Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!
So i have made a couple of posts asking whether or not i could fit certain bikes such as the rebel 500 and the virago 535.

I am 6 foot 2 looking to get a bike within the A2 requirements over in the EU. So i need a bike that i Can fit on which has the Maximum of 48 horsepower!

It seems as if i can’t get a bike that meets the A2 requirements, because people always recommend a Big bike with 1000+ cc which i can’t ride because of the restriktion of the 48 HP...

I hope someone Can atleast point me in a direction... i would like a cruiser type of bike, as i am not that interested in sports bikes, which people also say is a problem since they have a low seat height ://

Thank you as always and i hope you Can help me, all feedback is appreciated! Good and bad!

- A confused enthusiastic beginner

·
Registered
607 Posts
Whether a certain bike is a fit for you is really beyond what another person can tell you with any certainty. They can tell you what works for them, but fit is really a subjective thing. For instance, I am 5'11" tall and started out on a Honda CBR300r. Plenty of folks told ne I would be severely cramped on that bike, but I had no particular difficulty in that regard. Lately I have moved up to a Kawasaki Z650. Again, numerous people warned me it would be a bad fit. To the contrary, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. For someone else it may be a torture rack. I recently met a cute young woman who had just completed a 700-mile day on a Harley Sportster that had no windshield. She was fresh as a daisy; I would have been ready for a wheelchair.

Cruisers are somewhat more forgiving when it comes to rider fit, in my opinion. The seats are low, making it easy for shorter riders to reach the ground in comfort, while the feet-forward leg position is comfortable for folks of many different heights. I would bet you'd find the Honda Rebel 500 to be comfortable, but you won't know for sure until you ride one -- or at least sit on one for a bit and see how it feels. Remember, though, that cruisers have an upright seating position that may get uncomfortable after a while at highway speeds unless you have a windshield. Without some shielding, your upper body acts as a sail at faster speeds, and your back and arms will likely start to protest. Around town or just cruising in the country, though, they can be just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points! I Will most likely be driving 50 mph at max, so i Think the rebel Will suit me. Also it is more sporty which would help me through the City as i have a small commute to School which is around 8 miles. I won’t be needing a huge bike to take me on the highway and going over 50 mph. So i Will take your advice and sit on it for some time and maybe even test drive it if that’s an option. Thank you very much for your input!

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Sit on a bunch of bikes.
48 horsepower, was all the power that the old 650 cc British bikes made. How many thousands of riders rode on those. How many films were made with those early bikes. I am going to guess that several 500 cc bikes fit in the 48 hp range.

UK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts