Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced the rectifier and the battery thinking this would possibly fix the battery not charging problem. I have a battery voltage indictor that shows the battery at 12 volts when sitting in off position. When i start the bike the indicator doesn't show any change. reving the motor increasing the rpms doesn't change anything, and after a few minutes the indicator shows the battery losing voltage. I checked the stator and it looks in good condition, no burn marks or anything. Does anyone know whether the stator goes bad, or whether i can assume the stator is bad if the rectifier and the battery are new? the stator is pricy and i don't want to buy a new one if i don't have to. The manual shows ways of testing ohms across certain wires but they say the meter has to be a certain kind of meter that has really sensitive ohm readings and i'm not sure which meter does this. I'm an electrician and i have a decent multimeter but it is for higher voltage/amperage/ohmage readings?

anyone know what's going on?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Let's start with some basics. A fully charged battery should show 12.6 volts or above. 50% discharged will be 12.3 volts. A charging system that is working (rpm's above 2000) should show 13.5 volts or above.

The rectifier turns AC (from the stator) to DC to charge the battery. So you probably want to see if you're getting AC out from your stator.

Damaged wires, blown fuses, corroded connectors, loose grounds... are the cause of more charging system malfunction than failed components.
So check all your continuity before buying parts. And that means finding yourself a wiring diagram online somewhere.

Attempting to check the resistance of windings on a stator/alternator is virtually impossible; meters simply don't read stuff below 10 ohms all that accurately. Better to check for opens and shorts, and functionality.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
two problems cause that...
bad connections and connections that are backwards.
There is also the gremlin the system scenario...

As I remember, charging happens only between the generator and the battery. There is no other place you can measure the voltage of the charge; the regulator turns the overcharge off and has nothing to do with the power that is generated to charge the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts