yrs of riding the bike won't cost that much. But don't think for a second you will be spending less on gasoline, you will be spending more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had a C50, now I have C90T and M90.......they are NOT the same engine and they are geared different which I'd guess is in the wheel end of the final drive.....some day I'll take it apart and count teeth

Yes the shaft oil is extra easy, oil and oil filter is also easy.

The C90, M90, GSXS are all change oil 3500 miles.....filter every 3rd oil change......I change the filter every time C50 is probably the same

If look at Kawasaki, M90 and Mean Streak are very similar motorcycles, Kaw has 7500mile service interval.......but they have an oil strainer to clean every service......the oil strainer is keeping the oil cleaner before it hits the filter......on the Suzuki's you are changing the oil sooner and the oil is cleaner hitting the filter

Really the only downside to 3500 service interval is if I take a cross country trip

Some people don't like floorboards, the footpeg brackets for M50 will replace the floorboard brackets for C50

Enjoy the C50 for at least a couple yrs.......you'll be amazed at how much you'll get for it, so your first couple yrs of riding the bike won't cost that much. But don't think for a second you will be spending less on gasoline, you will be spending more
What do you mean by spending more on gas? If you mean because beginners think it's better than a car - no I'm not fooled in that regard. I'm getting a bike for one and only one reason. It's fun.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
What do you mean by spending more on gas? If you mean because beginners think it's better than a car - no I'm not fooled in that regard. I'm getting a bike for one and only one reason. It's fun.
Tally up how much you spend on gas each month........after riding tally up how much you spend on gas

How much you spend......NOT how much per mile.......total how much you spend

with car you drive, lets say 25 miles a day........with motorcycle you ride 100+ miles per day

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Shaft drive. Change the oil and forget about it.

S F
So you are saying, when I am blasting down the freeway on Yami, I can stop worrying when was the last time I changed or checked the oil level? Oh goody.
Once upon a time, lets say 1972, the BMW bikes would wind up the rear end when throttle was applied. Moto Guzzi was much better. My 79 XS1100 has the slightest fell on a slow takeoff, but other wise nothing. I will assume that on all of the newer bikes, you would not feel a different when riding.
I bought my old Yamaha for winter riding, when the roads are dirty. Other winter bike is a 400 with a chain. UK

·
Ace Tuner
2,759 Posts
So you are saying, when I am blasting down the freeway on Yami, I can stop worrying when was the last time I changed or checked the oil level? Oh goody.
No.
I'm saying buy a shaft drive bike, keep the rear final drive gear box oil changed (with hypoid gear oil). THEN you can forget worrying about your final drive system... Till the next time your rear final drive gear box is due for another oil change using hypoid gear oil of course.
Others have said keep the rear final drive gear box oil changed. I thought that to be a given, no?
Oh good.

S F

·
Ace Tuner
2,759 Posts
I know for a fact that my post had the words "on schedule".
Yep.
It is so cheap and easy that I recommend doing a gear oil change every other engine oil change. Assuming an engine oil (and filter) change at about 2000 ~ 3000 miles. (Yeah I know, too often according to manual). Don't care.
Not only that but fill the new filter with oil before installing.

S F

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Hopefully by next winter, after I get the new house built, and an occupancy permit, I will build the mansion expansion.
12 X 14 is the current size. It will serve as the everything room, but, have a spot to wheel in one bike at a time for regular service. Yami has had the middle drive, and final drive oil changed. UK

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
362 Posts
Maintenance in a shaft drive is just like changing your motor oil. If a gesr loses a tooth or something, it's a big to do and will be costly. I haven't heard of many shaft drive having an issue under 100k miles.
Unless you put on tons of miles, the belt will probably outlast the bike but it will have to be replaced by 60-80k or 10 years (rubber compound breaks down) or longer if it's in a lot of sun/heat. Replacing a belt is slot of work.
They're both better than chains for maintenance but belts can't take the power as well as w chain or shaft. Not a problem on cruisers or tourers, though.

·
American Legion Rider
23,125 Posts
Yep.
It is so cheap and easy that I recommend doing a gear oil change every other engine oil change. Assuming an engine oil (and filter) change at about 2000 ~ 3000 miles. (Yeah I know, too often according to manual). Don't care.
Not only that but fill the new filter with oil before installing.

S F
Maybe a dumb question but don't you ever need to grease the splines on your shaft drive? That always seemed to be the killer on BMW's, they lack of greasing the splines.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but don't you ever need to grease the splines on your shaft drive? That always seemed to be the killer on BMW's, they lack of greasing the splines.
Good point. And the universal joint. Remind me to look at those some day.
How often do we check them on a rear wheel drive cage? UK

·
Registered
Buells, Hardley, Suzuki, Beemer, and a big Katoom
71 Posts
2012 Yamaha super tenere, 83,250 miles, driveshaft fluid changed every 25,000 miles.
I do grease the splines every time I change tires, and check the seals as well.
water, desert sand, rocks, nothing has slowed this final drive system down.
I do like my belt drives also, but for this application, the driveshaft is a better option than chain or belt. :)

A bad day riding, is always better than a good day at work! ;)

·
Shadow Moderator
1,166 Posts
Late 1990's and early 2000's BMW boxers are notorious for spline failure on the transmission input shaft. BMW has never issued any official statement, much less a recall. But those who have studied the problem originally thought it was due to lack of lube on the splines. Later and better understanding is that the primary cause is misalignment of the transmission to the motor. Lubing the splines on a misaligned bike can delay the inevitable failure, but cannot prevent it. Motorcycles that have proper alignment (mine is apparently one of these) can go hundreds of thousands of miles with no spline lubing and no spline failure.

Regardless, putting some moly grease on them is probably a good idea as it will prevent rust and galling. It's not a trivial task, though, as it requires removing the swing arm and then removing the transmission. While you're in there you may as well just replace the clutch.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts