Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking a Basic Rider Course in New Jersey. Im wondering what its about, if they dont pass everyone, and what generally goes on in there

·
Newbie Biker
139 Posts
Your indoor session is basic maintenence, pre-ride inspection, basic riding safety, the usage of proper PPE (protective equipment), general classroom stuff. The outdoor (Range) stuff is the on-bike stuff. Finding the friction zone on the clutch, throttle and wrist control, maneuvering, proper and emergency braking, emergency lane change, "obstacle course", slow speed turns, maneuvering over foreign debris on the course

·
Registered
202 Posts
Everyone passed in my class, but one dude was questionable. They suggested he take another course. If I was teaching the course he would not have passed. Hopefully he hasn't gotten killed.
If you can't do everything fairly well, if there's major problems, it might not be for you. If it all goes well, it's the first step in starting to ride.
The next step is your first ride in the "real world". The course is in a parking lot at less that 20 mph. It's a different world at speed with other vehicles.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Funny. In my class, 1 person failed on day 1 out of 10 people. Four people got -15 on their drive test on day 2 (maximum points lost) and barely passed. I wouldn't have passed them. I am a little scared knowing they are on the road. I pray they didn't pass their state test.

·
Motor Gremlin
418 Posts
I just took the MSF course last month, and am scheduled to take the state test in two days. Here in the Midwest we have the option of taking the riding test at the DMV for free "with the use of our own bikes", or we can pay $40 and take it at the same location we took the MSF course at "using the same motorcycles we were trained on". I'm gonna pay the $40 and take it on the MSF course!

Wish me luck ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's totally worth it. I was required to take it for licensing in this state, but if it wasn't required, i still would have taken it. I am WAY more confident than i was before, even after years of road and mt. biking. (my so-called experience)

Do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm taking Indiana ABATE's Basic Rider Course. IN JULY HEAT! Am I right in thinking it will be really hot inside all that gear? How can I keep cool? I'm sensitive to heat, and I'm worried I'd get heat exhaustion on the first day and have to sit out the rest of the class. Typically it gets into the 80s and 90s over here.

A few things I'm thinking:

Helmet choice. I'd prefer the safety of a full-face helmet, but now I'm wondering whether a 3/4 helmet or even a half helmet would be quite safe for the Basic Rider Course. A 3/4 helmet would be cooler, right?

A body cooling vest? There are some motorcycle jackets with mesh in some places, and I wonder whether that would be enough for me to be out for hours under the sun, in helmet, long sleeves, long pants, and boots... What do people do?

In all honesty, I'm doing the Basic Rider Course for the experience. I'd like to learn to ride the motorcycle, but I don't plan to buy a motorcycle and use it as means of transportation. It seems that a lot of practice is required for safe operation, and since I'd use a motorcycle mainly as a recreational vehicle, I don't see how I can get up to speed. I really can't envision going on fun rides more than once a month or every two months because of my work schedule.

Thanks!

Bingley

·
Registered
374 Posts
A long sleeve t-shirt, light gloves, light jeans, light boots, and a half helmet with sunglasses is fine. That is what I wore.

·
Kindergarten Member
530 Posts
Bring a cooler with a ton of ice and water and juice.

LUG it to the course, LUG it to the lot. Use it to sit on during breaks, and drink a TON of water and juice and gatorade.

Wear sunblock. Wear light colored clothes. Wear performance underwear to wick the sweat from you. During breaks, hide in the shade.

I brought a cooler with 4 bottles of water and ice. I drank them all and drank the melted ice water at the end.

Mine was about a year ago and it was 85F humid and it rained at the end.

Good Luck!

·
Kindergarten Member
530 Posts
I mean it started raining when we were finishing up the course. The recommendation is to bring a light rain jacket if it starts to rain. The course runs rain or shine but stops if there is lightning.

I didn't bring a rain suit, I brought a windbreaker that was waterproof. Top stayed dry which was great but my jeans were soaked through. Other folks brought nothing and were just soaked from head to toe.

Edit: Well, not actually "HEAD" to toe. We were wearing helmets. :thumbsup:

·
10,756 Posts
When I took the course they told us that we would ride hot or cold, wet or dry, and to dress accordingly. I had to travel 100 miles to get to where the class was so I just tossed a whole duffel bag full of stuff, just in case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts