Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
New to the motorcycle world and my first attempt at (re)building a 1987 Yamaha Radian YX600. It started out as a rolling frame with motor and carbs; no tank, fenders, lights, seat, etc.
I have several questions as I am trying to locate some parts that I have not been able to find yet.
Let's start out with my mechanical skill: I fix my own cars, but this is my first attempt at a motorcycle.
This bike has a rebuilt motor at the top end and new or rebuilt carbs.
I have the factory service manual on hand printed out but am still having trouble trying to properly run the wiring, mostly grounding the battery and another point further up, under where the gas tank would mount. badrad600.com/radian%20tech.htm
I have a fully charged battery and have attempted to get the wiring harness correctly installed so that I can at least get the motor running. There was no oil in the motor and I added 3 quarts so far, I believe.
I checked the starter yesterday and with a few sparks from the jumper wire, it did crank.
Once I have the ability to get the motor started I can pretty much go from there, with the exception of the throttle cable. The stock or current cable that came with the bike is too short to attach to the proper location in the middle of the carburetor by about 3 1/2 - 4 inches. I know the stock carb is a Mikuni BS30 4 piece, and that is what I believe I'm looking at. The choke cable fits fine but the throttle does not.
I'll post a picture of the carb if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction with this. dropbox.com/s/jhmdh7ifywjn4xe/2015-03-19%2013.09.43.jpg?dl=0

Here is a picture of the bike when I first started: dropbox.com/s/l2agul4t3an935r/2015-03-08%2018.06.07.jpg?dl=0

Any and all insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
throttle cable comes from the grip, around the front of the rh fork tube and under the plastic cover that (may or may not be there) and is sort of zip-tied to the bar under the gas tank and straight down to the carbs... if it is routed like this and is still too short... id get a new cable from yamaha. there is also another guy just redoing his radian on here, might want to read his thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts