Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new a rider and I'm really interested in learning how to rebuild and customize bikes. You guys have any recommendations on where a beginner that doesn't know much should start if he wants to learn?

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Welcome!

Buy a cheap welder and learn to weld - huge help!

Motorcycle Repair Course also
Good plan. What do I need to weld exhaust pipes? It could be my new business. Just one customer so far. Me.

Another modern idea, is get a bike with a double loop frame, front and rear discs and chain drive. Throw the motor and gear box away, and install an electric motor and batteries. It can and has been done.
Get some solar panels and a couple of spare batteries. Swap the batteries as required. All my bike batteries are connected to battery tenders. My tractor battery gets charged by a 100 watt solar panel and 20 amp analog rectifier. Works great.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,081 Posts
Hey guys I'm new a rider and I'm really interested in learning how to rebuild and customize bikes. You guys have any recommendations on where a beginner that doesn't know much should start if he wants to learn?
There used to be a time where you could take a class from an education institute. Like after hours high school classes. But I don't think any of that is around anymore. Might not hurt to ask your local high schools if they know of any.

So figuring you'll strike out there. The next best is to buy a running bike and just dig in. Just making a few mods or bringing one back to showroom condition will challenge you. And just ask questions here if you can't find a answer in your searches. Believe it or not, almost everything you can think of has been asked and answered here. But trial and error, learn as you go, will get you that education. Just have fun learning. It can be frustrating but you won't be the first that has done just that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you think I should start if I like to learn to weld frames and other parts of the bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,778 Posts
Check the local adult education classes put by your community college.

·
American Legion Rider
21,081 Posts
Check the local adult education classes put by your community college.
That's where I was aiming Critter but I realize not every town has a community college. But most have a high school and they can point to the nearest trade school or higher education facility. But you are dead on.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Where do you think I should start if I like to learn to weld frames and other parts of the bike.
Sometimes just keeping an old bike running, is experience enough. I suggest you start with that. By the time you change all the bearings, which includes the wheels, swing arm and steering head, then fix the brakes, and get spark and lights, and change the tires and fix the seat, and replace the shocks and replace the oil in the forks, and check the alignment, and replace the exhaust and clean the carbs and actually turn it in to something you can ride, and go riding after buying some gear;

After that, you may have strayed from your original plan. For me it is having at serviceable bike to ride.
If you get something like my 83 XS400 for next to nothing, it will cost about $1000 for the above, and maybe 3 months or more, depending on your ability.

UK

·
Registered
59 Posts
Every bike I've owned has been a fixer upper.
I'd say before you learn to build a bike, you need to learn how it all works and how to make it run and operate as it should.
That's best learned like stated above, by working on old bikes and fixing them up. That way you'll understand how things like the brakes, engine, and electronics all work on a bike.

When it comes to building or modifying a bike, a welder is likely a must, and a necessary skill but knowing and understanding the basics about a motorcycle is far more important.

·
Biker
1,380 Posts
I'd say Unkle Krusty has a fine idea, get to know about bikes in general. Buy one that needs work,
Get it to run the way it should. Learn all the maintenance items, try to get a good idea of carbs or
fuel injection, various types of ignition systems, charging system, suspension, etc. Then when you
have a good idea of the overall construction of a bike, that would probably be a good time to start
building or learning how to build your own bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Find yourself a basket case that at least turns over by hand, see if it has compression and buy it. Tinker with it and see what makes her tick. Get yourself a service manual, I can help with just about any manual you may need. Good luck and have fun. Knowledge is something no one can ever take away from you.
Also,I've been a welder/fabricator for over 30 years. For any of you guys or gals thinking about trying your hand at welding, I'm here for any questions and would be glad to help in any way I can. You may want to look into getting the Vulcan Multi process machine from Harbor Freight. For around $900 there's a ton of bang for your buck and it's a seriously nice tool addition to any garage that you won't be sorry that you have. I got one about a year ago when my old Miller (dinosaur age) welder took a dump and I absolutely cannot say a bad word about it. It can stick, MIG and TIG weld with the best of them. In fact, 7018/6011/6010 rod runs as good as any machine I've ever used. It's comparable to the Lincoln MP machine and it's $1K less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts