Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I’m a new rider, I am curious to hear your stories of when you first began to ride. What were your struggles? Fears? How long did it take you to get out on the road? Anything that can help me understand what’s normal and what is not.

I hear about a lot of people having experience with manual transmission therefore didn’t struggle as much to get started. I don’t share that luck so I’m struggling a bit on my take off and on my stopping, it’s pretty shaky. Is this normal? Is it normal to feel nervous stopping and taking off? I tiptoe too it doesn’t help, I lowered my bike, I’m 4”11 and weigh 123. I have a BMW G310.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
453 Posts
Any reason to start on that bike ? No dirt bike experiance ? That is the best starting spot IMO . Lightweight , easily manuvered , Not a lot of things too break when you fall .. ....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Nothing wrong with that bike as a starter. Have you taken the MSF Basic Rider Course? If not, take it and learn the basic from coaches. If you have consider taking it again or getting a couple hours private lessons. Keep at it, you will get better. And, nothing wrong with tiptoe for a while until you build your skills and confidence. You are only a beginner once, enjoy it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with that bike as a starter. Have you taken the MSF Basic Rider Course? If not, take it and learn the basic from coaches. If you have consider taking it again or getting a couple hours private lessons. Keep at it, you will get better. And, nothing wrong with tiptoe for a while until you build your skills and confidence. You are only a beginner once, enjoy it.
I did take the course, bug finding a bike took a while and also lowering it took about another week, finding someone to help me practice was also a challenge since practicing with hubby wasn’t working.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,360 Posts
Welcome, I have found that putting the front tire against a curb and use the throttle and clutch to half climb the curb and then letting it back down and doing it again. This will help you with the friction zone.

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
355 Posts
I learned when I was 13 in my friend's backyard on RM80 dirt-bike. I did stall and crash couple times, but figured it out. Then it was all fun ripping around backyard! We set up jumps and ponds to ride through.

When I moved to Santa Barbara for university, one of 1st things I got was motorcycle to get around. Driving to campus was impossible due to no parking, was late to classes all the time. With moto, I could park on sidewalk right outside of classroom!

Got Honda VF500 from guy near campus. Never ridden road-moto before, boy was it heavy. I just hopped on and rode off. But... his driveway was really steep to get out and it had crest at top that you couldn't see over, I slowed down and stopped... But... big heavy bike compared to what I was used to required MORE throttle than ever to get started. I stalled and it started rolling backwards!! OH NO!!!!!!

Couldn't get any traction with 2 tippy-toes on ground and it went sideways and fell over. How embarrassing. Guy ran up and helped me pick it up. This time I gave it full-throttle taking off and popped wheelie!! WOooohooo!!! It's like riding dirt-bike again!!! :)

Still have my 1st bike, 40-yrs later! :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
The shifting should become old hat pretty quickly. I would suggest if you're having trouble being on your tiptoes learning to put only one foot down, usually the left, which you should be able to flat foot. This allows you to finish braking with the just the rear brake, which lessens nose dive, making the bike easier to control. It'll take some practice, but like the shifting you'll learn.

I spent the first few weeks I had my bike, a 250cc, riding around the neighborhood because I live in a small town that doesn't really have a suitable large parking lot for practice. On a nice day I decided to ride my bike to work, which is about 10 miles down a fairly well tree lined two lane 55MPH highway. I noticed the trees in my front yard were swaying from the wind so I checked the weather for rain. It said 25MPH winds with gusts up to 40MPH, but no rain. I'm like "How bad could it be?". It was bad. I had several almost panic attacks from getting wind blasted everywhere there was an opening in the trees. I had to slow down and go on the shoulder for stretches. I probably wouldn't have noticed in my car, but there's some things you can't learn anywhere but on the back of a motorcycle. Good luck my friend and welcome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd on my first bike. The salesman said that the shift pattern was 1, N,2,3,4.
So, when I shifted from 1st, I moved the foot lever 2 times, thinking I had to shift past neutral. And the bike would stall because it was in 3rd gear.
No electric starter either. It took about 3 tries around the parking lot before the man saw my problem and educated me on shifting motorcycles.
Then I rode home in 5:00 work traffic on my first try at motorcycle riding. I loved it.

Stay Safe,

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
355 Posts
The shifting should become old hat pretty quickly. I would suggest if you're having trouble being on your tiptoes learning to put only one foot down, usually the left, which you should be able to flat foot. This allows you to finish braking with the just the rear brake, which lessens nose dive, making the bike easier to control. It'll take some practice, but like the shifting you'll learn.
Thanks!!! That was my biggest break-through! I kept on tipping over when stopped because I kept on trying to keep bike perfectly vertical (because it was so heavy). As soon as I figured out that little lean is OK, I was able to scoot cheek off seat and flat-foot one side firmly. So much more control! I don't think I tipped over at stop for another 30-yrs! :)

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
957 Posts
I started on mu buddies Suzuki enduro about 1977 in 9th grade. Scared to death of it but I know how to shift a standard becuse the only car may parents ever had was a 64 chevrolet three on the tree. I did fine till I had to u turn at the end of the dirt road. I knew I was going to wipe it out at 1/2 mph. I got over that and rode it all over the country side. After HS, I got a Yamaha YZ400 dirt bike. That hing was wild and I mastered it pretty good. The FFW to today. 3 or so yrs ago, I got my Suzuki C90T. The first time over 60 was wild but that went away soon. The first time to town was wild, then the fisrt 200 mile day was wild, then the first overnight was wild, and that all lewd to my biggest trip by myself, 1750 miles, College Station Tx to Abeline, to Amarillo, to New Mexico, then back across Rt 66 into Oklahoma, then way north in Oklahoma, then back down thru Oklahoma City to Dallas to home. Each thing seems daunting till you face it and surpass it. I plan as best as I can. Do maintenance as best as I can. Take pictures along the way and conquer one hill and one curve and one town at a time. It never hurts to pray first then ride, something I always do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I started riding when I was 13. Everyone in my family rode except for my mom. We all rode small Japanese enduros, mostly in the Calif desert.

In our time, most bikes for kids were approx 100cc, and I had a lot of fun on mine. I even rode my Kawasaki 100 to high school. As time went on, we graduated to bigger bikes, Ossa Suzuki and Bultaco were favorites, and all of our dirt bikes were 250cc except the Suzuki 185.

After I went into the Air Force, I bought a Suzuki 500 Titan 2-stroke twin, (2 strokes are all we rode.) I loved that bike, I wish I still had it. Later, I received in trade a Honda 550 4. Being used to 2-strokes, I was disappointed in it's performance and quickly sold it.

Times have changed, and now I have a 1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk. Why this bike? Still getting used to the top-heaviness and the very high red line, but it's growing on me.and the price was reasonable and mileage low. I hadn't ridden a bike for approx 30 years, but like riding a bicycle, it came back to me quickly. I also appreciate the fact it has hydraulic valves, no adjustments,.yeah!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hi everyone! I’m a new rider, I am curious to hear your stories of when you first began to ride. What were your struggles? Fears? How long did it take you to get out on the road? Anything that can help me understand what’s normal and what is not.

I hear about a lot of people having experience with manual transmission therefore didn’t struggle as much to get started. I don’t share that luck so I’m struggling a bit on my take off and on my stopping, it’s pretty shaky. Is this normal? Is it normal to feel nervous stopping and taking off? I tiptoe too it doesn’t help, I lowered my bike, I’m 4”11 and weigh 123. I have a BMW G310.
Thanks!!
Nothing arcane or magic, just good old fashioned practice. When I started off, I disdained slow speed exercises and got bored super quick even though, intellectually, I knew better. Reached a point where I could tell I'd plateaued and decided to be more methodical and disciplined, devoting time at least once a week to parking lot practice. Made a noticeable difference almost immediately.

There are a ton of good YT channels that focus on beginner drills. Find one that fits your style and an open area that suits you. Like most others mentioned, it's just a matter of repetition and getting that muscle memory down. I still remember the first time I ventured onto the small highway by my house and pulled up beside an 18 wheeler... :oops:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started out when I was about 9 or 10 when my dad bought a Suzuki 80 in around 1967-1968. We had a farm and so we rode the heck out of it. Then sometime in my early high school years I bought a Kaw 350 enduro. I ran the devil out of that thing. I bought my first road bike in the spring of 1978…a 72 Yamaha 650 twin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts