Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
If you wait, all that happens is you get older
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of June 2013 we took off on a great motorcycle trip. We traveled to and thru some 11 different States (LA, TX, OK, KS, NE, WY, MT, ID, UT, CO and NM) little over 4500 smiles I mean miles, great roads (including Beartooth and the Million Dollar Hwy 550), weather (including dust storm and hail), wildlife, scenery and friendship in 10 days.

To see some of the photos from the trip open my profile go to my albums and open the one Yellowstone (note it is 2 pages)
Hope you enjoy the photos because I sure enjoyed the ride to take them.:thumbsup:

:71baldboy:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
You crossed a lot of the same roads we have ridden. I am sure you enjoyed that trip as much as we did in 2010. I am so ready to ride thru there again.

PS...told ya it was beautiful!!! LOL

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You crossed a lot of the same roads we have ridden. I am sure you enjoyed that trip as much as we did in 2010. I am so ready to ride thru there again.

PS...told ya it was beautiful!!! LOL
We spent the night in Riverton, WY and were planning on heading in the South end of Yellowstone but I changed the plans do to we were planning on leaving by that route to go to Jackson Hole, so instead we went from Riverton to Cody and entered thru the East side of Yellowstone. We were all glad with that because we had a surprise that we did not know was there, between Riverton and Thermopolis WY is a canyon that you drive thru. The scenery was amazing.

Did you take that route, and if so what did you thing of it?

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Not the 2010 trip but I have been that way and then we took the Chief Joseph Hwy over. Did you stop at the hot springs at Thermopolis? In 2010 we took Hwy 14 & 14A by the Medicine wheel. Not far from the wheel we saw 2 wild moose. And then thru the high desert which was really unique and HOT. Then up to Red Lodge. That whole area is beautiful. We also rode thru Big Thompson Canyon in Colorado and up Mt. Evans on that trip. Did you by any chance go thru the Black Canyon of the Gunnison park? I could spend a month or more out there & still not see everything that interests me.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the 2010 trip but I have been that way and then we took the Chief Joseph Hwy over. Did you stop at the hot springs at Thermopolis? In 2010 we took Hwy 14 & 14A by the Medicine wheel. Not far from the wheel we saw 2 wild moose. And then thru the high desert which was really unique and HOT. Then up to Red Lodge. That whole area is beautiful. We also rode thru Big Thompson Canyon in Colorado and up Mt. Evans on that trip. Did you by any chance go thru the Black Canyon of the Gunnison park I could spend a month or more out there & still not see everything that interests me.
We had no idea that Thermopolis or the canyon was even there, had we known of the Hot Springs it would have been nice to spend the night there in place of Riverton. That way we could have had a very relax full night kicked back in the springs.

Did not know about the wheel, looks cool and also looks like some good roads to get there.

Before this trip I had talked with our group (10 people on 6 bikes) about Mt. Evans but we were restricted with time. Guess that means another road trip one day.

We were headed South on 50 then the 550 so we did not go by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison park
Could not agree more. And to think this was a great trip but can you imagine having all the time and money to see every thing in the areas mentioned. We would never make it back home and wear out several motorcycles each of us.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Too bad you didn't know about the Hot springs. I like it there better than Hot Springs Ark. It wasn't so commercialized. I haven't been there in 15 years or more though so it may have changed.

I knew about the Wheel and that is 1 of the reasons we went that way. I wanted to see it. Had been up there before but didn't get to see it due to a storm. It's really interesting to me. And yes those roads have a lot of beautiful scenery.

I would say you need to make another trip or 2 and so do we. In my opinion, Mt Evans beats the heck out of Pikes Peak. The Black Canyon is so neat. You are driving along and suddenly there is no land in front of you. I would like to make a trip and ride over more of the "passes".

We had 4 couples on 4 bikes, 2 of which pulled trailers. We really had to keep moving to see all that we did. But we still didn't travel that many more miles than you did, so I'm sure you can relate to that.

I want to go back and start at Glacier National Park and go over into Idaho & then south into Utah. I want to take a slower trip to actually be able to explore more than just the highlights.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to take a slower trip to actually be able to explore more than just the highlights.
Agreed, with coming from South Louisiana and trying to do it all in 10 days is a bit much. This trip was 2 days for Yellowstone and 1 day for Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highway (note the weather was not looking the best so we had to cut off the Chief and head back to Grant Village in Yellowstone) that means 3 days to get there and 4 to head back. As Supertramp would say we took "the long way home". That way we could hit the 550.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts