Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I thought they had a computer that wouldn't allow that to happen. Is this just an attempt to show how bad they are with it turned off or is that really how they handle even with steering control?

·
So long
2,739 Posts
That Slingshot is a lot less stable than I would've guessed.

Also, just realized the 3 wheel layout means it's harder to avoid potholes. On a bike it's easy enough to go around a pothole and still stay in your lane. The Slingshot looks too wide to do that without changing lanes. In a car you can straddle a pothole. Try straddling with a Slingshot and that back wheel is likely to take a jolt.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Stability control was shut off on that car just for this purpose. Somehow the driver was not injured, so I guess you could say the car saved his butt!

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I've heard they have horrible traction on wet roads... That ended my romantic feelings towards it. I had thought it would be a great touring machine when we get too old for two wheels: open cockpit, still in the wind, but no balancing issues to be concerned with. Oh, well, there is always a trike conversion kit waiting in the wings...

With three wheel tracks, it will be nearly impossible to miss obstacles in the roadway, except for changing lanes, as mentioned. That is one of the issues with all three-wheeler's. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
My wife says she splits potholes with the tires by riding the edges if too big to completely miss. Or just has to make a BIG swerve.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It only has 5 inches of ground clearance but I'm sure when I would sit in it , it would be much less. We have tree squirrels around here that probably stand a foot tall and would probably wreck that sucker! If ya can't straddle a skunk then you are really in for trouble.:biggrin:

Another thing that bugs me is that the interior is open to the elements! How many times have you parked your bikes in a parking lot when you are touring and seen the floods of Noah almost wash your ride away!!!!

I'm Bi-Polar about the thing as I love it and hate it, want one and don't want one etc!

On Youtube where I got the little clip, there are others where owners are talking about their problems and that also gives me pause.

I would feel safer if it had a FULL CAGE roll bar in it, which could probably be fabricated and the top of the roll cage would allow at least a leather or fabric cover to be placed over the entire top.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I saw one of these yesterday around Laconia - I'm surprised just how big and wide it is! Definitely more of a car, sitting in it with a bucket seat.

Actually, I wonder if they'll allow them onto the strip once it's closed to cars this week....

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
so....not as good in the twisties as some had thought huh?

The stability and traction control was turned off to see if it would flip during high speed abrupt (only a fool would do) maneuvers. Which is why I only recommend disengagement if you want to do donuts in the parking lot.......:biggrin:

These things really do fly through the twisties. :71baldboy:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Land Rover maybe, but no self respecting sports car flips on flat pavement, unless it's going 200mph and gets some air under it.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
If you turn the traction control off on the Slingshot car, you can do cookies and not flip it over. If you shut the stability control off, you can do cookies and flip the car over. Two separate granny safety controls on the 3 wheel car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Didn't like the looks when I first saw one and don't like the control. If i'm going to ride in the elements i just take a saws-all and cut the top off my company car. Nissan Sentra Campbell soup reject.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts