Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year is probably the most dangerous of all concerning wildlife and collisions. Fall is not only hunting season in most parts of the country but also deer mating season causing Bambi's hormones and desires to breed override any caution around the roads. Other animals will be searching for diminishing food supplies that will also send them scurrying across the road to get to that other food source that wasn't needed during the boom time of summer. Let's all be careful and watch out along the sides of the road.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
No doubt, but around here they're always a problem after dark. Also the amount of skunk carcasses on the road this weekend was unreal.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dark? Oh yeah! But here, they're a problem in the broad daylight, as well! 24-hour problem here, I would say - not that I'm out much at 4 a.m.

No doubt, but around here they're always a problem after dark. Also the amount of skunk carcasses on the road this weekend was unreal.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I just wear my hunting gear when I ride.. Won't be a deer for miles...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Just keep your eyes on the edge of the woods...........look for that triangular shape (snout/ears) ..........keep yourself as centered in the lane as possible in those likely areas where they can pop out, to give yourself some maneuvering time.....stuff like that.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Just keep your eyes on the edge of the woods...........look for that triangular shape (snout/ears) ..........keep yourself as centered in the lane as possible in those likely areas where they can pop out, to give yourself some maneuvering time.....stuff like that.

-Soupy
You've obviously never had a close encounter. It isn't the ones you see. It's the ones you don't see until too late because they come out of no where that will get you. Deer radar would make me a billionaire.:p

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hogcowboy definitely has a point. About three years ago I was driving down the road in a cage only about a mile from my house. I never saw the deer until it was directly in front on my car. I barely had time to hit the brakes before contact - over $1500 in body damage to the front of the car.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Dark? Oh yeah! But here, they're a problem in the broad daylight, as well! 24-hour problem here, I would say - not that I'm out much at 4 a.m.
Goes w/o sayin'....;) They're hell when they're in rut.

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
It's already started around here, the other day I saw 5 or 6 deer on the 9 mile back road I was driving to the highway, way more than the usual 1 or 2. I was riding with my bright on so I saw them with plenty of time, I downshifted and slowed from 50-30 then rolled the throttle on hard for a second, the pipes barking like that usually scare them back into the woods, it worked this time. Then the one that really got my attention was the one I saw about 15 minutes later just as I roared past it about 6 feet away on the ( usually deer free) Interstate, it stepped out of the woods and over the guardrail and stopped on the shoulder, I was in the right lane going about 65, I was very glad it stood there and watched...I swear it had a smirk on it's face!

Skunks were out in force too, I saw a couple of dead ones and 1 live, but I can deal with something that size, even if it stinks! The deer scare me, I hit one last winter with my Subaru, $4500 in damage and I was going less than 40 when I hit it. The deer did better than my car did, it got up and walked away and apparently lived, I still see what must be the same deer in that spot from time to time, it has a bad limp and a scar on the side where I hit it but it's still alive and kicking!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

-Soupy
Wait a minute you want us to ride in the oil and drippings in the middle of the road?

·
8,579 Posts
I hit a little Bambi a few months ago, right in front of my house when I'd slowed to about 20 mph and all I saw was a flash of brown, hitting perpendicular to my travel, right in front of my bumper! My big 4x4 just jumped a bit. I was really upset because I hate running over anything alive. My truck only had a few Deer hairs on it.

Missouri has way too many Deer and has top numbers nationally for opening day kills.

Be careful and don't swerve, only if you must as running off the roads is what injures or kills most rider's/ driver's around here.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
LOL Critter!

It's harvest season that move the deer around here, pushing them out of the cornfields. Firearm hunting season will also get them on the move for the week it lasts, because most nitwit hunters today seem to want to chase them in their pickup trucks. The bow hunters don't effect deer movement as much.

Skunks do seem to be common roadkill in the Fall of the year... and don't have a clue why.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Be careful and don't swerve, only if you must as running off the roads is what injures or kills most rider's/ driver's around here.

Sam:coffeescreen:
Also- If you happen to lose control swerving (happens more often than not) Insurance doesn't cover loss of control, they do cover a deer hit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
One other problem with deer. I had one standing in the road so I stopped until it would commit (my luck is so bad if I tried to go around that would be where it moved).

Can came quickly up behind me.
The car scared the deer into action and I continued, but had a close call with the car!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the opposite of my experience in my neighborhood, whenever I come up to deer in my truck they don't move even when I get within twenty feet. They just stand there and look at me in the eye, if I ride towards them on my bikes they run like hell before I get within one hundred feet. Some people in my neighborhood even feed the damn things so I delight in scaring them away any chance I get. If only it were legal to kill them in a residential area.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
ODE - you don't know those Southern MD boys.......

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I thought that was more or less what ODE was suggesting Critter.:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts