Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I'm embarking on another journey, training to be a MSF BRC RiderCoach. Anyone have any advice about the training? I'm doing the pre-course material now.
My advice would be to make dam sure new riders know what to do when they find themselves entering a corner to fast. This week I rode on Wednesday and Thursday in the Smokey Mountains and came upon two separate single bike accidents. Both in turns where it appeared they panicked on the rear brake, one skidded off corner luckily he and his riding companion on the back were unhurt and just had to pick up the bike. Other accident was in a corner that I seen numerous single motorcycle accidents on the Cherohala Skyway, they lock the rear, then high side into the pavement or guardrail. I was stopped by sheriffs on Thursday telling me of accident ahead (in same above mentioned corner) and they were waiting upon inbound helicopter to evac rider...…I turned around and took a different route as I didn't feel let waiting.

So what I have trained myself to do in the event I find my self entering to fast is get off the brakes and counter steer (lean) it around the corner.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I believe we have at least 2 riding instructors but not sure they are MSF. Shouldn't matter. They may have some hints for you. I think RonK was or is one for ATVs but that shouldn't matter either. Coaching/teaching is pretty basic. But I'd bet they would all remind you of one thing. That not everyone has the mindset, balance or discipline to ride safely and they should be informed of that if you see it. No use wasting their time or yours on someone that very well might kill themselves if they insist on continuing.

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

As an MSF coach, you will be trained to a certain method of teaching basics. The organization feels it necessary for you to toe the line, which means your independent preferences are not allowed. That has some validity to it. It is mostly important.

I found that along with the orthodox comes a responsibility to add local items of importance. One example would be to have extra concentration on city traffic habits if you were near a large metro area. For off road riding in the Rocky Mountains, I developed a method of safe recovery on mountain mining roads that was beyond the normal course. These local items won't usually be included in the regular course curriculum.

Many of the actions for bike riding where I personally make comments on sites like this come from my study, observation, or learned habits. Those learned habits of yours should be shared if they have definite validity other than solely opinion.

--

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished the first weekend of training. I can say it's comprehensive challenging, and grueling at the same time. 1 more weekend of training and then doing our first student teaching class with real students the following weekend.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Great, good luck with the rest of the classes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm officially an MSF BRC coach. It was an awesome experience. I really enjoyed it. We taught a class as our final evaluation. I absolutely loved working with the people helping them succeed and hopefully being safe on the road.
It's really rewarding

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Good for you, sounds like a rewarding experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts