Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a Bandit 1200 2006 the bike was running fine last week, I had a week off so the bike wasnt ridden to work, went to start it monday morning and no go?
The engine didnt turn over, the head light went dim when I hit the starter button but nothing didnt even turn over.
I have bought a new battery and fully charged it put the new battery on but still the same issue.
I have tried to bump start it but this didnt work either.
I have read about the clutch switch and side stand switch, the side stand switch I believe will only cut the engine when the bike is put in gear so I dont think this is the issue.
Is there a way I can bypass these clutch / side stand controls to see if the starter moter is shot?
Also apparently there is a way of shorting the starter solenoid to turn the starter over? Is this simply by putting a screwdriver across the two terminals, is this ok to do if this is the case?
Thanks for your replies in advance.
Simon.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The first thing I would check is that the battery connections are very clean and snug. A corroded or loose connection can have you chasing your tail for days checking other things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
I will recheck the connections to the battery tonight, as said it is a new fully charged battery but will check connections

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, got home tried to start the bike again and it fired up first time!?
I tried to start my bike without pulling in the clutch lever and had the same result as before headlight went dim and engine didn't turn over.
Confident that the problem was a loose connection on the clutch switch. Took both spade connections off gave them a clean and refitted. Starts first time again.
Might bypass this by connection the wires together as it seems a lot of people have done.
Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the boards from Edmonton, AB Canada (The place sasquatch calls home)
Glad your bike got going. Intermittent faults are as frustrating as 3 month riding seasons. However, by the sounds of things it could have just been corrosion on the switch. Here's hoping that's all it was.

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
If you haven't done it already, you might ask your question in the repair section. Many never look in the intro area so will have missed it. In the mean time though.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts