Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken the MSF course a few months ago and I have my motorcycle endorsement, I just need to buy a helmet and a riding jacket for my gear and I have saved $3100 to buy a motorcycle. The problem is I've been searching from craigslist, ebay, dealers, and everything just to find a sport-bike motorcycle that is for me, but people keep telling me to start on a 250cc and some keep telling me to start on a 600cc and I'm getting confused and desperate cause I've been searching for weeks, and I've sat on all types of bikes but I haven't test rode them yet. So please other motorcyclists help!

USE: I live in South Florida and I mostly commute to a university and back home (about 10mins), sometimes I use the highway, sometimes I don't. and there are a lot of "non-busy roads" where I live.

BODY-TYPE: I am a young female (18yrs), I'm 5'5 and 124lbs, I also have a small/thin frame.

PURPOSE: I'm just looking for a good time on my motorcycle, I think in the future I would want to track race and group ride but not anytime soon, and I just want to enjoy the overall riding experience.

So, Should I start on a 250cc or on a 600cc? What brand/kind of sport-bike would be best? Where would you prefer to buy a beginner motorcycle? What is your first time experience? And any other tips, advice, or anything would be useful.

Thanks !! :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
First off, 600 cc sport bike and a 600 cc cruiser are two different animals. How much riding experience do you have? If you are just starting, a 250 cc sportbike would do you just fine. 600 cc might get you in a bit of trouble. But you need to ride what you feel comfortable on. If a 250 feels better than a 600, what does it matter what others say? You'll learn more and gain more experience starting small.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Flat, straight Florida roads...
Only 124 lbs...
Assume it's a highway that's not super-congested...
On highways sparingly...

Seems to me something like the Honda CBR300 or Kawasaki Ninja300 should be fine. I've ridden the CBR 250 -- it is pretty lightweight and, therefore, I would not want to ride it on a busy highway very much, but I've read that both of the 300's have top speeds greater than 100mph and can go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds.

Of course, the advantage to them being lightweight is that they are exceedingly easy to maneuver, both at speed and in a parking lot.

Not sure you'd really want to start on a powerful sportbike like a 600 cc bike.

I think the Ninja also has a 500cc that should fit you and is supposedly quite manageable.
It would also might be more fun at the track when you are more experienced.

Have fun shopping!
goalie

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gabi.
At your weight and height I would start with a nice used 250. It will do highway speeds with no trouble and be economical for your rides to and from school. After a couple of years you may want to move up in displacement but you may not feel that urge. If you do you will likely get back most of what you paid for the bike.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was right were you are now last year with a newly minted motorcycle license and zero experience.

A friend helped me find a used Honda Magna that was in some ways ideal as it was in good shape and inexpensive. In other ways it was not. It was old and had a few minor problems, nothing serious, but I know nothing about motorcycles, so it was a bit of a pain to right the ship. I think this is true of anything used. The farther away you get from new, the better chance you'll have trouble.

I also felt it was way too big and powerful for me to control. I think your confidence level will play a big role. If you're a confident rider, you can probably handle a larger bike. If you still feel wet behind the ears after class like me, maybe a smaller bike is the way to go.

I ended up selling the Magna and getting a new TU250x. It is my opinion a great beginner bike. I personally like the standard style. The other 250cc street bikes are more cruiser style. That's a personal choice and there are 250cc/300cc sport bikes if that's what you're after. The TU250x is light and nimble, so I feel like I'm much more in control than I ever did on the Magna. A couple times I came close to dropping TU250x, but because it's so light, was able to catch it before doing so. I also know if I drop it, I can pick it up.

When I first got my TU250x, I was all like I'm going to ride it for a few months and then upgrade. Now I'm not so sure that I won't keep it, at least for a few years anyway until there's something I really want. Even though I've got 2500 miles under my belt, I know that I could still use more practice It's not the fastest bike, but it's a lot of fun to drive fast. It's happy to do 60-65MPH down the highway and is very stable. I get a lot of compliments on it too as people think it's an old bike.

I don't know about South Florida, but there's still dealers here in the Upper Midwest trying to get rid of new old stock 2012 and a few 2011 TU250x. They're willing to be very generous on price. I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think if you are a new rider, at your size and stature you can have a lot of fun on a 250 Ninja, and you can pick one up for under $2000 in great shape. Your first bike is a stepping stone anyway, and those bikes are easy to get your money back out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts