Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this slick little plug-in voltage meter when needing to bump up an order from Amazon to get free shipping. Cost is $15. Plugs right into the battery tender pigtail on your bike.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Quick and easy. Not too much money. Though a multimeter or voltmeter will do the same thing. Stick the probes into the Tender leads. I do like that it has the lights to quickly know where things stand without having to remember what levels are good or not.

Battery Tender is my favorite brand of maintainer. I've had a two bank charger for years, and I just jumped up to a four bank last month. It maintains my 3 bikes that use batteries, plus the boat battery. The two bank now keeps my plow ATV ready to go, with an extra bank ready for whatever I need. The battery in my Sporty went 8 years before needing replacement. The battery in my Ultra is 9 years old and still working great. I give the credit to the Battery Tender.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'll also give some credit to Deka, who makes the HD brand batteries. Mine in my FLHR lasted 9 years and my wife's Heritage lasted, I think, 7 years, and we're a little too casual about using the tender.

I wish I had invested in a 4 bank charger. I have 4 individual BT Jr's now, and I prefer that brand, but a 4 bank just seems more.....orderly...or something. :)

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a shop not too far from me in Clarks, NE... Central Nebraska Wings N' Things... whose specialty is trike conversions. They run a couple of ten bank battery tenders keeping all of the bikes in his showroom/shop hooked up year round. When I remarked on it, he said nothing looks worse to someone interested in a 20-30K bike than going to start it and having it barely turn over.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
My 07 was swapped about a year ago but I put it in a mini truck and it's still working. All the time it's been on a BT Jr. when not in use. I think any battery maintainer would get the same results but not sure since I've actually only been using these things since getting the 07. I got sold on them quickly with all the batteries I have around here. I saw this cute little meter but with a multi-meter didn't see the need. So is spending $15 worth saving $7.50 in shipping charges? I'd probably do it too just on account. I think shipping charges is a racket in and of it's self.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'd get one of the BT meters if I was bumping up to shipping too. I have several multi-meters hanging around, and it's not something I'd go out and buy normally, but for an add on and to throw it in the saddle bag? Sure!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I'll also give some credit to Deka, who makes the HD brand batteries.
I do. Which is why I paid a little more money to replace my Sporty's battery with another of the same from the HD dealer. I could have paid half that for some generic at an auto parts store, but I've never gotten 8 or 9 years from any of those over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts