Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 SV650S and the mirrors on it aren't very good. They seem to be configured to narrow...l can see each lane beside me but l cannot see if there is a car directly behind me. Does anyone have bar end mirrors, and are they better for this? If so, what is a good brand? Are there other mirrors l might want to check out? Thanks in advance :)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
Sadly there are many Bikes out there that the OEM Mirrors show nothing but your shoulders even after adjusting at every angle .. Not being a Fan of Bar End Mirrors, I found usually the best solution is get extenders that raise them up and out .. This is a very easy process and economical way to go as well ..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...do you just buy them at a motorcycle shop Joe? I have never heard of them? Can l ask why you aren't a fan of the bar end type?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The problem with bar end mirrors is that they make the motorcycle a lot wider. Have to keep that in mind when parking in confined areas.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Extender-Adapter-Suzuki-SV1000/dp/B008TV9KSA[/ame]

Hawk:

If you Google "SV650 mirror extenders," you will find a boat-load of info.
Good luck!

goalie

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A lot of the bar end mirrors are also ridiculously small. Extenders might be the best bet.

Personally, I just move my head a bit to see directly behind.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
--

Another problem with bar end mirrors is that you will bump into them all the time, especially when getting on and off. Sometimes they can be hard to mount as many handlebars have weights permanently glued in near the end and not enough hollow tube to install them.

--

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of the bar end mirrors are also ridiculously small. Extenders might be the best bet.

Personally, I just move my head a bit to see directly behind.
I have tried that Dodsfall, but l am 6'3" and really long-waisted. I sometimes get lucky on a curve but for the most part, l just can't get my torso out of the way.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
I have tried that Dodsfall, but l am 6'3" and really long-waisted. I sometimes get lucky on a curve but for the most part, l just can't get my torso out of the way.
--

I know how that can be. I used to be long waisted, but over the years, my waist has gotten squashed down and out.:biggrin:

--

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
My Bandit 1200 came with bar end mirrors and I've actually been pretty impressed with them. As far as making the bike wider, yes, they do, but my saddle bags make the bike wider still so thats a moot point.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
knew a guy who rode a lot of traffic and swore by bar-end mirrors. but as others have said - they do make your bike wider and are easy to bump.

If you get long-stem mirrors (or extenders), the problem is extra vibration in the mirrors. so the images are more blurry.

this is a hard battle to win.

as discussed on other threads, NOTHIN beats turning your head over your shoulder and looking beind you. Never rely totally on mirrors! there are certain traffic situations where mirrors will FAIL ... even if you are using them perfectly. Mirrors are "one more tool in the toolbox - but not the final answer".

cheers,
dT

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have these little round mirrors on my trucks regular mirrors that give a better idea of what is behind you. I don't know what they are called, but they help me when it comes to backing the truck up. You stick them onto the the regular mirror. I'm wondering if these would help?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I have these little round mirrors on my trucks regular mirrors that give a better idea of what is behind you. I don't know what they are called, but they help me when it comes to backing the truck up. You stick them onto the the regular mirror. I'm wondering if these would help?
Spot mirrors, I don't know if the mirrors on my bike are big enough to put a spot mirror on them though....too small of a spot mirror and it just does no good....

until I get longer stems, I just turn my head when I need to see what's behind me...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might just get a set and give them a try. I have been riding on the freeway more since l originally posted this, and everything is getting easier. I just hit 500 miles since l bought my bike and l feel a lot more confident than l did just a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So l bought a set of the mirror extenders. I got them on Ebay for about $25, they are 1" extenders made by CNC.

I had to do some minor modifications to them. They weren't cut exactly the same as my bike for the mounting holes, so l had to bore one hole out a little bit with a 1/2" drill bit, about an eighth of an inch deep. Then l had to cut about 3/8 of an inch off of the allen bolts, as they came too long. All in all, though, these were simple adjustments, and the end result was great! I can now see the lane directly behind me, from either mirror, just by moving my elbow in a little bit. I feel much safer, and l think this was definitely the way to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts