Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've recently started riding in the UK and have a 2014 Honda nc700 for my daily commute. It has been running great for past couple of months, but today would not start. Just sounded like an old style door buzzer. I've not got a jump set or charger and being new in the area have no contacts to help me out. Stupidly I don't have call out cover. Just wondering if there might be a wider person than me out there who could advise me what's best to do.
Buy new battery, buy a charger, buy a portable jump start, take to a garage or something else.

Cheers,

Tom

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
Get a new battery, charged and installed. But before you jump up and down and start riding again, you better find out why your old battery wasn't taking a charge. Could be age but could be a number of other things, in the electrical system including corrosion and poor contacts if not other failed components, voltage regulator or stator. So everything needs a good going over. The use of a voltmeter will be extremely useful as well. Search these forums for how to test those components, it's in here already.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Before buying a new battery, I would first check the starter solenoid and/or start button. Contacts on the connector for the start button can get tarnished and develop a bad connection. That buzz you're hearing could also be the starter solenoid failing to work.

Easy test: Turn on the ignition, then short out the posts on the starter solenoid. If it cranks, your problem is elsewhere (likely the start button). If it does not, your problem could be that solenoid or the battery.

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

Along with HC, I may be wider than you so here's my take. One of the things we forget is if we just use any vehicle over short distances and the battery has not had an adequate running time to fully recharge, then the reserve gradually goes down. In these situations, it will help to pop a trickle charger or battery tender on the bike perhaps once per week during the down time, or more, to get the battery charge back up to full level.

--

·
Visionary
5,266 Posts
I'd buy a charger and charge it up, see if that solves it. If it does and the problem doesn't come back maybe you just had too many short trips or something similar. If it does then you need to check the charging system and or take the battery out and get it tested.

If charging it doesn't work to get you going then you either have a bad battery or another problem..time for more troubleshooting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts