Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I'm from Central Texas and currently ride a 07 Honda Shadow 1100. It's got some miles on it, but I enjoy it greatly. I'm still a fairly new rider, (as in I'm starting to feel comfortable going the speed limit on highways) but I know I have a long road ahead.

One of the reasons I set out to find a forum was to get more information on mods and customizing my bike. I really like it and want to make it my own even though it's an older bike. It's the first one I purchased, but it just feels like it needs to be the last bike I buy. I could be wrong later in life cause I keep eyeing other bikes wondering how it rides.

Hope to get some questions answered in different parts of the forum!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Given the fact that you are a "new" rider, it makes perfect sense that you would see add-on items on other bikes that will interest you. Make a wish list, but don't put yourself thru sleepless nights about your wish list.

Right now, focus on improving your skills as a rider. Give yourself a variety of riding situations to work on. Highway, Secondary roads; traffic and open road. Stop lights and no stop lights...........mix it up. Learn your endurance limits and set some travel goals with stops to get accustomed to the kind of riding that you like.

One additional piece of advice..........don't spend so much time on your bike that you neglect your life OFF the bike (family, friends, work, chores...etc). Keep everything in balance.

-soupy

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

What Soupy did not mention, was familiarization with slow speed riding. Going down the highway at traffic speeds is pretty easy from a skill standpoint. Maneuvering around a Safeway parking lot at slow speed with other vehicles and people around is much harder.

I would suggest you pad the parts of your bike that will touch the ground when your bike is on its side, put on padded clothing, and go to the back lot of a large shopping center. Practice making starts, stops, and tight turns at slow speeds from either direction and staying in control. You can learn how to do this from bike riding instruction classes or videos or books. On this site, Cap't Crash has videos that show you some stuff, too. Use your search button.

--

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
From a northern neighbor...

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Call JP Cycles and have them send you a free metric catalog. That'll get you started in looking at what sort of parts and aftermarket stuff is out there.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. When you decide what things you want to add do a search on the forum, most things are discussed. JP Cycles is a great place to start looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts