Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone buy em? Anyone like em? I'm talkin "BeadRider" brand.

One of the fellas had some on his bike yesterday. I'm wondering how comfortable it can BE to sit on beads (I know I've seen em for car seats, but on a bike?)

I'm figuring they must do a number on a seat however, (over time) right?

Of course, the guy who had these (who said they allow "air" down there) doesn't need to worry about money to replace seats. He'd just go out and buy another new HD (he's one of those type who buys new every year or two).

Anyway.........what about the beads......you like em? Expensive? Wood -vs- Plastic Beads?

Next years "change" to my bike will probably be the exhaust system, but this is one of those minor changes that I'd consider if I was really sold on it (which I'm not yet).

On this second trip to Jamestown Island, I found that the cooler temps cut down some the butt burn anyway, so maybe the secret is to do my touring rides in cooler temperatures exclusively?!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have the Bead Rider and use it if it's warm or raining.

Keeps you cool then it's warm and it also helps to keep you dry when it's raining. It lets the water run off the seat.

Hot! -

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have the Bead Rider and use it if it's warm or raining.

Keeps you cool then it's warm and it also helps to keep you dry when it's raining. It lets the water run off the seat.

Hot! -

After seeing where this bike has gone, I would take the advice of the owner and I will be buying some beads!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
After seeing where this bike has gone, I would take the advice of the owner and I will be buying some beads!
The Bead Rider really does work well.
A large V-Twin with a full fairing can get hot and the Bead Rider lets me ride all day. On longer rides I don't leave home without it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Anyone use the sheep skin seat covers? I have been looking very hard at them because I heard they are great for hot and cool riding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone use the sheep skin seat covers? I have been looking very hard at them because I heard they are great for hot and cool riding.
I have ridden several times with a sheepskin on long trips. I think it makes a little difference. I forgot to take it on our last long ride and rode 6 - 400 mile days without much problem.

I think it really depends more on just how comfortable your seat is to start with.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Anyone mentions seat beads and all I can think of is the scene in Men in Black where "K" spots the beads laying on the street and tells "J"

"He's in a cab!"

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soupy57, I ordered it from the Butt Buffer company. Contact is buttbuffer. They use the sheepskin cover with a hospital solid 1/4 inch gel pad under it, it only raises the rider 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Reviews where great.
Sorry about the later reply when to bed early. We are on vacation at my Daugther's
Soupy57 here is the email address. [email protected]

thanks

-Soupy

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
We've ridden with them since 2009, on two different bikes: '79 Honda CB750K, and a '93 Kawasaki Voyager XII. Logged a 1900+ mile tour on the Honda, using them -- could not have made it without! Have used them, a sheepskin, and a newer product my wife found in JoAnn's Fabric Store, which is a cheap knock-off of the Air Hawk cushion. We even tried an Air Hawk, but it did not work for either one of us, and, yes, we played with the air, going as low as we could, but it just did not work for either one of us.

The wooden beads are an extender, as well as all of the others. They will 'extend' your ride, but they won't prevent your pelvic bones from hurting -- eventually, they will hurt, no matter what.

The beads we got were between $20-$40 per set. The sheepskin was around $60, and the Air Hawk was used, for around $100-$120. The knock-off cushion from JoAnn's Fabric was around $40. We alternate between the Jo-Ann's unit, and the beads. The others have their place (aside from the Air Hawk...), but the two we prefer are weather-proof.

The beads will allow plenty of air flow, particularly noticeable in colder weather... Or when it is wet -- you will get some moisture down there.

As far as wear and tear on the seat: none. They leave temporary impressions in our OEM vinyl seats, but they've never torn them, having ridden a combined total of over 14,000 miles of touring with them.

Find what works for you -- it varies from rider to rider, unfortunately, so you will need to experiment a bit. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ordered the gel pad covered with sheep skin and boy what a difference no more hot butt. Made so much difference I wish I had done it sooner. Also no more sweat wet pants. The ride is so much more comfortable and I can't tell that it raised me up any at all. As you can tell I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I, too, had a sheepskin cover for my old Suzuki S40. Bought it from The Sheepskin Factory in Denver, CO. Not sure how much it helped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts