Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am looking at getting some heated gloves. I really don’t want the kind that hooks up the battery though. Don’t want to mess with the bike in that way. Has any one used any of the battery powered ones? If so how have they worked out for you ?

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
After one winter season of riding with electrified gloves, I realized finally it was the only way to go. I've trie everything else including the most expensive winter gloves and heated grips. Electric gloves wins hands down.

Now a couple years later I've realized another thing. 12v gloves are great but I find after riding for over an hour my hands still get cold even with them running on the highest setting. Many many times I have wished I had battery operated as well. So I could get my hands warm again once I get where I'm going and standing outside still. Best of both would be carrying a 12v power source for that purpose

But possibly just having battery operated would have worked. I just don't know how long they would work. In my case I would need at least 6 hours. But I'm talking about riding in below freezing temps and standing for long periods. So I too will be looking into battery operated with an eye open for a 12v power source that isn't huge and rechargeable.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
So I too will be looking into battery operated with an eye open for a 12v power source that isn't huge and rechargeable.
Try looking at 4 cell Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFe) batteries. Fully charged, they are 14.4V, with a nominal output of 13.2V, same range as your bike's charging system. Also, LiFe is more stable than a LiPo type, which can be a fire hazard, if not handled carefully; and LiFe has nearly as much energy storage in the same package. If you know the current draw of your gloves, you can calculate what size battery you need. For example, if your gloves draw 1/2A total, for a 6 hour duration, you would need a little over 3Ah (or 3000mAh). You don't want to fully discharge a lithium battery, so make that 3600mAh. Of course, you would need a charger suited for LiFe. A 3600mAh LiFe battery weighs around a pound, and some come with built-in circuitry that prevents over-charging and keeps the cells at the same charge.

Of course, if your gloves draw 1/2A each, you would need a battery twice that size, or about 7Ah. Now, you are looking at batteries marketed for replacing small motorcycle batteries. Still, lots smaller and lighter than a similarly-sized lead acid AGM type.

If you get the type with built-in protection, you can charge them with a battery tender, but a charger made for LiFe is better.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After one winter season of riding with electrified gloves, I realized finally it was the only way to go. I've trie everything else including the most expensive winter gloves and heated grips. Electric gloves wins hands down.

Now a couple years later I've realized another thing. 12v gloves are great but I find after riding for over an hour my hands still get cold even with them running on the highest setting. Many many times I have wished I had battery operated as well. So I could get my hands warm again once I get where I'm going and standing outside still. Best of both would be carrying a 12v power source for that purpose

But possibly just having battery operated would have worked. I just don't know how long they would work. In my case I would need at least 6 hours. But I'm talking about riding in below freezing temps and standing for long periods. So I too will be looking into battery operated with an eye open for a 12v power source that isn't huge and rechargeable.
That's Ideally what I want. I wouldn't even mind some USB powered ones that I could connect to a powerbank. Then again my riding is almost done for the year. This is just my second year of riding. Never did cold weather in the morning until this year. I would only need them running when riding in to work which takes about 45 minutes. Just seems like forever when my hands get cold. I've never been looking forward to getting to work in the morning until this week.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
I'm just the opposite, I am looking for recommendations for heated 12v gloves w/regulator that plugs into my electrical system.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
You can pick from 3 Critter. Gerbing I believe is what Harley rebrands theirs from and is pretty much considered to be top rated. But there is also First Gear and Tourmaster.

And you can get positive and negative reviews on all of them. I'd bet they all have China components if not totally made there but I don't know that for fact. It's just hard not to find it that way today.

I've had my Gerbings for 3 winters now and they are still working for whatever that means. They used to be 100% guaranteed but I don't believe that's true anymore. That's one reason I'd bet they are China made now.

None of them are inexpensive. But if you ride for more than 20 minutes you'll say they'd be cheap at twice the price. I personally would like to be able to keep getting the warmth after I stop so the only way is to stay plugged in. Then switch quickly to another pair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For wireless, I have the FLY Racing gloves and really like them. Come with a charger that charges both battery packs at the same time. Battery life seems to be about 2-4 hours depending on setting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For wireless, I have the FLY Racing gloves and really like them. Come with a charger that charges both battery packs at the same time. Battery life seems to be about 2-4 hours depending on setting.
Thanks for the recommendation. looking in to it now.

·
14,296 Posts
Thanks Hog, any particular model of the Gerbing?

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I'm not sure I'm much help here. I have G3 gloves. That is straight 12v only. Apparently Gerbing now has G-12 and XR-12 where, with the correct controller, a battery pack could be used as well. I got totally confused reading their site.

So if you only want a straight 12v bike connection the G3's are available on Amazon or eBay. I've also seen G-12 in "Hero" and "Glyde" and the best I can figure is one has a cuff and the other a gauntlet style. These are all leather same as G3 and you can get the same in textile. Yeah, it's totally confusing now.

They only had G3(still available) when I got mine. Be sure to get the controller though. Without it you'll burn your hands. I got the double because I also got their jacket liner so I got everything at one time. The jacket liner defiantly keeps me toasty warm on my multi-hour rides but the gloves alone are fine for a hour or less.

And to be absolutely honest I'm not sure I'm reading all this correct. They have certainly clouded the issue but it really looks like they are attempting to have a glove that will work on and off the bike now. It may be that my G3's are simply generation 3 of G-12 gloves. I'm just not sure.

I do see they still have their lifetime warranty on the wiring but I got lost with the controller differences but I do know G3's are straight 12v and you can get a single or double controller. I just went with eBay and the cheapest dealer that offered free shipping. See, not much help.

·
14,296 Posts
yes it is confusing. I will probably go to the BMW dealer here and ask.

·
14,296 Posts
Cycle Gear caries them

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
My wife and I have had great luck with the Sedici branded heated gloves from Cyclegear. I used them all fall and winter, still working great. China made..just like everything else I'm sure. Built in 3 step electronic controllers in the gloves, all you need is the plug on the bike, or they sell and adapter to hook them up to that standard connector used on battery mainainers. I have never left them on the high setting for long, even in 25 degree weather they are more than warm enough on medium.
The only quirk is that they have to be turned on after the bike is running and they turn themselves off if you stall and restart the bike, not a problem, just something to watch out for.

I'm just the opposite, I am looking for recommendations for heated 12v gloves w/regulator that plugs into my electrical system.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hooking up the gloves to the battery is really not a big deal. You just install a 'pigtail', which stays on the battery, with a connector that you just leave 'accessible', that you plug the end of the cable to your 'gloves' into. I got a set of Gerbings off eBay for about $80 (normally $180!), and they worked great! As a matter of fact, the first time I used them, they worked so well, they burned my hand! I contacted the company, with pictures of the wire sticking out of the inside insulation and the burn on my hand, and their only questions were, 'what size?' and 'where do we send them?' About a week later, I had a brand new pair of gloves! I've heard from others, though, that their 'customer service' and 'warranty support' has gone down the 'file 13' since then, but maybe they were scared of a lawsuit, in my case, so did it for me anyway. Who knows? All I know is they work GREAT! I've ridden in as cold as 13 degrees WITHOUT the wind chill, and my fingers have still been 'toasty' warm. I got a set of glove liners off another guy on another forum, but haven't had a chance to test them out inside my regular deerskin gauntlets, but they should do fine. I've seen the liners going for about $40 on eBay and Amazon, so the cost would DEFINITELY be worth it!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am looking at getting some heated gloves. I really don’t want the kind that hooks up the battery though. Don’t want to mess with the bike in that way. Has any one used any of the battery powered ones? If so how have they worked out for you ?

Give Biker Rags in Knoxville Tennessee a call.
They have a fb page and website, however you would probably need to call and tell them what you are looking for. Owners are Jeff and Pam Huggins, Store manager is Silas, they have been around a LONG time and people here Love them and their store. They have always taken a ride on Tuesdays even during cold weather and post video, pics and a thread that you can follow showing all about each ride and they use the products they sell and post accurate evaluations of how their products work.! Good Stuff if you are ever gonna be in this area..
Got some of the best prices I have EVER seen on most riding wear, Gloves Helmets, Chaps, Leather, etc. etc. including Battery and electric Gloves ,and Lined and unlined Chaps.
Fact is I was just out there looking at what they have as far as Gloves and Chaps and they have a large selection of Gloves and Leather including Chaps in a couple different price options, i.e. Lined and unlined, Expensive and Value priced.
Good Luck!!!!! and Let me know if this helps you!
and NO, I am not related to them!!, not best friends with anyone there and do not work there, Its just that they do a LOT for area motorcyclists by hosting Ride Ins, Special events, Swap meets, Vintage Bike shows etc. often picking up some or most of the tab for refreshments etc. as well as allowing people to use their parking lot for special events ,swap meets etc. Not many small business owners around anymore that contribute that significantly to area riders. Just REALLY GOOD PEOPLE !
Regards
Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts