Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

This week's review is in response to those who wrote to me requesting a review for a basic, black leather jacket at an affordable price point. I found one which works well and won't break the bank! Check it out.....

-MKL

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
I paid $200- for my leather jacket. They are now $329- Might be less in the US.
There is a leather store in Langley BC that has the Pakistan made products. I have a pair of their leather pants, which I like.
Made a note to look at the jackets the next time I am there. I like the large quick access front pocket on the jacket shown. I need to grab my wallet for the ferry often. But they would not be so good in the rain. I always wear rain gear over my leathers, if it is raining.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To each his own. I certainly see a difference between lower priced gear and the high end stuff, but then again I do this professionally so I'm exposed to a great deal of data. I've seen loads of gear AFTER the riders go down. I've seen what safety stitched kevlar looks like vs. nylon, or what buffalo hide looks like vs. 0.5mm cowhide, or what cordura looks like. It's not really a subjective matter - it's fairly factual, actually.

Like I always say - buy the best gear you can afford, and then try your best not to find out if it actually works!

-MKL

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
To each his own. I certainly see a difference between lower priced gear and the high end stuff, but then again I do this professionally so I'm exposed to a great deal of data. I've seen loads of gear AFTER the riders go down. I've seen what safety stitched kevlar looks like vs. nylon, or what buffalo hide looks like vs. 0.5mm cowhide, or what cordura looks like. It's not really a subjective matter - it's fairly factual, actually.

Like I always say - buy the best gear you can afford, and then try your best not to find out if it actually works!

-MKL
A lot of people put money before quality and safety. Good enough, is the attitude, I think. I posted my thoughts on my Fox Creek jacket. It's a few down in this forum. American made, heavy leather, and lifetime guarantee from a very reputable business. But it is not cheap. Not one comment or thought on the thread. Now we have here a low cost jacket review, and the thread is pretty busy. Now I won't say my review is as stimulating as your video, so that might be it. But it is interesting how high quality gear gets little interest while people flock to the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of people put money before quality and safety. Good enough, is the attitude, I think. I posted my thoughts on my Fox Creek jacket. It's a few down in this forum. American made, heavy leather, and lifetime guarantee from a very reputable business. But it is not cheap. Not one comment or thought on the thread. Now we have here a low cost jacket review, and the thread is pretty busy. Now I won't say my review is as stimulating as your video, so that might be it. But it is interesting how high quality gear gets little interest while people flock to the cheap stuff.
That's a really good point. A few weeks ago, I posted a review of Harley's FXRG - $700 jacket.
In the original (non-edited) WRITTEN review which I published in Thunder Press mag, I actually mentioned Fox Creek, because I've tried them and they are truly excellent, for much less than HD's gear. (I also mentioned Aerostich, Motoport, and other American made gear that cost much less than the Indonesian-made HD jacket and performed better, in my opinion.) Some of the other jackets I've tested are of textiles, including my own Motoport which (when everything is added up) tops $1,000.00.

I can understand that some people don't have that kind of scratch for a jacket. That's fine - that's why they wrote to me and asked me to review something that cost less, but still had some good features. So, this Skeid is the one I found. I am sure there are others too. I try to compare RELATIVELY - meaning I'm not going to compare the $169 Viking Cycle jacket to my $1,000 Motoport. That's ridiculous to do - and it's also frankly ridiculous to think that there is no difference between the two, either. Most of the expensive gear - not all, but most - that I test is leagues above the less expensive stuff in materials, quality, and durability. It's expensive for a reason, in other words.

-MKL

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
My comments are generalizations about price. When it comes to making a decision, I need to fondle the item. My original trade is upholstery. Part of that involves a knowledge of leather and tanning. We had a large tannery across the street in NZ. I have been there many times. Some of the cheap leather products are not true one piece / slice of cow hide. They have layers, often using a pig outer skin, and cow inner skin. These products will de-laminate and tear apart. So I will not buy a leather product online, nor any other riding gear for that matter. The products from Pakistan have kept the price down. Likely due to cheaper cows, labour and tannery costs.
I am a past owner of a set of one piece custom fitted Lewis Leathers from London UK. Missed meeting Ago by one day.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
77 Posts
You actually can have an excellent leather jacket at a low price if you have patience. I just bought the best quality leather bomber style jacket I've ever owned from eBay. It was old, looks, feels and smells like new, weighs about 5 lbs. and is extremely comfortable on and off the bike. It took over 6 months to find it but it was worth the effort. I paid $73 for a jacket which if it had a Harley logo on it, would easily sell for over $500. I don't do logos, so it is perfect for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.