Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put about 90 miles on the Indian this morning, on a planned breakfast ride to Pierce City, Missouri but my Favorite little greasy spoon was closed:surprise: It upset me enough that I just rode home:smile_big:

Along the way back, I stopped at an old favorite place of mine where a 100+ year old bridge goes over a great local fishing river in LaRussel, Missouri, about 20 miles from my home, in farm country:grin: Picture's below!

The smell of fresh cut hay to me is as sweet as the smell of Napalm in the morning and the bailer's were everywhere! I just had my second cutting a few weeks ago.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I was driving for a living, sometimes I would pull over, stop, and smell the roses, as it were. Seriously, when the farmers were cutting, it was nice to just sit in a pullout area and smell the fresh cut Hay. It was a great way to spend time taking a break. Oh....nice pics, Sam.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Smelling the different fragrances when riding is one of the things those in cages miss. I also like the smell of fresh cut hay. Especially Alfalfa hay but just about any freshly cut and worked hay smells great. Not so much when you are the one working it though. I couldn't believe my trip meter yesterday after our ride to get a hamburger. Exactly 200 miles. I don't think I've ever hit it like that. Wish our temps had dropped more. The thermometer on the bike said 100º which normally means 98º. Had to take my jacket off well before the half way point so I knew it was going to be another warm one. Was still a great ride. Only smell I got yesterday was fresh chip sealed roads.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
399 Posts
Porky, I thought I would get a beautiful covered bridge and all I got was my old Erector Set and a Movie Quote. :smile: Seriously, on a motorcycle, the destination may be a disappointment but getting there is really wonderful. :grin:

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Nice. Neat looking old bridge. It's funny how good bikes and (cars too) look so good posed in front of rusty old structures, not sure why, but they do!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nice photo with the bridge in the background.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Porky said:
There used to be an old bridge in Osceola that crossed the Osage river by the dam, way back in history, that had a sign that read something like, Cross bridge at your own risk. I crossed it several times but it was very spooky and I could see that if you wondered off the extra support for the 2 tire track paths you would be in deep doo doo. It stayed open for as long as I could remember like that until someone finally plunged about 50 feet to the water below. It wasn't just closed but removed after that(I think. Memory is a little fuzzy about that part). Today, even the dam is underwater. There used to be huge catfish pulled out of the river near the dam as well as carp. This was back in the late 50's and early 60's. I used to live near the town of Vista in the 50's with my parents but Osceola was the big town everyone went to back then. The new dam and new highway changed things but it's still small town USA. Just a lot of the history has been lost to ¿progress?

Sam, you might want to take a day trip up there if you haven't already. There used to be a cheese plant just after you crossed the river going north on the old highway but I think they moved it before the new dam went in. Whether it's still there or not I don't know. I thought it stunk as they processed the curds and whey.:wink2: But the cheese was pretty good.

Looking at a present day map, it looks like NE315RD would be my guess as to where that bridge would have crossed the river if that road extended on into town, which it doesn't look like it does on the map I have. The only thing that seems to be the same or almost same is the bus station. I don't recognize any of the businesses on the map but I might if I was there in person. I was able to find my moms grave in the cemetery just south of town. And that was the first time I'd been able to do that in about 35 years back around 1995 timeframe when I got a chance to be in the area. Anyway, there used to be a lot of history in the town of Osceola. Looks like time has nearly swallowed the town.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds great Larry, I'm always going up in that area when I ride to Stockton Lake, about 50 miles NE from me. Osceola is 92 miles one way, a perfect destination for a Saturday ride:grin:

I have seen thos kind of bridges and crossed a few on my Adventure bikes, riding on a 2x12 board:surprise:

When I was maybe 7 years old I remember crossing a "ROPE suspended" bridge in the country--no poop, it was maybe 200 feet across one of those Muddy Kansas rivers and local vehicles used it all the time! Real scary to me at the time:surprise:

Take care.

Sam:smile_big:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
135 more miles today @ 91 degrees but humidity made it register as 99 with NOAA weather service.:surprise:

I had a great lunch in Marionville, MO and made it within 40 miles of home before my tender BUTT just said: "No more Dude, I'm dying here":crying: It's either a new seat or a new bike or maybe a new ass like that Kardashian woman has:grin:

I took some iPhone pic's but the phone tells me I've used all of its memory! Sounds like me sometimes:crying:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts