Motorcycle Forum banner

Battery Problem?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ccRider246 
#1 ·
Hey all. I seem to be having a bit of a problem with my battery (I think). I just bought my bike ( a 2005 GS500f) in April. Shortly after, I had both carbs rebuilt, new spark plugs, tank flush and oil flush/change done due to intermittent power problems.

A few weeks after that, I had my battery taken to a local parts store and they did a trickle charge on it overnight. She ran great until Sat.

I was ready to go out, had her warmed up, gear on, went inside to check something and turned my bike off when I did (I don't ever let her out of my sight when she is running). When I came back out, she wouldn't start. Did some ticking at me and wouldn't turn over. I put her back in the garage and left it at that.

Sunday I went to the garage and she started right up. I kill switched her and started her again. On the forth time, she wouldn't start. Ticked at me again... Tonight she fired right up.

I have her on a trickle charger right now, but I have no idea what is going on! I would like to try to figure out if it is the battery (so I can get a new one and get on with riding) or if it may be something more significant.

Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems weird to me that a battery would work, not work then work again. Test it with a multi-meter, if you don't have one get one, you'll want it around anyway. But one thing I have to ask is, when you started it did you try pulling the clutch in? On my bike the neutral switch is faulty and sometimes it will start without the clutch in, other times I will need to pull the clutch in to start it.

#3 ·
That's what I thought too, that it was really weird to start after sitting for a period of time. It's almost like it is recharging itself.

As far as pulling the clutch in, I have to every time I start her. She won't even give a hint of power if I don't, even when she is in neutral.

I am new to owning a bike but not to fixing cars, but this is baffling me. If it is the battery, then when it is dead, it should stay dead until a charge. At least that's how cars are.

That is why I thought I would ask here. I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a new battery if that is not the problem, lol.

So far, she seems to be the eternal money pit! :(

#8 ·
The battery was thought to be less than a year old. That is what the old owner told me, but he also told me that it ran great and a week after I bought it I started losing power intermittently. So, I am not quite sure how old the battery was.

I just went and bought a new one yesterday and have had it charging all night. Going to take her out this afternoon. Will let you know how it goes :)

#10 ·
Check the ground

You said you took the battery out and had it charged. That makes me wonder if you have a loose ground wire connection on the battery. I had the same symptoms you have and found out the ground was just loose enough to allow it to intermittently loose contact and when it did the bike would not start.

#13 ·
Whee! Okay, so I took her out today. She fired right up (well, almost, lol). She rode great and even after sitting in my grandparents' driveway for 6 hours, she fired right up for the ride home!

I did take a wire brush to the connectors before I hooked up the new battery. The negative was looking a little grimy.

Thank you Eric for the link ;) I will be sure to read up on that so that I can be a little more aware of the problems and hopefully avoid "burning" through another battery. Thanks again.

Thank you all so much for all the help! I really, truly appreciate it :)

*Bree*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.