Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this old bike and picked up a new battery today. I charged the battery, put it in the holder, attached the positive, then the ground, and everything works great, but the headlight stays on ALL the time.

I don't want to mess with the battery too much because I don't want an explosion or short.

Can somebody help me out? Am I installing the battery wrong? There's a wire that was connected to the positive end that relays power to the headlight. Do I need to attach it somewhere else?

I don't have an owner's manual yet. Still looking...

Thanks for reading

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The headlight power should be routed through the ignition switch, not directly to the battery. It sounds like someone has done some wiring modifications at one point. The old CB bikes used to have a 3-position headlight switch on the handlebar. Off/Low/High. Can you turn the headlight off there or has that been bypassed?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you mean the headlight stays on all the time, even when the ignition is off, I'd agree with Dodsfall that someone has hosed your wiring, or you have a faulty switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys,

The light control switch only has 2 positions: HI and LO.

What i did not see, was a small metal turning knob on the headlight itself, much like a lamp. just turn, click and ON/OFF she goes...

Stupid, Stupid me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys,

so before I saw the ON/OFF knob on the headlight, i took apart the ignition and looked around at the wires. I loosened the tank, lifted it a bit and looked around under there.

I studied a wiring diagram and tried to diagnose the problem.

Then I found the switch on the headlight, felt really dumb, and reassembled the ignition, put gas tank back, etc.

I charged the battery, the electric start kicks the bike over, starts her up, horn works, headlight goes on...

But i hit my left blinker and the engine cut out.

Started her back up, hit the high beam switch and the engine cuts out.

Weird stuff. I hope I didn't connect anything wrong? No idea at this point. Going to tinker with it now...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might have messed up some wires when I put the ignition and horn back on.

The blinkers, high beam and headlight switch all cut the engine.

and I'm pretty sure I started the bike when the ignition was in the OFF position.

I'm gonna take off the tank and headlight tomorrow and get down to business.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I read your post very carefully and noted that you said the only wiring you touched was the horn and the wires to the ignigtion. The horn switch is a non-issue if it is like my 1974 cb360 as it just is a ground wire to the frame
Most probably,your wires to the ign switch are traded around and the bike gets turned off when you use the lights and turn signals. The lights and turn signals and starter should not operate when the switch is off. Do not feel bad about switch confusion--you are not the first to experience it.
Now I'm gonna tell you about 2 tricks i use. First,if you are afraid you are going to fry wiring with your battery,disconnect the battery and use a battery charger set on 2 amps. The 12 volts come thru the same,but your wires stay cool with low amps even if you short them out. Next,a LED light can really make it easy to sort out which wire is hot and which goes to ground. The LED will not light if you switch leads from hot to ground. Saves a ton of time.
I even use the battery charger/led trick to diagnose problems in house wiring circuits by feeding the sub panel or individual circuits with low voltage from a battery charger and using a LED trailer marker lamp to diagnose the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts