Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you to everyone taking a bit of time to read this. So, I'm relatively young (17) and my mother's boyfriend rides a 2009 R1200 RT. My mom's never been that big on the idea of motorcycles, but he has helped show her that with the right amount of precaution and safety, you can minimize the risks involved with riding. Very recently, I became interested in learning to ride myself. My mother, of course, is not necessarily opposed to me getting my motorcycle endorsement, but she isn't big on the idea of me having a bike of my own. Ironically enough, I have about $6.5k that I have saved up for the purchase of a car, but my mother and I have gone back and forth on the issue of which car to buy, insurance, gas, etc. for nearly 6 months now, so it's just been sitting there accumulating lackluster interest. So, I suppose I have two questions for you.

1. What is a good bike for a complete beginner? (I'm asking in the BMW forum because I really like them, and would prefer something like an F650 GS).

2. What aspects of said bike can I point out (safety, gas mileage, versatility, etc.) to help convince my mother that it would be practical to have?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
1 - I think the G650GS and F700GS would be great beginner bikes that wouldnt limit your riding once you become a skilled rider. Ive got a G650GS and its a very capable machine......80+ on the interstate all day, yep it does it great. 55 on the back roads....yep.

2 - Safety.....ABS is the biggest. Ive ridden almost every manufacturers ABS system and I think the BMW ones is one of the best, if not the best.

Gas milesage......the G650GS gets about 65 mpg the way I ride it. Versatility....yeah, these bikes are more road oriented BUT they can be used off-road as well. Ive got a big set of panniers on mine and it can carry TONS of cargo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of the new GS's have really advanced safety options(even though it would probally be out of your price range unless you find a used cheap).
Also you will spend less on gas.
I was worried at first (new teenage rider) that my insurance would sky rocket because im a new rider on a motorcycle! But it really was not that bad ( i beleive $97 for a year) and it will decrease with time.

best of luck with your future motorcycle choice and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The g650gs is a great bike for a beginner. Has lots of safety features and extras for comfort. Antilock brakes, heated grips, hand guards I have one and I love it.
Even my grandson rides it:biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you could get a good used one fairly reasonable. The best I can advise you is safety first. I have ridden well over 2 million miles on bikes. I started riding in 1947 and I still ride an R1200CL. That bike might be a tough bike to start with so therefor I think also that a 650 would do the trick for you nicely and it won't break the bank on gas either. So whatever you ride, keep the safety aspects right up front all the time and you will fare well. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I don't suggest a new bike as a beginner only because you could grow tired of it quickly, a F650GS would be a nice bike to start out on. I wouldn't suggest using all your money on a bike as your sole means of transportation. I'm speaking from experience when I say it's nice to have a car sometimes when all you have is a bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm throwing my two cents in, and suggesting not getting a BMW as a 17 year old buying his first bike. Required services are expensive and the cost of the bike is up there, too. The Japanese are offering 350cc class motorcycles now that require very little maintainence, and the acquisition price is very affordable. There you go..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
Once again we give advice to a OP that hasn't been back since he asked the question a year ago

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recommend getting something like a Honda shadow or a yamaha rader or even a kawisaki BN, theyre cheap and easy to work on and easy to sell after you want to keep riding or decide you dont like riding after a couple of close calls with idiots or even someone in a big truck aggressing you by swerving one of there big tires at you and your bike

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,745 Posts
Probably be doing more wrenching than riding but not the worst for a beginner. Has some quirks as far as throttle response that a noob might have a little trouble getting used to. Would certainly suggest something smaller that actually runs to learn on while you get the beemer operational. By that time you would be ready for the larger machine. But it isn't a bad first bike at all. It was in fact my wife's second bike after learning on a 185 Honda. To me that's the way a noob should go but if you survive more power to ya.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I would start with how much you want to spend. I pick up older (1980-1990's) BMW's for $2-3K. BMW's are the way to go. If you don't spend much on them in the first place it won't hurt so much when you drop them as you start out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first bike was a 1980 Honda CB650. It was perfect to learn on because it was cheap, easy to work on, and gave me a respect for safety as a priority. I moved to a 1993 Suzuki Katana and was blown away by how much faster it was. If I had not started on a slow and heavy bike, I think I would have gotten in a lot more trouble before my skills were developed enough. I highly recommend starting with a bike that's close to the $1000 range to learn on, then sell it for basically what you paid, more if you're lucky, and move onto something you care more about.

You will likely drop your first bike at some point. Mine happened when I forgot to put the kickstand down. I was glad it happened on an old bike that I had little care about cosmetics on. I've learned to always double check the stand before starting to set a bike down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts